Obese to (Ultra)marathoner

Options
jmcowan42
jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
Hello,

My life changed about 2.5 years ago when I made a resolution to lose weight. But let's start before that. I never was athletic when I was younger. I played tennis in high school but never took it seriously. I was never able to run. The most I could do was the mile in junior high and I hated that (it took me like 13 minutes). I was extremely unhealthy in every way. I remember one day getting my blood pressure checked and they had to take me into another room, had me sit down, and take deep breaths before they checked again. I don't remember what the numbers were but I just know the nurse seemed surprised when she seen it so it couldn't have been good. My resting heart rate would be lucky to reach the 70s. I'm extremely lucky and blessed that I did not develop diabetes (especially since it's in my family).

So 2.5 years ago I wanted to lose weight. Like everyone else, I had tried so many times in the past and have failed. So I went about it differently this time around. I wanted to find something that would help me stay motivated. More specifically I wanted to find an exercise that I would enjoy doing and would be proud of when I say I could do it. One of the first things I read was about distance runners. I looked at distance runners and lunatics who fell off the deep end. But I also had a ton of respect for them, so much that would view them as being superhumans or something weird. I looked at 5Ks as being dreadful and not in any way fun. I had done maybe 1 when I was a kid and it was miserable. I never figured 10Ks would be something I could do; I mean, who can run for an hour nonstop? Next was the half marathons which I figured was practically impossible. I had never seen myself being able to do that. Then there was the full marathons. 26.2 miles? That's a joke and only people who have insane healthy genetics would be able to do those.

Well here I am today. I've done 2 full marathons, 3 halves, a tough mudder and numerous 5Ks. My blood pressure is 120/60 and my resting heart rate is in the 50s. After this last marathon I wanted more. I have to try something more. So I signed up for a 50 miler for this November. Having "Ultramarathoner" next to my name is something a crazy person would have suggested only 2 years ago, but now it's starting to have a ring to it.

Now a picture of before (I don't have that many "good" ones because anytime there were bad pictures taken of me I turned into a secret ninja and would delete the photo before anyone realized it):

i2t7r7ohvslt.jpg

Now after (plenty of these, crazy how photogenic we become):

9okhz0wvwocq.jpg

At mile 25 of my latest marathon:

rv1c1uril2yu.jpg

yuype00fvz7q.jpg

Tough mudder pic:

k7a3sofws59n.jpg

Thanks for reading guys! Please add me as a friend, I can always use some encouragement! Especially for this 50!

Replies

• indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To be further inspired, grab the August 2015 Runner's World and read the article "Ultra" by John Brant. Wow! I was so inspired.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Good luck in your Ultra race! :)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    <3 _ <3 i just ahhhhhhh amazing!! indeed you should be proud of your self.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    wow wow wow thank you so much for sharing. you just made my day!!
  • MiliOm
    MiliOm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    wow great work, you look so happy ;)
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Great job! You should be very proud of your accomplishments.
  • wannaloseit77
    wannaloseit77 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing and so happy! Congratulations!!
  • jmcowan42
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fantastic :p
  • christinedlg50
    christinedlg50 Posts: 138 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You are awesome! Like you, I've hated running but secretly wish I had the endurance for such. I'm not running yet but your're an inspiration! Share your healthy/diet tips sometime!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    <3

I did my first marathon a bazillion years ago. It was my first race ever. They didn't have half-marathons back then, which is good, because I probably would have stopped at the half and never attempted a full. Awesome achievement - that 26.2 miles of pavement really beats you down.

Now that I'm older, I prefer half-marathons. Less wear and tear, but still long enough that you feel like you've accomplished something when you're done. I've thought about trying a mud run or a zombie run, but I'd probably just break my neck. ;) Cheers, and keep up the good work!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    What an excellent life story lad! Loving the after pictures, such life and vitality :-)
  • ebaba301
    ebaba301 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! How did you start running?
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Incredible. What a fantastic achievement - good luck on your ultra. Given your progress so far you are sure to smash it.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Big Congratulations. You have inspired me to see this through, so thank you :)
  • jmcowan42
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I've thought about trying a mud run or a zombie run, but I'd probably just break my neck.

I'd recommend a Spartan or Tough Mudder race for a mud run. Especially if you like a HM distance.

I did a zombie run once but it was done locally and was their 1st year so it wasn't a great experience but I'd love to try another one.
  • jmcowan42
    Options
    ebaba301 wrote: »
    Inspiring! How did you start running?

I started out doing a couch to 5k plan... I used the zenlabs app on my phone that did a basic run walk run program. I got injured and had to stop, but finally completed it. Then I moved on to the 10k trainer app that they have.

I would definitely recommend that to anyone starting running. And take your rest days and stretch before runs! I didn't and got shin splints after running like 5 days in a row.
  • shaesuperstar
    shaesuperstar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce! I've done 3 marathons but not sure if I would ever go ultra!!
  • jmcowan42
    Options
    Awesome sauce! I've done 3 marathons but not sure if I would ever go ultra!!

I never would have expected signing up for an ultra... In fact, last spring when I was training for my 2nd half marathon I told a friend that I was eyeing a full marathon in the fall and they mentioned how they knew a guy who did an ultra. I told them I'd probably never get to that level to do those.

But it would probably be ideal for me to get a couple more marathons under my belt before going out for a 50 but I couldn't wait to sign up lol
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my cousin does some extreme trail runs and trialalons

I couldn't even imagine. but then again I couldn't ever imagine me beginning to run. so you never know...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!