verified food - oh nooooooo!

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
Why try to fix something that doesn't need fixing? Now the asterixes are gone, and the number of verifications are gone. I have no idea which entries are USDA-ones (well, I can guess), I have no idea if someone verified his own food or if many people agreed. What the... this website has just gone down from usable with some caution to completely useless!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I can still see the number of confirmations?
  • yirara
    Options
    Hmm.. I don't. I only see a green thingy and the note: verified. Great.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Over the past week, my database has been going back and forth between using checks and using asterisks. I don't care how they do it, but I would prefer the system generated USDA entries be easily identifiable and at the top of the search. With the check system, I can't be sure of the system generated USDA entries.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Some of the verified entries are bona fide crap too.

I saw a verified entry last week of "Chinese Buffet, 1 plate" at 1000 calories. Yep, I bet that's 100% accurate.
  • yirara
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

I saw a verified entry last week of "Chinese Buffet, 1 plate" at 1000 calories. Yep, I bet that's 100% accurate.

That's what I mean with the database changed to completely useless. We'll see a lot more people logging stuff just because it's 'verified'. Btw, the USDA entries have been all over the place for me as well. For the last week or so I could not find chicken breast raw without skin anymore and I have to use an old entry of mine.
  • yirara
    Options
    oh great, another total success:

Almarai - Yogurt
    This food is verified. Learn more

when I click on Nutritional Info I get: Confirmed by 0 users.

The amounts given there, together with the calories btw don't make sense with any of their products. *sigh*
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

That's what I mean with the database changed to completely useless. We'll see a lot more people logging stuff just because it's 'verified'. Btw, the USDA entries have been all over the place for me as well. For the last week or so I could not find chicken breast raw without skin anymore and I have to use an old entry of mine.

The chicken one stumped me for a bit because they have renamed it as chicken broilers or fryers raw without skin. If you search with the key words Chicken broilers raw you should get he USDA range of options
  • yirara
    Options
    But a broiler is a whole/half chicken, isn't it? I'm just looking for breast.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I don't. I only see a green thingy and the note: verified. Great.

I see the check mark as verified, but guess what? I have found those are not always accurate either. I know this because I basically know the calorie counts of the foods I regularly eat.

Verified just means so many people say it's correct, which is not always so.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options

It may be, not sure because I am from the UK and don't use that term. However the breast or thigh only entries all start "chicken broilers or fryers" just select the one you want from the list that comes up

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Looks like you pointed that out too.

I find it better to just do my own research on foods that are not in my own food database, which I have researched and verified myself.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Looks like you pointed that out too.

I find it better to just do my own research on foods that are not in my own food database, which I have researched and verified myself.

Agree ^^ if its not a raw food direct from the USDA database I recommend always checking what the site says against the packaging as well.

Also a lot of people take the barcode scanner results as gospel, but again you are often taken to completely inaccurate member entries

Its a minefield out there :-)

• joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The database has become a total joke - I don't even know what's what anymore. Another example is that I saw some food item the other day (admittedly, can't remember what), but it was marked green as "Verified", but looking at the nutritional info, it was 50 calories, with 25g of protein. That math doesn't even work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »

The chicken one stumped me for a bit because they have renamed it as chicken broilers or fryers raw without skin. If you search with the key words Chicken broilers raw you should get he USDA range of options

THANKS! I'd been using an old entry of mine as well.

The new one for breast only is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted"
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

seems legit LOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That is part of the reason I log in Fitbit now. MFP used to be a pain in the butt but useful, now it's just crazy!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had a "verified" Arby's turkey wrap today, 420 calories for "one wrap." Seems legit. LOL I have to use what they have to log it in my diary because I didn't bring my scale to lunch today but I don't assume that it's accurate for the exact wrap I had.
  • anxioushero
    anxioushero Posts: 61 Member
    Options

THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »

It may be, not sure because I am from the UK and don't use that term. However the breast or thigh only entries all start "chicken broilers or fryers" just select the one you want from the list that comes up

I don't think we use that term in the US, either...do we? Anyone? It's the first time heard it, and I wouldn't think it would apply to a certain cut of meat. A breast lobe isn't a broiler or a fryer. It's just a breast.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My feed keeps toggling back and forth between the two. I just go through the entries, "verified" or not, and find one with the nutritional info I want. Then I just use that.