Are there any type 1 diabetics out there?

Options
chelery130
chelery130 Posts: 7 Member
It's slower to lose weight when you must take insulin. I have a pump and have started decreasing the amount of insulin I use, while still maintaining blood glucose in range. Mostly. I'm curious to hear how other Type 1's are doing.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sympathetic type 2 here. There's at least one other type 1/2 here and hopefully he'll be along.

[Edited to add] I found him! His name is @midwesterner85
  • jnaylor342014
    jnaylor342014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a type 1 on a pump and I really struggle - I need to lost about 14lb and when my bloods are more controlled I tend to hypo and then consume too many calories then gain weight. I'm finding it hard to stick to my calorie allowance as whenever I have low blood sugar I feel like eating half the fridge! My nurse said insulin can make you hungry too. So frustrating! Esp when I exercise, burn calories and then hypo so have to eat.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Yes, controlling blood sugars without the help of our pancreas is a delicate act.

teetertotter.jpg

It seems to me what would work best is small, incremental changes to the diet. Not too much in any direction. Of course, if you are hypoglycemic, take something right away.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Thumbs-up, @geordielass40
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I find judicious consumption of fats very helpful, like nuts.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello- I am a type 1 pumper! I'm down around 35 lbs since September. I was down 40 but got frustrated, started eating and gained some back. Its a really slow process.

@geordielass40 I am extremely impressed 8 stone is a huge success! I would love to know more specifics of your diet and exercise regime. I have been contemplating LCHF but haven't heard of any Type 1's results with it. Your results are incredible!
  • chelery130
    chelery130 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started a high protein low carb approach about 3 weeks ago. I weighed 170 lb and am now @164 lb. I aim for 1200 - 1400 calories, less than 100 gm carbs and at least 120 gm lean protein. I spread this out over 6 meals / snacks per day. It's kinda hard to keep the fat grams down. I decreased my basal by 25% initially and I use a continuous sensor, so I titrate up and down based on the trend and my exercise, or lack thereof.
    I'm doing moderate exercise about 4 days a week, 20minutes per time.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic but would like to mention that my 7th dan Aikido teacher *is* type I diabetic.

Not every person, diabetic or not, can be a world-class athlete, but I just wanted to toss out the notion that some people do become super-fit even if they are diabetic. It is probably harder than for non-diabetics, but you work with what you have and you can still reach your potential.

Like anything, one day at a time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm just noticing this thread... I'm a double diabetic (I have both type 1 and type 2). There is a group for type 1's here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/232-type-1-juvenile-diabetics

I've really struggled with weight loss, in part due to insulin sensitivity changes. That isn't the only reason I've struggled, and even non-diabetic things seem to be different for me than everyone else on here. I've only been able to lose about 28 lbs. since Jan. 1, 2014. My daily insulin has gone from close to 200u daily in a pump (keep in mind I'm also a type 2, so I'm resistant to insulin in addition to not making any) to about 80u on average.
  • Soyviz
    Soyviz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Type 1 diabetic here on the OmniPod pump. I have the same issue too with overeating to compensate lows, but just recently started to avoid this pitfall. I want to lose 10 lb. Stepped up my protein consumption and added more cardio to my strength training. I exercise every day. Insulin does make it harder to lose weight! Feel like I am fighting an uphill battle every day. Food is basically just fuel to me; I eat same diet nearly every day.
  • deepakanabar06
    deepakanabar06 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a type 1 diabetic also on the insulin pump
    Lost 26 kilos originally but put 15 kilos back on
    Trying to loose it again and could do with some motivation
    Feel free to add me!