Logging Everything

Options
What do you log?
I only log what I consider actual exercise. I've seen people log things like cleaning, gardening, even playing an instrument.
It seems like maybe people are logging as much as possible in hope to have more available calories for the day?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    I only log my exercise.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing a marathon cleaning session (whole house top to bottom in 3 hours), I'll log it. If I'm doing my spring cleanup outside and it takes 4+ hours, I'll log about half of the time. My "activity level" is sedentary on MFP, so these things really do count.
  • jsam1121
    jsam1121 Posts: 5
    Options
    I only log real exercise. Like time at the gym, walking the dog, riding my bike. And even at the gym I don't include weights, or if I walk the dog I only count it if it's longer than half an hour.
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    I think logging a proper scrub down is being a little obsessive :-)
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I log everything I think is reasonable.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Some people are logging too much. Daily life activities are accounted for when you choose your activity level in your settings. You should only log purposeful EXERCISE. Otherwise, MFP is going to give you too high a calorie allowance and you're gonna overeat. I would rather underestimate my exercise than overestimate it. It's not a contest to see who burns the most calories...:huh:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I log only my cardio & strength training. Housework & chores are just bonus burn but, I don't log it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've only two things that weren't actual exercise a few times. One being cleaning, but only if it is way above and beyond my normal every day stuff, like cleaning out the basement or garage or something like that...like today I am logging about an hour of cleaning because I am working on a very late spring cleaning, but I have actually been at it since 10 am with just one break for lunch. I'd never log all the time. And once when I stood for like 6 hours straight preparing for and having my son's birthday party I logged an hour of standing because I was exhausted afterwards :) I felt like a dork doing it, but honestly, it's only a couple times of year when I spend a whole Saturday standing!!!
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I only log exercise done at the gym. Infact I actually only log my cardio, not even weights.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Playing the drums probably burns a lot of calories. Scrubbing floors and cleaning out a garage is work. Have you ever weeded a vegetable garden? If people have their activity level set to sedentary, or even lightly active all of those would definitely count.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    I mostly log only exercise...I count mowing the lawn because I have a really large yard and I wear my HRM and burn over 700 calories and it's not a daily thing. Today I am doing my spring cleaning and am cleaning my whole house, vacuuming (including walls, curtains, pillows, etc), sweeping, mopping, dusting, cleaning bathrooms, moving stuff around, etc...so I am thinking of counting a little of that, but I will be majorly underestimating on time. :) I think if people have their profile set on sedentary, they should count everything that has them up and moving...to each their own.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    If I'm doing a marathon cleaning session (whole house top to bottom in 3 hours), I'll log it. If I'm doing my spring cleanup outside and it takes 4+ hours, I'll log about half of the time. My "activity level" is sedentary on MFP, so these things really do count.

I'm a SAHM so my activity level is sedentary. I log house cleaning/yard work that makes me break a sweat or my heart pump, especially if I'm doing a lot of bending or lifting.
  • Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    Some people are logging too much. Daily life activities are accounted for when you choose your activity level in your settings. You should only log purposeful EXERCISE. Otherwise, MFP is going to give you too high a calorie allowance and you're gonna overeat. I would rather underestimate my exercise than overestimate it. It's not a contest to see who burns the most calories...:huh:

Thats the thing that stuns me is the amount of calories some people burn in a day. I wonder if I should be logging more, or maybe it's better to under estimate it.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I log showering, standing, tying my shoes, eating and breathing.
  • Jodasi
    Jodasi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just joined a couple of days ago and so far I've only logged cardio. I'm going to try to NOT to use the extra calories I get anyway. I'm sure I'll use them somedays though. Wink-wink.
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I only log in walks or workouts. Going to the playground or zoo with my kids, housework, gardening, etc are part of my normal lifestyle so I don't count them. I suppose if I did a big cleaning/ project that had me moving for hours I might count that. I have my settings set "sedentary". At work, I mostly am sedentary but at home I rarely sit down!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options

Not brushing your teeth? You are really missing out there.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

Not brushing your teeth? You are really missing out there.

I also log judging.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually only log my cardio - which inlcudes JIllian 30 day shred... BUT on those days that I do an extraordinary amount of extra - like 3 hours of gardening, raking, etc... I will add that!!!! but it's extraordinary and not my usual.... House cleaning... I do not log... that's just an added bonus!!! All the way around!!!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Playing the drums probably burns a lot of calories. Scrubbing floors and cleaning out a garage is work. Have you ever weeded a vegetable garden? If people have their activity level set to sedentary, or even lightly active all of those would definitely count.

Agreed! It all depends on what people have their activity level set to in their profile. If someone is a stay-at-home mom for example, chasing and cleaning up after kids 8 hours a day, I would consider that at least "Lightly active" in which case logging cleaning and such would be "double logging".

But someone who has a Mon-Fri office job, would be considered Sedentary, so if they go home and clean the car, that's out of the norm of their usual day, as would be doing top to bottom house cleaning on weekends and such.