How to make working out in the morning a habit?

Options
Tips please. I lovvvvvve sleeping in but working out In the morning gives me a lot of energy. Working out at night interupts my sleep

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have any other tip than to just do it. The more a behavior is repeated, the more likely it is that it will become instinctive. Reward yourself with something nice after, maybe? If you need it? Good luck!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Literally all you can do is get up and do it! Mind over matter. Every day I wish I could go back to sleep, but I have formed a habit now so I just do it. The more you get up and go, the easier it will get! :)
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Set your gym stuff out the night before and even sleep in your gym clothes if you have to, if it will help you get out the door in the morning. Start by setting your alarm a half hour earlier and once you get in the habit of that you can set your alarm earlier and earlier until you get the amount of workout time that you want. You will also need to start going to bed earlier to get enough sleep.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Set your alarm and put it right over the other side of the room, so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Once you're up, it's easier to stay up.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Get up.
    2. Go work out.
    3. Repeat daily (except rest days)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Set your alarm for 15 minutes more time than you think you need.

Drink some coffee or thermogenic.

Force it for 2 weeks and it will be a habit.

That is how I did it. I needed to so I would not get busy and miss my evening workout.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Do you workout at home or at a gym?

If you go to a gym, I pack my gym bag the night before, set out my workout clothes in the bathroom, and program my coffee maker. I roll out of bed, brush my teeth, put on my workout clothes, pour a cup of coffee into a travel mug and head to the gym.

I will admit getting motivated to work out at home is a bit harder, but I set out my workout clothes and drink a cup of coffee first.

It is different now that I have kids - I have to get them ready too. But preparation the night before makes a huge difference.
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Get all you gear out the night before and just force yourself to do it. It really will become a habit. I wake up every weekday morning at 5:30. It was so hard on the beginning but it feels really good to get my workout out of the way.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I am trying to set a routine...

Get up and hit the bathroom...
    Start the coffee...
    Weigh in...
    Drink 1st cup of coffee...
    Get dressed...
    Drink 2nd cup of coffee...
    Hit the great outdoors for a walk...

I try to get out by 7:00 so that I can get back before it starts to get too hot...

I am still trying to come up with a routine for starting my resistance training...I do it eventually but would like to have a set time instead of just whenever.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It really boils down to just doing it and it will become a habit with time.
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I am trying to set a routine...

Get up and hit the bathroom...
    Start the coffee...
    Weigh in...
    Drink 1st cup of coffee...
    Get dressed...
    Drink 2nd cup of coffee...
    Hit the great outdoors for a walk...

I try to get out by 7:00 so that I can get back before it starts to get too hot...

I am still trying to come up with a routine for starting my resistance training...I do it eventually but would like to have a set time instead of just whenever.

Wowza two cups of joe
  • htg20
    htg20 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Having a program like Jillian Michaels Body Revolution helps me because it is a schedule set by her that I choose to stick to.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    4712270_need-some-motivation-shia-labeouf-screaming_46e5bb05_m.gif?bg=5C9B69
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree with the just do it comments. You can use tricks to make getting out of bed easier, like going to sleep earlier or drinking a lot of water before you go to bed so you won't have any choice but to get up
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I can't work out in the mornings and working out too late screws with my sleep too. Try between 5 & 7 pm.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Habits are created by doing the thing over and over. If you keep doing it, it will become a habit! :)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I exercise after breakfast. By that time I am not drowzy anymore and can kick *kitten* working out. Drink coffee if you do, get some food in you, read the forums or whatever you do to wake your mind up, and then go exercise!
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work the evening shift 3 to 11 five days a week and was getting into the habit of either sleeping in or getting up early and then being a sleeping on and off couch potato til 1pm. And I knew better...I knew that I had PLENTY of time to get some exercise in on my work days. I joined a gym last week and have been setting my alarm each morning to go work out for at least an hour. I feel better mentally now because I'm not stuck in a work-sleep-work-sleep mode 5 days a week. I had to get myself OUT of the "oh, I only have off 2 days a week so I only can exercise those days" mentality.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Make time for it, as in arrange the rest of your hours so it's possible. You can't get up early consistently unless you are getting to bed early consistently.

I'm willing to bet you have other activities you have long established, is it still a struggle to get to work on a daily basis?

If you don't take meals/breaks at regular intervals, begin/end your work day on a set schedule etc I can see setting a workout regime being a challenge. Otherwise it is simply a matter of plugging another activity into a pre existing time frame.

I say this as someone who has failed to keep to a workout schedule, but other than usually showing up for work on time I have also struggled to manage my time well most my life aswell.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I finished my allotted time on the treadmill this morning

9827 steps

Got some calories burnt off and woke up. Ready to roll into the day.