Im Obese because my family is Obese! True/False

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No. What they get from they momma is food...and too much of it. Genetics may determine where you store your fat, but only overeating will cause you to be overweight.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    There's also epigenetics

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/07/epigenetics-heredity-diabetes-obesity-increased-cancer-risk

"There are many definitions of epigenetics, but simply put, says Professor Marcus Pembrey, a geneticist at University College London and the University of Bristol, it is a change in our genetic activity without changing our genetic code. It is a process that happens throughout our lives and is normal to development. Chemical tags get attached to our genetic code, like bookmarks in the pages of a book, signalling to our bodies which genes to ignore and which to use.

For decades, we have thought of our offspring as blank slates. Now, epigeneticists are asking whether in fact our environment, from smoking and diet to pollution and war, can leave "epigenetic marks" on our DNA that could get passed on to subsequent generations. They call the phenomenon epigenetic inheritance."

Stated generously, the article, and epigenetics, is highly speculative and controversial. Less generously, it is dangerous hooey. I'm not feeling generous.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Okay!!! Looking for opinions here. I come from a pretty "large" set of family. Are ppl really fat because of genetics? How much of a role DNA play in obesity? I'm a larger woman & look/built exactly like my aunt, large arms, thighs & big buttocks, small breast for my weight and not much of stomach for a 380lbs woman.
    Don't want my children in these footsteps of foolery! (Genetics/over eating etc)
    Question is: Do people really "get it from they momma"?
    A few decades ago there weren't really very many obese people. The genetics of people in developed nations didn't just suddenly change in the last few decades. It's the fact that we now have easy access to as much highly caloric food as we want and little reason to do things that burn extra calories.

Since that availability isn't going to change (or at least I hope it doesn't) we need to adapt our lifestyles to our new environment if we want to avoid the negative effects.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think people 'get it from their family' through habits only. As a child, I was a picky eater and was fed fast food pretty often. As I got older, and fatter, I didn't really know much at all about what was going on with my body. I had no idea why I was fat, I thought I was just stuck with it, like it was my destiny. I was never really educated on the need for physical fitness or a healthy diet. So I do believe the bad habits, lack of information, ect, can leak into children. I think its very important to teach your child healthy diets and fitness, and also to teach them why it is important. a majority of fat people are not fat because of "genetics" or "conditions." There are a few medical conditions known to cause weight gain, but most of them I believe can still lose weight simply by medicine, if needed, and changing their diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I think DNA and genetics has less to do with it than people learning their habits from their family. If your family is overweight because they eat a lot, chances are you will be raised eating a lot and will also end up overweight.

It comes down to being able to look at yourself and your family and ask, truthfully - Did I get to this weight because of my genetics, or because I ate way more than I needed to maintain a healthy weight?
    Absolutely this. If people in a family all look the same weight wise, it's because habitually they all eat the same way.
    Genetics will cover your bone structure, your height, your hair color, etc. It doesn't control how much you put in your mouth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I think DNA and genetics has less to do with it than people learning their habits from their family. If your family is overweight because they eat a lot, chances are you will be raised eating a lot and will also end up overweight.

It comes down to being able to look at yourself and your family and ask, truthfully - Did I get to this weight because of my genetics, or because I ate way more than I needed to maintain a healthy weight?
    Absolutely this. If people in a family all look the same weight wise, it's because habitually they all eat the same way.
    Genetics will cover your bone structure, your height, your hair color, etc. It doesn't control how much you put in your mouth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

+1 On this.
    Sums up my thoughts on the matter pretty well.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    There's also epigenetics

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/sep/07/epigenetics-heredity-diabetes-obesity-increased-cancer-risk

"There are many definitions of epigenetics, but simply put, says Professor Marcus Pembrey, a geneticist at University College London and the University of Bristol, it is a change in our genetic activity without changing our genetic code. It is a process that happens throughout our lives and is normal to development. Chemical tags get attached to our genetic code, like bookmarks in the pages of a book, signalling to our bodies which genes to ignore and which to use.

For decades, we have thought of our offspring as blank slates. Now, epigeneticists are asking whether in fact our environment, from smoking and diet to pollution and war, can leave "epigenetic marks" on our DNA that could get passed on to subsequent generations. They call the phenomenon epigenetic inheritance."

Stated generously, the article, and epigenetics, is highly speculative and controversial. Less generously, it is dangerous hooey. I'm not feeling generous.

There is nothing speculative or controversial about epigenetics.
  • lmcaroll
    lmcaroll Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Watch the video I posted and see if your comments are the same.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    fbinsc wrote: »
    There's also epigenetics

In order for genetics or epigenetics to even be applicable or relevant here, there would need to be people somewhere whose observed TDEE was way lower than expected without any other explanation. Lots of them.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    There's also epigenetics

Epigenetic inheritance can be undone by environment.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay!!! Looking for opinions here. I come from a pretty "large" set of family. Are ppl really fat because of genetics? How much of a role DNA play in obesity? I'm a larger woman & look/built exactly like my aunt, large arms, thighs & big buttocks, small breast for my weight and not much of stomach for a 380lbs woman.
    Don't want my children in these footsteps of foolery! (Genetics/over eating etc)
    Question is: Do people really "get it from they momma"?
    A few decades ago there weren't really very many obese people. The genetics of people in developed nations didn't just suddenly change in the last few decades. It's the fact that we now have easy access to as much highly caloric food as we want and little reason to do things that burn extra calories.

Since that availability isn't going to change (or at least I hope it doesn't) we need to adapt our lifestyles to our new environment if we want to avoid the negative effects.

Half of my grandparents--my mother's side--were overweight or obese by middle age. My grandfather's sister was THE FAT WOMAN in her nursing class. It was really quite dramatic. Every other person was in a healthy weight range. She was obese.

And a huge number of my great-aunts and great-great aunts and second cousins on that side were by middle age, too.

My mother and her brother and all our families are healthy weight.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    fbinsc wrote: »
    There's also epigenetics

In order for genetics or epigenetics to even be applicable or relevant here, there would need to be people somewhere whose observed TDEE was way lower than expected without any other explanation. Lots of them.

There is up to 30% of measured BMR not accounted for my fat mass, fat-free mass, age, and gender.

But then that pretty much disappears when you include afterburn.....

We know what happens when the metabolism actually slows. Among other things. core temperature drops. It happens in extreme anorexics. It never happens in the obese.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lmcaroll wrote: »

At the beginning, a body used to processing not very much food will simply rebel and food goes straight through not very well digested.

I've been hanging around 1200 cal a day. If I suddenly ate 900 cal at a sitting, I would get sick. I wouldn't gain much weight from it because it wouldn't be absorbed. It would take at least a week to put on much weight.

In addition...thin people can lie about their food diaries, too! Anorexics do. The people trying to force themselves to eat might log the whole thing and only eat half. It's not a lab situation, so that becomes a factor. It's been found that very lean people (not even anorexic)--not exercise fans who eat a lot but people who just don't eat much--overestimate how much the eat as much as obese people underestimate--by percent.+

They also all DIDN'T eat the same amount. They ate "twice as much as normal"...if the did it (which they didn't always manage to) while uniformly slashing their activity level. The guy who used to eat 3.2k and work out a lot will add a ton more than the girl who used to eat 1.5k and was already sedentary.

I'm also an enormous grazer. I can plot through a box of chocolates or a bag of anything salty like crazy, left to my own devices. I eat happily when I'm not hungry. I've never, ever been obese. Because I still usually cut back when my pants get tight. :)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I see it happen often on this site (and I see it has happened a few times in this thread) - this idea that some people are just lucky or something. I have had the experience of being on the other side of the table, so to speak.

My sister was always saying, and still does, that as children, she used to eat the same as me and she gained weight and I stayed skinny. She felt very sorry for herself as a result. I was the skinny one, but I was also well aware that we very definitely did not eat the same amount - not ever. Although my mother prepared our meals the same way, what my sister forgot about is her snacking, her nibbling (grabbing a roast potato from the serving tray before the dishing up was done, and a slice of cheese from the fridge) and her tasting as well as the extra soft drinks and milk she drank during the day. She also forgot about how I would jump in the pool for a swim every day and she preferred the couch and the TV.

It used to irritate the hell out of me that she would always claim that I had some special biological advantage. The one time I even suggested to her - ok - if you really think we eat the same, eat exactly what I eat, when I eat it, for our whole two week holiday. She only lasted a day before she was adding extra.

Time has proven my case as this so called naturally skinny person has had to take pretty dramatic action throughout her adult life to not get fat, a struggle with which I have varying levels of success. My sister however is obese and still does not take responsibility or ownership for it.

It is not fun to say - "It was me. I am fat because I ate all the foods" - but I really do think it is what we need to do to get on the path to long term weight control and admit that there is no favoritism and no fat bogeyman that has it in for you.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I get that it somehow helps people feel better about eating too much and not exercising enough. They can just say their fat not because of that but because it runs in the family. My whole family is skinny, I'm the only one that has ever struggled with it. When I was younger my sister made fun of me because her and her idiot friend had just spit out a couple of pups and were like 10lbs over their pre-pup weight and they asked me why I was so fat because they were just fat because they couldn't keep their legs closed, I didn't have a reason. I'm also the only non-smoker, so are they all smokers because of their genes? Or is it just how they were raised? Are my genes so hipster they can comply with the rest of my relatives genes?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think this is a very interesting topic. I believe it is more habit than genetics.
    My direct family (including me) has always been skinny/normal. Some of my grandmothers siblings and their children are overweight.
    But the reason I think obese families are obese because of habits stems from me joining those families for dinner. Some really healthy balanced meals have been served at those dinners, but the other people were eating portion 2-3x as large as my portion. Furthermore, they finished dinner before I did....
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing that our genes have an effect on everything but our weight. How much is genetic and how much is bad habits, I don't know, I don't think anyone knows, honestly.

Genetics can not alter the laws of physics, if you have gained a pound it's because you have consumed 3500 calories above maintenance. Period.

People who use the gene card to justify weight or lack of physicality are on the wrong side of history. Just like the people who believed only an elite few were capable of reading centuries ago.

The difference in genetic potential between the most elite athletes and the most sedentary couch potato is immeasurably small, it's simply not a valid excuse.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I have a hard time believing that our genes have an effect on everything but our weight. How much is genetic and how much is bad habits, I don't know, I don't think anyone knows, honestly.

I don't know. Maybe we should ask the doctor.