weighty issues with hypothyroidism

Options
Its difficult to lose weight and its even more difficult with hypothyroidism.

Replies

• nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Yes it is but not impossible. I have had hypothyroidism for 3+ years and I am losing very slowly but I am losing. You can do it!!
  • fleureiffel
    fleureiffel Posts: 17
    Options
    hypo here too, diagnosed last aug. what can i expect
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Agree, but its not impossible! Just have to be more patient and make sure to check your levels while you are losing! That can really make an impact on your goals!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i have hypothyroidism too and it sucks!

make sure you get your thyroid panel done regularly and get medication - getting on the right medication to treat my thyroid disorder, saved my life!
  • Tuwood
    Tuwood Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a tumor on my thyroid which puts me into hypothyroidism. It is tough but you will lose weight. It might not be quick but you will lose it. I have to work extra hard to lose this weight and it gets me down because it comes off very slowly but I will not give up. Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • sarah307
    Options

make sure you get your thyroid panel done regularly and get medication - getting on the right medication to treat my thyroid disorder, saved my life!
  • sarah307
    Options

• dexters_dexterity
    dexters_dexterity Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Im on medication since 2004. The first time i was diagonosed with Hypothyroidism, TSH was 25 it came to normal range in 6 months. Later I faced problem when I moved to another country after getting married and change of medication disturbed it very badly results were very confusing but i was losing weight without trying, my minimum was 62 kgs from 67 kgs though i used to yo-yo 68-70kgs before marriage and for my wedding i could only lose (67 kgs) 2kgs with 2 months of healthy dieting and 1 hour aerobics session 6 days a week. i lost 1 kg on my wedding day just outta stress :) so i was 66kgs sitting on stage.

Anyways now after 4 years of marriage im having trouble with conceiving, had my uterine laprascopy 2 months ago, apparently no reason found. So some way or the other it is coming to thyroid. during this period of desparately trying to conceive im 75 kgs now and no matter what i try i cant go below 71kgs

one more observation: my aunt, father, mother were diagonosed in their late 40's and 3 of their children in thier early 20's, similar situation found with my friend and her aunt. so not only it is inherited it troubles early, what r the reasons, genetically modified foods, troublesome feeds to poultry and cows to increase the meat and milk production, microwaves, wireless waves or what???
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    i have an underactive thyroid aswell and its so hard to lose weight, so i would appreciate tips from anyone! thank you :)
    feel free to add me because im new :) xxx
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a little slower, but as others have said, not impossible. I have been very hypo for close to 20 years. What I finally understand is that you must treat it like any serious condition, for example diabetes. If you had diabetes, you would watch what you eat, monitor your sugar, count your calories, take you medicine and exercize. You have to take the hypo just as seriously and do the same things. The shame is that the doctors don't tell you that! They just say that it does not cause much weight gain and you are eating too much. Well they are right in that you are eating too much for your body. But they are wrong in not emphasizing how important it is to do things that boost your metabolism such as exercize. Good luck on your journey.
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    Never miss ur medicine. it should be your first intake of the day. dont eat anything next 30 minutes. do not take any other medicine or even nutritional supplement with it esp calcium, coz it hinders absorption.
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    Thnx dear. after how long do u repeat ur thyroid test?
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    apparently you are supposed to have blood tests every three months to check on your thyroid levels. but i get mine every 4/6 weeks. currently getting one next week to check my thyroid and also my blood count levels.

i am on 125 mg of thyroxine

anyone else?
    x
  • dexters_dexterity
    Options
    Went to my endocrinologist today he suggested that its even better that i take med 1 hour earlier, half an hour is good enough to absorb med but longer is better!!