Exercising with Sciatica

Options
I am finally getting serious about losing 20 pounds for the gastric bypass surgery. My biggest hurdle other than learning how to cook and actually eat 3 meals a day is I suffer with chronic pain due to Sciatica. Is there any exercises I can do that won't put me to bed for half of the day crying?

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If it's due to iliosacral joint problems, look into exercises specifically targeting that. Pilates for I.S. instability--google that for some good ideas.

If it's from a nerve squeezed in your back (less common), check out all kinds of things meant for core strength. Pilates is also often really good for that, too, but you want to look for "hard" pilates, not glorified stretching. You DO NOT want to over-stretch. In fact, directed stretching in general is a bad idea for anyone with joint problems of any type. Dynamic moves to restore/maintain/work HEALTHY range of motion is what you want. Joints flexible beyond normal ROM are actually far more susceptible to injury, counter to about 50 years of bad advice!
  • KatTastrophy17
    KatTastrophy17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Mine is from a botched epidural during childbirth. A nerve injury. I have heard a lot about core strength but it looked so hard or intense, all the sit ups or ball exercises, it rather scared me off. Does the 'hard' version of pilates go by another name or do I have to call around to see what it is they offer?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    CAkathryn wrote: »
    Thank you. Mine is from a botched epidural during childbirth. A nerve injury. I have heard a lot about core strength but it looked so hard or intense, all the sit ups or ball exercises, it rather scared me off. Does the 'hard' version of pilates go by another name or do I have to call around to see what it is they offer?

Oh, dear! I had 2 natural, one epidural, and frankly, that joint has never be quite right again. If I have another, I'll go natural, but I wanted to push so desperately (when it was WAY too early) that I was afraid of tearing my cervix. As it was, it was a "skipped epidural," so it only worked for part of my body. But it killed the desperate message to push.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKIqLUlPGBw

If that's too hard, here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GEjVdP2YGk

You can look for more by these ladies--they're good!

(These are authorized vids, not pirated ones.)

A lot of the stuff with balls or with lots of situps is actually bad for you because there isn't a balance working all the muscles. It just overworks the rectis muscles. I had problems from that. Those are great, though. And if you're a pitiful, limp noodle after, know that you're in good company. :D
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I had sciatica for 17 years and none of the exercises the physio recommended helped...only aggravated. Finally, when I was considering asking my doctor if back surgery was an option (after a chiropractor hurt my neck during an adjustment), I picked up a good quality Glucosamine from the health food store. In two weeks I was feeling great relief and continued to take it for 6 months. It's been 7+ years now and it hasn't returned. Ask your doctor for advice if you are wary. Good luck. But do be patient if you try it, it can take up to 6 months.
  • always1011
    always1011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    CAkathryn wrote: »

You can do yoga stretches specifically for sciatica before a workout if its painful. I call them my "birthing stretches" because its almost the same positions I was put in during labor to open the hips, they work really well most times for my sciatica (pinched nerve in both hips). Sometimes though that nerve just stays pinched no matter what I do :(
  • always1011
    always1011 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly you're trying to lose weight before your gastric bypass? In that case be very careful with exercise and what type you do, as someone with quite a bit to lose I had to start working out very slowly and build up. Just start with easy 10-15 minute yoga stretching (focusing on hips) and maybe a walk around the block. Don't push yourself if you feel pain outside normal muscle pain, listen to your body.
  • katiedoo82
    katiedoo82 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hi there...sorry you are going through this. Sciatica is horrible. I'm out of work now almost 2 years with chronic lower back pain and sciatica. Have had nerve blocks, epidurals, and they have burned the nerve going down my leg but still in desperate pain. Have also now broken a bone in foot so awaiting surgery to fix that...but to be honest the only form of exercise I have found relief from is hydrotherapy. The warm pool relaxes the muscles somewhat and the water takes the weight off. See if you can do hydro with a physio where they are in the pool with u?? Just a suggestion.... I've found it helpful anyhow.

Best of luck with everything x
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I had sciatica for a long time. What worked the most was losing the excess weight...but you have to do some things to help until you get to that stage! One exercise that really helped was to sit on the floor with knees bent, feet on the ground and then put one foot above the other leg knee. Like this...
    stretches-for-back-pain-crossover-hip-stretch.jpg
    Place a tennis ball into the hip joint where (on the side where the foot is up) the pain radiates from (so you're more or less sitting on the ball) and then roll on the tennis ball so you get a really deep massage into the hip. You'll know when it's hitting the spot! That for me loosened it all up before and after exercise. I also found that making sure I was wearing properly supporting, shock absorbing running/walking shoes helped. I had gait analysis done and got custom insoles made.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can google yoga for sciatica and you should come up with a plethora of results. also consider looking into a restorative yoga program.
    check out a local studio. many have monthly plans so you can try different classes and teachers. I would start with classes in either hatha or labeled beginner or level one. and let the instructor know so she/he can help you find any needed modifications
    also, try legs up the wall
    Yoga_LegsUpTheWall_01_300x350.jpg