What motivates you to work out?

Options
lauriestrawkey
lauriestrawkey Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2015 in Chit-Chat
Hi, I'm 51, using mfp to help track diet and exercise. I find it helps motivate me. I'm 5 days in, and need encouragement to work out. My dog helps, and I walk her 3 times a day. Any suggestions? Joined a gym, but don't go enough. I like it once I go, but it's difficult to make myself go. I know it is a bit whiney, but I am so not used to this lifestyle ☺

Replies

• Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    once you start seeing results that will be your motivation
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,768 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy working out actually, it's a nice outlet for me.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    This. I would also recommend doing what you love and can manage given your abilities. I can tell you love taking care of your dog, and that helps. Why not ask your doctor about another good workout(s) for the rest of the week based on interests? I, for instance, used to use one of those hand-bike gadgets once daily, do chores whenever possible and ride a horse once a week before recently falling very ill. Of course, I had to balance that with schoolwork but it was worth it. I say work according to abilities because I do the above as a disabled young lady, who needs a wheelchair. HTH!
  • mistym3193
    mistym3193 Posts: 7,641 Member
    Options
    Love to workout!! Makes me feel so much better. It helps if you have someone to workout with and diet with. You make each other accountable.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    The way I feel afterwards.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options

I agree with this guy
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    It's relatively easy now because it's a habit, but when I first started I didn't want to do it...at all. I was lazy and unmotivated. And I was out of shape.

But I was addicted to TV, so I told myself I could only watch my shows while on the elliptical. And that started an obsession of 45-60 minute cardio sessions.

Things have changed since then and I've changed it up, having added weights, including KBs, treadmill, etc. and decreased cardio.

Now my motivation is more intrinsic. I simply feel better after I get some exercise. But once in awhile I'll either start or join a challenge in order to avoid feeling like it's too routine.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's partly genuine enjoyment and a feeling of accomplishment, and partly habit. I go straight after work, no negotiating with myself/looking for excuses, I just go and do it. Sometimes I practically drag myself but I never regret going.
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Few different reasons. I've always been interested in strength training and the effect it has on the body. I really enjoy training with weights and I think it boosts those endorphins so I feel good. It's a great stress release. Also as I get older,I know that training has positive effect on holding on to muscle mass and bone density. Cardio is still a struggle, but I do feel better after I've done it
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing. Whether it be weight training, walking, running, class activities, whatever. If you can make it fun/enjoyable, you'll be more apt to go. The more you go, the more results you'll see, and so on and so forth :-)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

More exercise = more food

Feeling great and looking better are obvious other benefits too.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options
    cattleprod
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    strength gains! and running faster! and looking good!
  • blu_de_ville
    blu_de_ville Posts: 4,296 Member
    Options
    Ct fletcher vids
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I do it for the ladies. Your welcome sisters. :D
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a dumb reason... but previously I have been working out in really crappy (cheap) shoes. Just never got around to getting good ones. Well I finally got new (expensive) ones from Sport Chek and I am absolutely IN LOVE with them! So they actually sort of make me look forward to working out :)

I also love watching my favourite show on Netflix at the gym. It really helps with my workouts and gives me something else to focus on. It's a change from just listening to my ipod. However, I just found out that doing this uses up an insane amount of data on my phone (and no wifi at the gym) and thus, I am quite disappointed. So only reserving this to rare occasions I suppose :p
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    To make me a better me.... The more I do the better I get, the better I get the better I feel
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    50415-Zombieland-Rule-1-Cardio-gif-Yoxf.gif
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I like being 56 and lifting more and harder than most of the guys half my age at the gym. Egotistical? Probably, but hey you asked!
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wanting to be fit and be able to continue that for as long as I live. That and also I wanna look sexy in a bikini. Lol ;)