verified food - oh nooooooo!

Options

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    But a broiler is a whole/half chicken, isn't it? I'm just looking for breast.

It may be, not sure because I am from the UK and don't use that term. However the breast or thigh only entries all start "chicken broilers or fryers" just select the one you want from the list that comes up

I don't think we use that term in the US, either...do we? Anyone? It's the first time heard it, and I wouldn't think it would apply to a certain cut of meat. A breast lobe isn't a broiler or a fryer. It's just a breast.

The term broilers ("mature, young chicken of either sex produced for meat; the terms "broilers," "fryers," and "young chickens" are used interchangeably") is used by the US Department of Agriculture for chickens under 13 weeks old that are used for commercial production. The terms broilers and fryers are also used in the USDA National Nutrient Database.

References:
    ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-availability-(per-capita)-data-system/glossary.aspx
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broiler
    ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I just love how some of the entries are supposed to be verified as correct, but they don't match what is on the package or listed by the restaurant on their website, but there's no way to correct the entry or flag it as incorrect.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I just love how some of the entries are supposed to be verified as correct, but they don't match what is on the package or listed by the restaurant on their website, but there's no way to correct the entry or flag it as incorrect.
    The current MFP-suggested method is for the user to gather all required correct information, such as screen captures, pictures of Nutrition labels, etc. and then open a Case with Customer Support, who will eventually send that information to their database team who may or may not edit the item correctly. Then the Customer Support team will immediately close your Case because they simply forwarded it to the database team. Grrrrrrr. :disappointed:
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    The current MFP-suggested method is for the user to gather all required correct information, such as screen captures, pictures of Nutrition labels, etc. and then open a Case with Customer Support, who will eventually send that information to their database team who may or may not edit the item correctly. Then the Customer Support team will immediately close your Case because they simply forwarded it to the database team. Grrrrrrr. :disappointed:

I usually just add fractions of a serving until the calories match. Sometimes I log 1.2 pitas or 3.45 baby carrots, etc. I want the food and the calories to match and I don't sweat the macros or micros.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How the hell is "stew-meat" a verified entry?? No wonder newbies wonder why they aren't losing when they use generic entries...

w6niobibyhtz.png
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the entries, where people cannot calculate at all and the serving sizes are completely useless, even if the nutrition labels are correct. Like 100kg packages of bread or 10kg protein bars.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why try to fix something that doesn't need fixing? Now the asterixes are gone, and the number of verifications are gone. I have no idea which entries are USDA-ones (well, I can guess), I have no idea if someone verified his own food or if many people agreed. What the... this website has just gone down from usable with some caution to completely useless!

Totally agree.

Well, it did need fixing, as there should have been a way of limiting a search to the non-asterisk entries or getting them first, but this is NOT an improvement.

Also, the 100 gram serving size seems to keep dropping out of the ones where it used to exist (most recently I noticed this with brussels sprouts). Luckily I have most of the ones I need in frequent foods, but it seems a weird thing to happen constantly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    The database has become a total joke - I don't even know what's what anymore. Another example is that I saw some food item the other day (admittedly, can't remember what), but it was marked green as "Verified", but looking at the nutritional info, it was 50 calories, with 25g of protein. That math doesn't even work.

Considering that 1 gram of protein is 5 calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

That's when I start entering the correct nutritional information into my own food database with my initials in the entry.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Some of the verified entries are bona fide crap too.

I saw a verified entry last week of "Chinese Buffet, 1 plate" at 1000 calories. Yep, I bet that's 100% accurate.

so as long as I fit everything on one plate its only 1,000 calories? :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »

I saw a verified entry last week of "Chinese Buffet, 1 plate" at 1000 calories. Yep, I bet that's 100% accurate.

That's actually not too bad. But the question is, will we have just the one plate??

• doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Does it give you options for the size of the plate?

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Does it give you options for the size of the plate?

If you eat from someone else's plate, does it still count?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would pay for premium if the database was clean....
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    But a broiler is a whole/half chicken, isn't it? I'm just looking for breast.

It may be, not sure because I am from the UK and don't use that term. However the breast or thigh only entries all start "chicken broilers or fryers" just select the one you want from the list that comes up

I don't think we use that term in the US, either...do we? Anyone? It's the first time heard it, and I wouldn't think it would apply to a certain cut of meat. A breast lobe isn't a broiler or a fryer. It's just a breast.

A broiler or fryer is a particular size of chicken--they're the smaller ones, and roasters are larger. I'd imagine broilers are the ones that get cut into parts most often. But if you're weighing the meat raw, I doubt it matters how big the chicken was in the first place.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started recently so i guess the database was already crap, but basically i still always check the nutrition facts when they're available as the database is wrong so often.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Me too! Clean & accurate.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,980 Member
    Options

Me three!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,980 Member
    Options

Ugh, you're right about not being able to edit. This is not an improvement.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1859089

What are Verified Foods?

When MyFitnessPal has a high degree of confidence in the accuracy of a food’s nutrition facts, we mark that food as "Verified."

However, just because a food is not Verified, it does not mean that the information is wrong. We just don’t have enough signals to verify it yet. New Verified Foods are being added continuously, so the verified database should grow over time.

Because the data in verified foods is considered extremely reliable, Verified foods are not editable.

With the debut of Verified Foods, we have retired the asterisk (*) previously used to notate user-generated foods on the website.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Clean foods? :p