walking. . . can't handle the pace!

Options
Hi,
I've been training for a while now- I'm doing the west highland way at the end of the month. It's a 96mile walk over 5days.
So i started small and my longest walk (without rucksack) has been 14miles, and with rucksack similar to what I'll be carrying (prob 14kg ) just over 9miles.
And it still kills me! Granted I'm walking faster than on the actual walk, but even though I've got well fitting lightweight boots (and have also used a different pair of walking shoes too) on feet start to kill me at about 7miles. Where my big toe bends on one foot is now permanently sore, the back of one knee is sore pretty much all the time and after each long walk my legs are killing me for two days! I really thought I would be doing a lot better by now! And a bit worried as the first day of the walk is 20miles and has hills in there too!
Any tips for getting me walk ready?... Only 2 and a half weeks to go and I'm considering sawing my feet off!
Lynsey

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'll be the negative nancy here and suggest maybe passing on this walk. If you are only able to do 9 miles with the pack, then I'm going to say that trying for 96 miles (broken into 5 consecutive days) in 2 1/2 weeks isn't a realistic goal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Perhaps pass. Ultimately it's going to be miserable and if you're finding it uncomfortable and unbearable perhaps this wasn't meant to be. No matter how hard you train, it's going to suck. At some point, you have to accept the suck or give up on it.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's the pack. The number of miles in a day that you can expect to hike with a pack on is much smaller than without. It's not just because of the cardio involved, but it's also rougher on your body. You hold yourself different, your gait changes, etc. It has an impact going uphill and downhill both. While that amount of weight isn't HUGE, it adds up through the miles. Do that over a number of days and you are going to hurt. Some people are okay with that kind of hurting. But, you have to figure that your muscles will get fatigued and that could have an impact on your safety if you are bushwhacking or cliffside. I don't know the trail, so you'd have a better sense.

There are some things you can do, mostly they involve training much sooner. You should be doing some sort of strength training as well as cardio. It helps so much. Your legs, abs, etc. will be better able to handle the extra strain of carrying a pack. For a multiple day hike like that, you should be starting to do conditioning hikes with a weighted pack several months in advance. A lot of people use gallon sized water bottles, etc. Whatever mimics the amount of weight you'll be carrying. This isn't just to get your body ready, but it's also to make sure that your pack is okay and that your boots are fine for that kind of trek. 2.5 weeks is not enough time to have a pain-free, enjoyable trip. It's just not. Not when you are already experiencing so much trouble and pain doing 7 miles. Consecutive long hike days? Without proper training it means that each day is more painful than the day before. There isn't any recovery time.

I would suggest going ultra-light. But, even lightening your load might not be enough. You need more time to work up to this trip.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    I would stretch out the walk over more days and bring less stuff on the walk. Make sure your backpack is comfortable, light and the right size. I don't know why, but people seem to have a tendency to buy backpacks from Deuter, which are ridiculously heavy. Use a light, perfectly fitting daypack and make sure you're only carrying less. Lunch for the day and water. Light night time clothes if you prefer it, a second pair of socks and knickers, small packs of personal hygene items, maybe flipflops or some other light shoes for the evening, money, house keys, mobile phone. You should be able to get around with 5kg plus the backpack.
  • lynseya83
    lynseya83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    oh - i have been training since the trip was decided. About 4months I've been training for!
    At the beginning i got blisters on the soles of my feet so had to wait till they had healed between walks - they seemed to have hardened up now! But even through I've been trooping about in these boots (with proper walking socks etc) when I'm using my pack training, at about 7miles i seem to get rubbing/blisters somewhere or other! -
    I've heard that putting vaseline all over your feet can help on long walks. Anyone tried this?

I was hoping that it would be a little easier on me on the walk - ive been zooming round when im training at a good pace (i imagine it will be a lot more relaxed with scenery+chat!) and I've only really walking on pavements when practising. The actual walk will be a mixture of surfaces rather then hard pavement all the time. So i was hoping it would be less harsh on the actual walk in that respect?

My rucksack will be relatively light - the bag its self is only 1.5kg, my tent is 1.5kg, sleeping bag 1kg, and for instance my wash kit etc is miniatures to reduce weight. I wont be taking stuff 'just in case' - ive done a fair bit of camping (without all the walking to get there!) but I'm pretty confident i know what i 'need' to take and what will be a luxury (my kindle!) I will need full waterproofs etc through as its Scotland! When i did a practise pack before it came to 14kg with some food (we will have places to stop for proper meals each day so not in the middle of nowhere all the time!).

If the worst comes to the worst i can always put my pack round with a pack carrying service - one of the girls is already doing that anyway as she has a broken arm!

Any other tips for hiking distances to make it more smooth/less painful?

Cheers! x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walking on softer/uneven surfaces will be harder than pavement tbh.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lynseya83 wrote: »
    Where my big toe bends on one foot is now permanently sore, the back of one knee is sore pretty much all the time

This suggests that it might be wiser to limit how much you actually do. I would suggest using the pack transport.

The WHW is a pretty significant route, but the pace will be slower. Whilst the surface is more forgiving, the gradient changes are hard work, and the footing isn't as secure, particularly around Loch Lomond.

Vaseline does help with blisters, but you're very short of time now. Compeed plasters might be a good investment.

• lynseya83
    Options
    thanks.
    ill try the vaseline this wednesday (doing a 12mile one). Apart from that ive got my first aid kit and blister plasters!
    I just through after 4months of regular walking increading distances that my feet would have toughened up by now! blooming things!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

If the worst comes to the worst i can always put my pack round with a pack carrying service - one of the girls is already doing that anyway as she has a broken arm!

If someone in your group is already doing this then I would recommend you follow suit. Switching to a light day pack will help no end and will make the trip far more enjoyable. It being Scotland, you'll have enough to carry just in terms of clothing layers and snacks.

In terms of pain you can try Vaseline or anti-chafe gel. After 4 months your boots should be broken in. Have you been using liner socks? A second layer can help decrease rubbing.

Good luck and I hope you get good conditions for it.
  • lynseya83
    Options
    ive not been using liner socks - ive always thought they would make may feet feel a bit sweaty and restricted. Ive got decent bridgedale medium and lightweight hiking socks, and fabric salomon boots. Theyre very comfy and supportive. Just seem to get foot troubles after a fair few miles in!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think there's a number of factors that are contributing to your problem. The first is that this undertaking is HUGE and shouldn't be underestimated. To do almost 20 miles a day for 5 days straight is putting your body under a tremendous amount of stress and the wear and tear is significant. I can't imagine anyone doing this and not having to endure some sort of discomfort, be it blisters, soreness, etc.

Second, I think your footwear may be contributing to the problem. I had a similar issue with my previous pair of hiking boots- as soon as I hiked for more than 5 miles or so, I started to get blisters on the back of my heel and the ball of my foot. Wearing sock liners didn't help, and neither did upgrading my insoles. Moleskin worked as a quick fix, but ultimately, I opted to get new boots. I've logged a couple hundred miles in my current pair and have yet to get a single blister or hot spot.

Third, it sounds like your joints, particularly your knees, are also taking a hit. If your knee is continuously sore from training for this event, you're only going to make it worse by continuing to push it for 5 full days. Listen to your body- it's clearly telling you that it's not capable for this kind of work and pushing it further is only going to make things worse.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    1.) Do some body-weight strength exercises to strengthen all the muscles you'll use.
    2.) Get evaluated for orthotics. It changed my life. NO exaggeration. Your feet shouldn't give out first.
    3.) Build endurance slowly.
    4.) Pass on this. Later, when everything's working for you, try again. :)
  • linzi02
    linzi02 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound weird but what socks are you wearing? The best investment you'll ever make is proper walking socks if you haven't already got some. They are a bit more expensive than your average socks but 100% worth it, they definitely help keep your feet more comfortable when walking long distances.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    linzi02 wrote: »
    I know this might sound weird but what socks are you wearing?

Bridgedale socks are top range trecking and mountaineering kit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    ive not been using liner socks - ive always thought they would make may feet feel a bit sweaty and restricted. Ive got decent bridgedale medium and lightweight hiking socks, and fabric salomon boots. Theyre very comfy and supportive. Just seem to get foot troubles after a fair few miles in!

Salomon are good boots but it might be sizing. Alternatively it may be that you've been wearing them on pavement. Even a nylon shank boot will be uncomfortable on a hard surface as the stiffness of the sole contributes to a difficult gait. The weight might also contribute to the knee issue.

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Don't mess around with your joints. See a podiatrist.
  • intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Has your training included longer walks multiple days in a row?

What happens if you get into day 3 and just can't do it anymore? Is there transportation back to the start?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    oh - i have been training since the trip was decided. About 4months I've been training for!
    At the beginning i got blisters on the soles of my feet so had to wait till they had healed between walks - they seemed to have hardened up now! But even through I've been trooping about in these boots (with proper walking socks etc) when I'm using my pack training, at about 7miles i seem to get rubbing/blisters somewhere or other! -
    I've heard that putting vaseline all over your feet can help on long walks. Anyone tried this?

I was hoping that it would be a little easier on me on the walk - ive been zooming round when im training at a good pace (i imagine it will be a lot more relaxed with scenery+chat!) and I've only really walking on pavements when practising. The actual walk will be a mixture of surfaces rather then hard pavement all the time. So i was hoping it would be less harsh on the actual walk in that respect?

My rucksack will be relatively light - the bag its self is only 1.5kg, my tent is 1.5kg, sleeping bag 1kg, and for instance my wash kit etc is miniatures to reduce weight. I wont be taking stuff 'just in case' - ive done a fair bit of camping (without all the walking to get there!) but I'm pretty confident i know what i 'need' to take and what will be a luxury (my kindle!) I will need full waterproofs etc through as its Scotland! When i did a practise pack before it came to 14kg with some food (we will have places to stop for proper meals each day so not in the middle of nowhere all the time!).

Any other tips for hiking distances to make it more smooth/less painful?

Cheers! x

Okay, so here is the thing, I could train for this in 4 months. BUT, I have a solid base already built specifically for these kinds of activities (and my pack is lighter). I trail run so that I can hike with a pack. I am a strong powerlifter. The difference that being strong makes is HUGE. For instance, last year I went on a very rough backpacking trip with a friend and my cousin. We are talking bushwhacking through thick forest down and up steep grades. Hell, there were times where I was sliding down a muddy embankment while holding onto a sapling like a rope. 2 miles took us 4 hours. And the friends I went with are search and rescue instructors, and in amazing shape for this stuff. I did fine. They did fine. My cousin? Not so much. She is an experienced hiker. But, four hours of carrying a pack over logs, under trees (squatting and getting back up), etc. had her wrecked. We are talking that midway through she wondered if she would make it, her legs were so shaky. She is a runner, but skips strength. And paid for it. Hiking, rather than backpacking, this trail would not have been so difficult. It was the pack. In fact, that trip is what convinced me to break out my sewing machine and make my ultra-light gear.

Thank goodness we had the next day to float in the lake and recover. You won't. You will be getting up and going for another 20 miles. And from the sounds of it, you've camped and not backpacked. There is a difference. Your body is very clearly telling you that with the base you had when you started, four months was not enough time to train for this. Also, as suggested, you may very well have boot issues. With only 2 1/2 weeks to go, though, you better figure that one out FAST as you may need to break in new boots.

If you are determined to do this, you need to at least get the pack service. Even then, expect some pain and have a bail-out plan if it starts to feel unsafe rather than just hurting.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    I think there's a number of factors that are contributing to your problem. The first is that this undertaking is HUGE and shouldn't be underestimated. To do almost 20 miles a day for 5 days straight is putting your body under a tremendous amount of stress and the wear and tear is significant. I can't imagine anyone doing this and not having to endure some sort of discomfort, be it blisters, soreness, etc.

Second, I think your footwear may be contributing to the problem. I had a similar issue with my previous pair of hiking boots- as soon as I hiked for more than 5 miles or so, I started to get blisters on the back of my heel and the ball of my foot. Wearing sock liners didn't help, and neither did upgrading my insoles. Moleskin worked as a quick fix, but ultimately, I opted to get new boots. I've logged a couple hundred miles in my current pair and have yet to get a single blister or hot spot.

Third, it sounds like your joints, particularly your knees, are also taking a hit. If your knee is continuously sore from training for this event, you're only going to make it worse by continuing to push it for 5 full days. Listen to your body- it's clearly telling you that it's not capable for this kind of work and pushing it further is only going to make things worse.

This. If it were further away, I would have all sorts of advice to help you, starting with taking 3 to 5 days to rest your joints, as they are obviously on their way to injury. But with the walk being so close, the only advice I can give in good conscience is to skip it. Take some rest time to let your body repair itself, scale back when you start your training back up, and give yourself adequate time to make adjustments as you build up endurance for NEXT year's WHW.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Along with the boots (yep it sucks) suggestions and have a bailout plan, is there somewhere nearby you can walk on a similar terrain and surface to your long walk? even better if it has loops or easy ways out if you get too much pain instead of being stuck out a distance. See how the pain goes and what type of mileage you can get in preferably several days in a row to see if you can do it before you are stuck out. As much it would suck, if you can't do it on a smaller trip, you are not going to enjoy it the real one if you can do it all. Listen to your body and be honest with yourself
    . If not make it a goal to do it at a later point in time and look into training for long backpack trips online (backpacker magazine). I'm sure you could find something that will help you get to that goal faster.

You might look into some exercises for strengthening and stretching the knee, ankle and foot stabilizer muscles.
    It will help some, but I don't know if it will be enough in 2.5 weeks. Another suggestion is to use trekking poles, it will change your gait and will probably be easier on the joints, but may aggravate other body parts unitl you get used to it. again tricky with such a short time.