Can't force myself to 1000 calories!!

Options

Replies

• tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ST7927 wrote: »
    @tiffanyslimdown aside from the meds and eating...are you working out. Get on that treadmill and walk for 20 minutes and gradually get to 45 also do easy strength training exercises to begin with and you will see the weight drop. Working out is KEY! It will help you with weight loss but the strength training with also help with how your skin tightens up. Won't have as much loose skin.

Yes, I've been walking daily. Started at a mile and it took me 34min to complete it. The more I walk the netter my numbers get. I wanted to wait to before I started weight training but after reading others success and your comment here...why wait! Hanging arm fat and thigh fat is already a problem for me.
    Thanks @ST7927
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, if you want more calories, concentrate on more nutrient dense foods such as: nuts, avocado, cheese, cooking in oils, protein bars, protein shakes, dairy (add cheese to meals, full fat yogurts, ice cream) or even drink some calories. Many of these things will allow you to increase calories without increasing volume. And while, I understand that you have a good amount to lose, you should still be working to meet your nutrient requirements and teach yourself how to sustain an eating style long term. At 1000 calories, the average new person will not achieve their macornutrient and micronutrient requirements.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    Now I'm not sure whether you intend on sustaining your weight after that drastic weight loss.

But honestly even if you reach your goal weight, the moment you get off those meds your artificially reduced appetite will return back to normal.

If you're relying solely on meds to keep your appetite low rather than training yourself to enjoy and get used to proper portion control and sustainable food/eating routines as a habit the moment you get off those meds your appetite will slowly grow back to normal, and you will end up getting hungrier, eating more and gaining back that weight because you have essentially starved your body of calories to reach a certain weight - hence you will need to permanently keep your body in starvation mode to maintain that weight.

The best way is to try not to use those meds, or to use the time that those meds buy you to formulate a healthy eating pattern and a sustainable healthy lifestyle so that once you get off those meds, you WILL gain back some of that weight due to the unnatural way you lost it, but you will be ready equipped to manage it in a way where you will not go back to an unhealthy weight.

Thank you.

OP, what you're doing is an unsustainable fast-track 'E' ticket to yo-yo weight gain. Maybe your doctor is relying on that for the repeat business. Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. For the rest of your life. Simple as.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to see a nutritionist? There are a lot of great suggestions here, but a nutritionist would continuously work with you to not only help you reach your nutrition needs now, but in the long run too. I think it's great you are taking steps to be healthier, but if you don't learn to eat right when you're off the Phen, the weight will come back. It's just something to think about.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    AlyM725 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to see a nutritionist? There are a lot of great suggestions here, but a nutritionist would continuously work with you to not only help you reach your nutrition needs now, but in the long run too. I think it's great you are taking steps to be healthier, but if you don't learn to eat right when you're off the Phen, the weight will come back. It's just something to think about.

Registered Dietician...not nutritionist.

RD is a certified, accredited title; a nutritionist is likely a person who printed out a certificate from a website.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Phen is not going to help you in the long term, go revisit it with your doctor and see a registered dietitian. When I first started last year, the RD I met with played a huge part in setting me up for long term sustainable success.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Maybe you could ask your doctor to cut your Phen dose in half, or at least reduce it? Possibly the dosage is too high.

I take half my prescribed dose. I am also prescribed 37.5, but if I take that much, I feel awful - I can't eat, my mouth is too dry, I get headaches and a light-headed, spinny feeling and I just feel yucky overall. So I cut back to taking only half of my pill each day and I feel *so* much better. I actually take it to increase my metabolism because I wasn't having a problem with cravings/eating too much. I had been losing slowly but steadily for 3 years (I had a lot to lose) but I had been on a true plateau for about 8 months when I went to see my doctor about it in June. Since my blood work came back without showing any definitive medical reason why I was so stalled, my doctor and I decided to try this for a couple months to see if it would help break the plateau. Even taking half the recommended dose, it has helped immensely and I have started losing again without feeling so terrible from the full dose of Phen.

Also, I agree with many others. 50 pounds by November is very aggressive, even with a lot to lose. My personal feeling is to ditch the goals of a certain amount by a certain time and focus more on the good habits such as eating a balanced diet; weighing, measuring and logging all your food; and exercising. If you focus on good habits, the scale *will* respond and it won't set you up for disappointment if you don't hit an arbitrary number by a specified date. Any and all weight loss should be celebrated and it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as your overall trend line is going down.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Honestly? stop the meds under your doctor's supervision.
    If you aren't willing to do that: milk and EAS Complete Nutrition whey protein, with or without fruit blended in. Without fruit, an 8 oz shake is about 300 calories with whole milk.

I really hate to stop! I feel like it help me 100% percent with controlling appetite & bad choices I would previously make. I don't even crave nonsense foods.
    My short term goal is to be down 50lbs by November, but

It's 118 days till November 1st, 2015. That's around 16 weeks. To lose 50lb, you'd have to lose around 3lb per week. I'm not sure on your stats... but that's quite aggressive.

July, Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov...... 10lbs per month is what I was hoping to lose.
    10lbs a month? Yeah, this is full of nope nope nope.

More fork downs and table pushaways, and do it at a reasonable calorie deficit.
    No appetite suppressants needed.

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    MsJoisey wrote: »
    I really hate to stop! I feel like it help me 100% percent with controlling appetite & bad choices I would previously make. I don't even crave nonsense foods.
    My short term goal is to be down 50lbs by November, but will I get there without eating is my concern.

Many years ago I went on a doctor supervised liquid protein fast to lose weight. I did and when I came off it the weight came right back on. That particular program did not force me to have to deal with food, my relationship with it and so did not learn any useful habits that would allow me to keep the weight off.

If you don't need to be on that medication, and given you have some concerns, I would talk to your doctor about stopping. On a balanced eating plan you might be surprised to see those cravings for nonsense foods are under control. Works for me, Learning to deal with food, how to make good choices is very important to long term success.
    DING DING DING, we have a winner.

OP, listen to advice in here and think long-term and sustainable.
  • ST7927
    ST7927 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @tiffanyslimdown doesn't matter how long it takes you just do it and when you're more comfortable increase the incline and length of time. Listen to your body, but also push yourself. Next time you walk walk for 40 minutes. Then next week walk 45 minutes. Why wait to weight train?! No need! I suggest getting a trainer to show you the right way to do the routines then do them on your own at home or at the gym! Take your time...slow and steady wins the race...
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    ST7927 wrote: »
    @tiffanyslimdown doesn't matter how long it takes you just do it and when you're more comfortable increase the incline and length of time. Listen to your body, but also push yourself. Next time you walk walk for 40 minutes. Then next week walk 45 minutes. Why wait to weight train?! No need! I suggest getting a trainer to show you the right way to do the routines then do them on your own at home or at the gym! Take your time...slow and steady wins the race...

Thank you! Thank you....
  • TACKHANSEN
    TACKHANSEN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the 37.5 too but I have noticed it makes me really edgy. Anyone else have this problem. I can say it def helps kill your appetite. I love it I need to lose 60 pounds. I am 33 5'5" and weight 220.
  • TACKHANSEN
    TACKHANSEN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    anyone have any ideas
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus of the MFP board is to wean yourself off the phentermine.

I think it pays to understand hunger, learn it's signals, and pause before you reach. Reasons we might reach for food other than hunger:
    • Boredom
    • Habit
    • Fill an empty place
    • Anger
    • Sadness
    • Smells delicious

Mistaken for hunger:
    • Thirst
    • Indigestion

If you may be reaching for food for any reason other than genuine hunger, try something else. Like telling yourself to wait ten minutes before reaching for the treat. Drink some water. Go for a walk. Take up a new routine like knitting or crochet. Address the underlying emotional need.

If you are really hungry, eat! Sensibly. In proportion.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    @TACKHANSEN edgy/angry/moody/bad temper
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think the general consensus of the MFP board is to wean yourself off the phentermine.

I think it pays to understand hunger, learn it's signals, and pause before you reach. Reasons we might reach for food other than hunger:
    • Boredom
    • Habit
    • Fill an empty place
    • Anger
    • Sadness
    • Smells delicious

Mistaken for hunger:
    • Thirst
    • Indigestion

If you may be reaching for food for any reason other than genuine hunger, try something else. Like telling yourself to wait ten minutes before reaching for the treat. Drink some water. Go for a walk. Take up a new routine like knitting or crochet. Address the underlying emotional need.

If you are really hungry, eat! Sensibly. In proportion.

Makes sense to me!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    TACKHANSEN wrote: »
    I have been taking the 37.5 too but I have noticed it makes me really edgy. Anyone else have this problem. I can say it def helps kill your appetite. I love it I need to lose 60 pounds. I am 33 5'5" and weight 220.

It will always amaze me to see what people put themselves through to lose weight.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I had a (former) friend who spent four or five thousand for an internet-college diploma in "Holistic Nutrition." We parted ways after I told her firmly to stop spamming me 39 times a day with every. single. crank. website. exposing the horrible truth about vaccines, fluoride, chemtrails and Reptoids from the Hollow Earth. I have to assume she intended to practise as she studied -- online -- because I very much doubt there's much demand for 310 lb nutritionists.

I've had zero faith in the title ever since.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Yes @shadow2soul I have a lot to lose. Hopefully 100lbs by this time next year.

You can do that without drugs. Down 72 here since September last year and didn't really even optimise the first five months. Change in lifestyle through increasing activity and making some easy dietary changes... That's all it took

If you want to lose weight and keep it off for good, you need to adopt and make good habits and lifestyle choices your own.

Taking a pill is not changing your lifestyle. It isn't sustainable.

You don't need a pill, just need to make a commitment to yourself.