Running 101

Options
I would absolutely love to become a runner. I used to hate it (and still do) but as I am getting older I an starting to appreciate more people who do it and would love to try.
So where so I begin??? I currently have some extra baggage from having a baby 6 months ago, but I am still willing to try!!!

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    The Couch25k app by Zen Labs is free and a good start. You could look into joining a beginner's running group in your area (what I did and they pushed me when I doubted myself), or look on Facebook to see if there is a "Moms Run This Town" group in your area. Many of the members meet up to run together for safety and for the social aspect. Also, there are running groups on here that have lots more information for you too.

My best advice is to start slow and build a walking base and then slowly add in some jogging intervals. Lengthen the intervals over time and shorten the walk breaks and you will be running in no time. Once I reached a point that I could run a mile without walking (15 minutes!), I started pushing myself a little more to run a little each day.

Good luck!
  • BFSOAB69
    BFSOAB69 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Try a c25k plan (Coach to 5k) they are everywhere on the internet, join a running site that is nice to beginners. (I sign in to http://www.therunningbug.co.uk) as they will usually have the training programmes and people that will give you lots of encouragement.

Find a friend to run with
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This post, which is part of the "must reads" sticky at the top of the Fitness board, might be a good starting point: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to find a beginner 5k training program and start there. Couch 2 5k is probably the most popular one, but there are tons out there. Some are apps, some are just routines you follow with a basic stopwatch. You will feel really silly starting out with 30 second jogs sandwiched in between 2 minute walking breaks, but it's so worth it. It helps to build up your skeletal frame and joints, which is just as important as endurance. Just be patient and have fun.

Also, if you're serious about wanting to try running, get good quality shoes right off the bat. I spent years thinking that I could just use whatever until I "got good" at running, but I ended up quitting every time because of shin splints and blisters and other things that were partially preventable by simply having the right shoes.
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I second the C25K app plan. I just finished the program and ran my first 5K. I could not run a mile before I started the plan.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    My advice, if you don't like it, why do it?

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not exercise.

That being said, if you still want to try it, consider the C25K app. Super easy, and you can even repeat weeks if you find the pace is too fast.
  • sbostonRN
    sbostonRN Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hated running in the beginning but grew to love it! I started with the couch to 5K app and started on a treadmill, but now I find running on the treadmill to be very difficult and mind-numbingly boring. There are lots of apps out that will tell you when to walk and run, so it's a lot easier to do it outside now.

I would also suggest getting some running shoes. If you have a running store in your area, they are a wealth of information and will help you get fitted for shoes that work best for your stride and foot type. Because of the repetitive motion of running, it's really easy to get injured by wearing the wrong type of shoe.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    My advice is similar to above. If you are serious and will stick with it, get good shoes, otherwise don't run and save your time and money. Also, start slow. Everyone starting off running think it means going fast for some reason, and even what they think is a slow run is actually faster than they need to go. So make a conscious effort to run slow and you will find you can go further than you thought. Don't run every day at first. Run at most every other day. Getting proper rest, and starting slowly you will build up your aerobic system and be able to run even more. Before you know it, you will find yourself knocking out a 5k, 10k, and if you really get into it, maybe even something further than that.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I never liked running, but as a working mom I needed something cheap and something I could easily do when the family is asleep, so I started running reluctantly. Now. If I don't, I get in a beastly mood. I also did C25k
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Running is easy because it's the single exercise that your body is actually designed to do. But it doesn't feel easy at first so give it at least 4 months and you will have something you can burn tons of calories with almost effortlessly (at least for easy runs).
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am starting C25K tonight. Feel free to add me!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    My advice, if you don't like it, why do it?

Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, not exercise.

She may hate it now, but once she gets going, she may find she enjoys it. That's what happened to me. I absolutely hated it (I tried 2 or 3 times to start running, unsuccessfully), but recently have become hooked on running. I love it!

As far as losing weight, yes that comes from a calorie deficit but there are two components to that...what you consume and what you burn. You can change either one or both of those components to get to your deficit, so exercise certainly does help you lose weight just as much as eat less will.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I wish running wasn't used as a punishment in sports/in school gym classes. I think this contributes to people's disdain for it.

I've always loved running, but doing it for fitness and exercise wasn't easy at first. C25k is a good place to start. After years off from running, I'm right back there with the beginners. Repeating week 5 of c25k this week. :)