Govenor Brown signs mandatory vaccine bill

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
edited July 2015 in Chit-Chat
http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/06/30/experts-california-vaccine-bill-could-prevent-outbreaks

I've been a proponent for vaccination since forever and am happy to see this. It's not about parents rights, it's about reducing risk of passing on diseases to others. Whether or not a parent believes that their child needs vaccinating (unless their already a serious health issue) the law is more about not subjecting others to outbreaks. Personally I had a friend whose child passed due to whooping cough.
Like wearing a seatbelt, staying at normal weight, or wearing sunscreen, vaccines are to REDUCE risk and aren't an insurance, however unlike the previous 3, vaccination is to help reduce risk for many and not just an individual.

Let's debate this cordially if you're against the law.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• 47DougVernon
    47DougVernon Posts: 1 Member
    usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/02/measles-death-washington-state/29624385/

First measles death in over 12 years yesterday...

"The woman's death was a preventable, but predictable, consequence of falling vaccination rates," said Peter Hotez, president of the Sabin Vaccine Institute and Texas Children's Hospital Center for Vaccine Development in Houston.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm glad. Good ol Rick Perry mandated the HPV vaccine a while ago.... although, he did it to get paid and not for a genuine interest in the health care of others.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    I don't know what to think. I'm all for protecting your health so you can be your best you, but my family always had to fight against school vaccination rules because the majority of vaccines are live and make. Me. Very sick!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I don't know what to think. I'm all for protecting your health so you can be your best you, but my family always had to fight against school vaccination rules because the majority of vaccines are live and make. Me. Very sick!

If they make the child sick then they can be waived.
  • ninerbuff
    kami3006 wrote: »
    zcb94 wrote: »

If they make the child sick then they can be waived.
    This. The bill is for parents that use exceptions like religion or personal beliefs to relieve their child from not getting them. It's not asked that they give up their beliefs, it's imposed if they want their children to attend school with others. This will also apply to daycares and child care centers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    This is an issue I'm passionate about.

My daughter had a *severe* allergic reaction to the Pertussis vaccine when she was a toddler. The second of three shots in the series landed her in the hospital for a lengthy stay. A third would've killed her. Needless to say, she was exempted from receiving any additional Pertussis vaccine, which, here in Canada, had to be registered with the Health Department and noted on her vaccination record in order for her to attend school.

So as a result, my daughter had, at best, only partial immunity to Whopping Cough, and relied on the herd immunity factor to keep her safe. I had no qualms sending her to school because I knew her fellow classmates were all fully vaccinated.

My daughter got Whopping Cough at the age of seven. It was traced to another child not at school but at skating lessons that I had enrolled her in. Turns out the child who gave it to her was home-schooled because the parents didn't believe in vaccines.

There is SO much misinformation (derp and woo!) surrounding this issue, including a grossly mistaken belief linking vaccines to autism, for example. This particular bit of woo has been thoroughly debunked over the past few years, but it keeps popping up.

Vaccinate your kids. For their health as well as for the health of the community at large. As parents, you have this responsibility. Get educated.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2015

My daughter had a *severe* allergic reaction to the Pertussis vaccine when she was a toddler. The second of three shots in the series landed her in the hospital for a lengthy stay. A third would've killed her. Needless to say, she was exempted from receiving any additional Pertussis vaccine, which, here in Canada, had to be registered with the Health Department and noted on her vaccination record in order for her to attend school.

So as a result, my daughter had, at best, only partial immunity to Whopping Cough, and relied on the herd immunity factor to keep her safe. I had no qualms sending her to school because I knew her fellow classmates were all fully vaccinated.

My daughter got Whopping Cough at the age of seven. It was traced to another child not at school but at skating lessons that I had enrolled her in. Turns out the child who gave it to her was home-schooled because the parents didn't believe in vaccines.

There is SO much misinformation (derp and woo!) surrounding this issue, including a grossly mistaken belief linking vaccines to autism, for example. This particular bit of woo has been thoroughly debunked over the past few years, but it keeps popping up.

Vaccinate your kids. For their health as well as for the health of the community at large. As parents, you have this responsibility. Get educated.

I love hearing this and I agree. As the mother of a 14 year old autistic daughter, I believe this "link" is utter woo poo.
  • ninerbuff
    The issue is that like dieting plans, there are people who deny that actual plans to reduce risk are the cause for whatever malady their child may have. Listening to celebrities like Jenny McCarthy or Jim Carrey (who I love as a comedian) on anti vaccination because of a single study (that has been debunked many times) is the rage because people don't want regulation by government. I get that to a point, but endangering others because of a stance against vaccines should then be deemed crime if their child is found to passed on a contangious disease and causes the demise of another child. It's not that way now, but if an unleashed dog kills a child (or any human) the owner is held responsible.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member

I'm sorry to hear your daughter's story. This is pretty much what happens to me unless the germs are killed. In short, I end up getting the targeted disease tenfold!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/06/30/experts-california-vaccine-bill-could-prevent-outbreaks

I've been a proponent for vaccination since forever and am happy to see this. It's not about parents rights, it's about reducing risk of passing on diseases to others. Whether or not a parent believes that their child needs vaccinating (unless their already a serious health issue) the law is more about not subjecting others to outbreaks. Personally I had a friend whose child passed due to whooping cough.
    Like wearing a seatbelt, staying at normal weight, or wearing sunscreen, vaccines are to REDUCE risk and aren't an insurance, however unlike the previous 3, vaccination is to help reduce risk for many and not just an individual.

Let's debate this cordially if you're against the law.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I totally agree!!!!!!