Giving up Alcohol

Options

Replies

• foofyq
    foofyq Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mee! Just started seriously cutting back. Currently I'm only drinking on the weekends. It's really hard! I love me some wine. I've been supplementing with straight Le Croix seltzer water. It's definitely not the same but it feels special because it's got bubbles :D
  • bostongrl13
    bostongrl13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking wine during the week but still give myself 1-2 drinks during the weekend if we are going out or have a special occasion. Luckily my boyfriend is not a big drinker either and we both have cut it down for fitness reasons so his support makes it easier. When I do drink I tend to drink stout beers and dry red wines that take me longer to drink and fill me up more. At first I thought I was going to miss my wine every night but now that I get up super early to workout, and I'm seeing myself get back into shape I don't miss it at all. It's all personal preference though...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Anyone else giving up alcohol as part of their plan? I'd love some support. I have been cutting drastically back as that's my only source of extra calories, but man, do I miss that glass or two of wine at the end of the day when the kids have been crazy!

Yes, I haven't had any alcohol for two months. I'd much rather eat my calories. Of course, I'm at 1200 a day plus exercise calories, so I don't have a lot of room. If I did, I would choose cake or cheese over alcohol, though.
  • anklebiter3
    anklebiter3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any alcohol for just over three months :) I had been drinking for the extra calories, but in the end it was harming me too much to be worth it. It's not nearly as difficult as I thought it was going to be, but I do miss the occasional drink. You can do it!
  • catherine1187
    catherine1187 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... I love wine and beer and the social aspect, especially during the summer! I am planning on cutting back drastically because I know it will make a huge difference. Sooo I'm going to aim for moderation and definitely only weekends/special occasions!
  • gkclanin
    gkclanin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me...I poured out all the alcohol in the house this morning. Drinking=making bad food choices for me so I decided to cut out the drinking.
  • elboriquany
    elboriquany Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    3 months ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and hyper tension........as part of my change I've cut out all alcohol and I don't miss it one bit.........I've lost 26 pounds and have my diabetes under control.........you can do it
  • RMSchmidt17
    RMSchmidt17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    gkclanin wrote: »
    Me...I poured out all the alcohol in the house this morning. Drinking=making bad food choices for me so I decided to cut out the drinking.
    Ditto. It's not just the extra 2-300 calories from having wine, it's the chips or cereal I have afterwards because my willpower dissolves. It's the fact that I can't push myself to run as far the next morning because I never sleep as well. The calories and the spillover consequences are not worth it!
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've reserved my wine for special occasions...even if that occasion is just a day I've decided I'd really like to fit in a glass or two! I try and keep at least 4 weeks between the last time, too. Its not something I'm prepared to totally give up because I really enjoy it and feel I can manage to do so responsibly. But I don't keep cheese in the house because I'm not strong enough to resist, so I appreciate when people need to go teetotal!
  • horseswinelife
    horseswinelife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Funny - I just decided this morning to have a Dry July (or at least the rest of it). Im curious to see how I feel and sleep. Maybe make it permanent? Who knows
  • gkclanin
    gkclanin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dry July. I like it.
  • Lorah184
    Lorah184 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dry July. I kinda like that idea! I'm trying to drop 5 lbs before my wedding in October, and I do great on my diet Sunday-Thursday when alcohol isn't involved. A few beers and my discipline goes out the window, no matter how much I promise myself I won't give in to late night snacking and the foods I don't normally eat when sober.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out alcohol completely, but my drinking has been drastically reduced. I had one whole beer all last week. That's usually how it goes these days.
  • mla1076
    mla1076 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have Saturday as my reward day and that is when I get to enjoy some wine that I have so deserved all week.t. Funny I thought it would be harder to give up as after a stressful day, nothing is better. I'm thinking as I move through this journey the rewards will change as Sunday I found myself not so motivated to do much, still made it to the gym so bring on week 2 of this journey.
  • GingerDrake2015
    GingerDrake2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I like my four loko at the end of the day . The calories in it are 660 and 69 carbs ouch. But I'm trying to cut back.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I drink on occasion, but far less than I used to because it is hard to justify all the extra calories.

I know kids are very stressful, so I didn't have any. Some stressors are more difficult to avoid (for example, my dad died recently and I've drank more in the past few weeks than I have all of 2015 prior to that).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I cut it out at first as I wanted to lose the excess weight as fast as possible and didn't want any unnecessary calories. I still drank with family & friends at events and holidays, but just made up for it later. Now I'm getting towards maintenance and Have about 4-5 drinks throughout the week.

I don't believe in eliminating anything from your diet, especially those things you enjoy. Everything in moderation - just keep logging and keeping an eye on your progress and you'll be fine.
  • shaytuck
    shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I suggest gradually cutting back. I used to have at least two HUGE glasses of wine every night, then I cut it down to one, then every other day, then the weekend and finally I just stopped buying it. My mom came to visit and she came equipped with tons of wine but even then I would only have a small glass or two a day. When she left I threw it out because I knew sooner or later I'd be bringing out my huge glass again.

I used to say things like "I'm not going to drink wine for a month" but that goal was a bit much for me - try 2 or 3 day goals, increase it to a week and go from there. It's been much easier to lose weight without the wine although I miss it- a lot (like literally smelled my husband's wine the other night).
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm calling this my sober summer. I gave up the beer not necessarily for weight lost but because I stopped smoking June 1. Since then I have been successful in losing weight so for me its been a good choice.
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Im so glad I came across this thread, I have the weekend drinker problems.... lose self control... over more drinks and then tipsy food choices...followed by feeling like *kitten* for a day or two, and then disgetive probs. so I wish I could finish out the july dry but I have 6 bday parties a rock concert untill the end of the month...raahhh!!!!

I need to go in hiding... I felt like a queen inmyself when I didnt drink... but I just like to drink and dance way to much.