tips for new walker / jogger?

Options
coastal247
coastal247 Posts: 12 Member
Im overweight, looking to lose 30lbs. So the beginning stages of walking & jogging aren't as comfortable as they once were. Any tips or advice on any aspect of beginning a jogging routine for weight loss? (Self conscious, uncomfortable, I dont love it YET lol.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I had to start slow before it became comfortable and easier for me, which I was also 100+ pounds more than I needed to be. I started by building a walking base, being able to walk a couple of miles at once without feeling winded or my legs screaming in revolt. It was probably a 3 mph pace or a touch more. Then I started walking at a 3.5 - 3.7 mph pace for a little while. I slowly added in slow jogging (people were walking faster than me) for 30-40 seconds and then walking for a little more than 4 minutes. I did this for awhile to the point that I could run 6 minutes at a 4.3-4.5 pace. I then joined a beginner's running group to work towards running a 5k. The first week we had to run a half mile before we stopped, I didn't think I could do it but I did! After that, I gained confidence in being able to run without needing to stop every few minutes and ran a 5k last month! My best advice is to start slow, especially with the running aspect as you work to build your muscles for the new activity, and enjoy the view!

Good luck!
  • tanyajensen75
    tanyajensen75 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also am starting to jog/run again. It is tough, but I think it's worth it! I can't wait to run my first 5K! Add me if you would like to motivate each other!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    First develop a good walking base. Keep increasing your walking time and speed until you can briskly walk for at least 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, look into the many running programs for beginners. There are many to choose from. Some are timed programs, some are distance programs, some add a "thrill" such as zombies, etc. Find one that looks like it'll work for you. Once you have a firm walking base, you'll be ready to start the program.
    Take an old pair of walking/running shoes to a running store to have your gait checked out. Get a good pair of shoes designed to fit your feet properly.

Don't concern yourself about what you think that other people are thinking. I guarantee that they either don't see you or they think you're amazing for getting out there and running. As a beginner runner, you'll probably think they're all laughing at you (I know I thought that) but they aren't. Guaranteed.

Slow down. I know you think you're running slow already but it's probably too fast. If you're having trouble making it through a run session of the program, slow down but don't stop.

This is an active and supportive group for runners. Lots of good advice and encouragement:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

You can do this. It's a great feeling to run but it takes awhile to get there. Congratulations on getting started!
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    coastal247 wrote: »
    Im overweight, looking to lose 30lbs. So the beginning stages of walking & jogging aren't as comfortable as they once were. Any tips or advice on any aspect of beginning a jogging routine for weight loss? (Self conscious, uncomfortable, I dont love it YET lol.

I started very slow in October (1 mile and it took me over 13 minutes). Now I'm running 5K's at a 8:55 min/mile pace :smiley: Just in my opinion... I still don't love it! I get so bored. I have music, run where there are more people, and try to find running buddies but it still isn't my favorite thing. I love how I feel after and what its doing for my body but I am not the biggest fan haha!
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    First develop a good walking base. Keep increasing your walking time and speed until you can briskly walk for at least 30 minutes.
    Meanwhile, look into the many running programs for beginners. There are many to choose from. Some are timed programs, some are distance programs, some add a "thrill" such as zombies, etc. Find one that looks like it'll work for you. Once you have a firm walking base, you'll be ready to start the program.
    Take an old pair of walking/running shoes to a running store to have your gait checked out. Get a good pair of shoes designed to fit your feet properly.

Don't concern yourself about what you think that other people are thinking. I guarantee that they either don't see you or they think you're amazing for getting out there and running. As a beginner runner, you'll probably think they're all laughing at you (I know I thought that) but they aren't. Guaranteed.

Slow down. I know you think you're running slow already but it's probably too fast. If you're having trouble making it through a run session of the program, slow down but don't stop.

This is an active and supportive group for runners. Lots of good advice and encouragement:

You can do this. It's a great feeling to run but it takes awhile to get there. Congratulations on getting started!

THIS ^^^ ALL OF THIS!!
    I wish I knew this when I started out.
    Oh, and, make sure whatever type of pants/shorts you choose to wear fit a bit snug!! Very awkward having your shorts fall off, trust me! Not a fun time!
  • Stephkasl
    Stephkasl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is awesome and helped me loose weight. It's a great program and perfect for those just starting.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

THIS ^^^ ALL OF THIS!!
    I wish I knew this when I started out.
    Oh, and, make sure whatever type of pants/shorts you choose to wear fit a bit snug!! Very awkward having your shorts fall off, trust me! Not a fun time!

Yes, I agree. This is great advice. My suggestion is once you find a pair of shoes that are comfortable and support you (professional guidance is usually great in this regard), replace your shoes often (every 500 miles I believe is the recommendation). Your feet and legs are working really hard and you don't do yourself any favors by running on worn out shoes. I have a particular brand and model shoe that work for me and I re-order them online from Shoe Buy when they need replacing.

Also, I wanted to reiterate not to worry what others are thinking. I understand that feeling because that's how I felt when I started walking long distance events ten years ago. I have cerebral palsy and I walk with a limp. I walk very, very slowly. Usually I'm the last to finish a race. I can't run (I wish I could!). But over and over again, runners and walkers of all abilities have encouraged me, high-fived me, and cheered me on as they raced past me. It's a wonderfully supportive community! Welcome! We only wish we could entice more people like you to join us!

9566339.png
  • coastal247
    coastal247 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WOW! Just knowing someone else has gone through it or is at the same spot is very encouraging! I live in a very 'fit conscious' community, Which is great for motivation - but discouraging at times. Especially when I go to pick up my kids, lol... Did you ALL just leave the cross fit box? Im quite athletic, sports all my life - so it's frustrating to struggle. The bird chasing the cat on my walk made it worth it. And the construction guys were laughing, I almost cried until I realized it was because I was singing & likely dancing, haha. Thanks for all the advice & being so open & willing to help. If only my sports bra was this supportive! Lol
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love walking, but really want to start jogging/running. So much great advice here. I just wish I wasn't so unbelievably self-conscious about it. I don't know why, but I am and it drives me crazy.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Here's a blog post that I just love:

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

9566339.png
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I started by using the elliptical. I was so scared to run. Once I was comfortable going for 30 minutes + on the elliptical I slowly moved to walking/running on the treadmill. I did a lot of walking, then running for a minute or two, then walking...until I was able to run 1 mile without walking. After that I steadily increased until I was running 4-5 miles on the treadmill.
    Then one day i decided to run outside and see what that was all about. I've never hit a treadmill since (except in horrible down pours and no other option). I'm a running fanatic now and I do it as much as possible.
    Try a couch to 5k program.
  • PaytraB
    Options

I love this blog entry! Thanks for posting it.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Jipster11 wrote: »
    I love walking, but really want to start jogging/running. So much great advice here. I just wish I wasn't so unbelievably self-conscious about it. I don't know why, but I am and it drives me crazy.

Can you find a secluded trail that offers you some level of privacy until you feel better? Fight that feeling of self-consciousness. It's destructive. You want to run.....get out and run.

I trained over the winter on a treadmill and was really hesitant to get out in the spring. When I did, every time I passed a runner, I looked down to the ground in embarrassment. I wish I could go back and tell myself not to be so silly. People are lovely, as Themedalist has said the runners/walkers you go by will smile, high five, greet and generally encourage you on. They've all been in your shoes before.
    I'm still the slowest runner on the block but I now look around and enjoy my surroundings. I greet, smile and encourage all new runners on the road. Yes, they are noticeable and so, so encouraging to see. They are the winners and I cheer them on whole-heartedly, as do all the other runners on the road.
    What's really great is to see these new runners every few weeks. Their progress is amazing.

• adoud1
    adoud1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    GET THE RIGHT SHOES!!! This is soooo important if you are taking your walking/running seriously. I began walking and within a month, my lower back hurt so bad I thought I might have to quit. I talked to a trainer and read lots of stuff online about lower back pain and figured the easiest solution would be to get quality shoes before checking out all the other medical possibilities. I went to a running store and had the clerk help me with several different pairs until I found the perfect ones. It's been three months now and I keep saying, "these shoes are the best investment I've made in the last six months!!!"
    And I agree with starting slowly and working up your speed and endurance. Your body will let you know when it's ready to move to the next level and you will find more confidence as you're able to walk/run faster and further than before. Good luck!
  • panamena440
    panamena440 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started my walking journey a few days ago. Hopefully I will be able to jog within a few weeks. I had a knee injury about 2 years ago from running and I do not want to reinjure my knee. Right now i am going for 1-2 hour long brisk walksb I need to lose 60 pounds. The right footwear is key. So I always make sure I have great sneaker support.
  • FrostyAshton
    FrostyAshton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started my walking journey a few days ago. Hopefully I will be able to jog within a few weeks. I had a knee injury about 2 years ago from running and I do not want to reinjure my knee. Right now i am going for 1-2 hour long brisk walksb I need to lose 60 pounds. The right footwear is key. So I always make sure I have great sneaker support.

I'm in the same boat. I need to lose probably more like 70 or 80 now, but walks were how I started. Still working on finding what I love when it comes to exercise.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Walking is great!

If you do want to start running/jogging, use a program like C25K. Go slow. I don't care if you can walk faster than you are jogging. It's about building endurance. Speed will come with time. Go sloooooow. I can't overstate it.

I also second the shoes advice. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. They'll do it for walkers too.
  • tlblake84
    tlblake84 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place you are. I actually started walking/jogging/running and was doing great but then two weeks into it I couldn't jog 20 feet without the worst shin splints. I learned from talking to people I went to fast. I am now starting over and am mostly walking and my jogging being as slow as my walk. Just getting the movement in and heartrate up.