Sugar?

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
is there a certain time we should be limiting our intake of sugar? I eat a lot of Greek yoghurt strawberries and honey especially after dinner between 5pm -6pm. I wondered if this can hinder weight loss? I know it comes down to calories in vs calories out and that's it but I wondered if sugar can cause a spike or halt in your weight loss journey or if it should be totally avoided at certain times of the day etc? Someone had said to try and avoid sugar later in the evening not sure the reason why & wondered if anyone had any info on it or wether as long as you stick to yor goals and stay under calories you'll be fine.

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Do a forum search on sugar and you'll find numerous threads and you can read all the arguments before they appear here.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Timing is completely immaterial in terms of overall weight loss.

Some people will time sugar/carb intake to get a "rush" to fuel workouts, etc. But as far as weight loss is concerned, it's all about the overall deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Timing is completely immaterial in terms of overall weight loss.

Some people will time sugar/carb intake to get a "rush" to fuel workouts, etc. But as far as weight loss is concerned, it's all about the overall deficit.

this...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - think about it...why would sugar be better for you at 10am than at 9pm...? If it makes no sense, it is because it makes no sense.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Stick to your calorie goals you will be fine (unless your diabetic or something and actually need to watch sugar intake). I will sometimes have a snack right before bed (sometimes with sugar, sometimes not) and I haven't had any issues losing weight.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Summary: weight loss is calories in vs calorie out. If sugary things fit your calories, have at them if you wish. The time of day you eat things doesn't matter--calories in vs calories out, after all. The only thing it might hinder is your ability to sleep. If that is the case, I suggest switching your food around so you don't get the 'sugar rush' late at night. Good luck!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Totally irrelevant OP

Only when you train it can be handy to eat something with a low or high GI, sugar to fuel your training. That's all.
  • NinoLatinoC
    NinoLatinoC Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the devil..
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the devil..
    2ec8d95ca3823461ae8dd2e1f4c9a452.jpg

• Samm471
    Options
    Haha thanks! I just wasn't sure. I was just curious as to what other people thought. Thanks for the replies
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant.

I eat Greek yogurt, raspberries, oats, and chocolate chips every night around the same time you eat your yogurt. Sometimes I follow it up with ice cream or candy or cookies.

So far, doing that? I've lost almost 50 pounds.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I sometimes snort lines of white sugar at midnight and I've lost 133 pounds.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    is there a certain time we should be limiting our intake of sugar? I eat a lot of Greek yoghurt strawberries and honey especially after dinner between 5pm -6pm. I wondered if this can hinder weight loss? I know it comes down to calories in vs calories out and that's it but I wondered if sugar can cause a spike or halt in your weight loss journey or if it should be totally avoided at certain times of the day etc? Someone had said to try and avoid sugar later in the evening not sure the reason why & wondered if anyone had any info on it or wether as long as you stick to yor goals and stay under calories you'll be fine.

Generally, calorie timing isn't going to have enough of an effect to make any significant difference in your outcome.

• Samm471
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    I sometimes snort lines of white sugar at midnight and I've lost 133 pounds.

Nice! I gotta get me some of this sugaaaa!!
  • Samm471
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant.

I eat Greek yogurt, raspberries, oats, and chocolate chips every night around the same time you eat your yogurt. Sometimes I follow it up with ice cream or candy or cookies.

So far, doing that? I've lost almost 50 pounds.

Wow way to go! Love the profile pic btw hahaha!