HOW MUCH PROTEIN?

Options
I was wondering how much protein a person needs. I do cardio 45 3-4 times a week and do strength training with a trainer 2 x a week. my trainer says average of 20g per meal - does that sound about right - today i am over on my protein. How is this decided?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The default protein levels set by MFP are quite low. So going over is a good thing.

I aim for 80-100g per day.
  • idealpromom
    idealpromom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks - but how is the amount figured out. i don't want to go against my trainer - she rocks! but... it just doesn't seem right. and that was my next question... is it bad to go over ....
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I aim for a range of 80-100+ g a day.
    For me this puts me in a range of
    1.33 g to 1.65 g + per kg of body weight.
    or
    0.8 g to 1.02 g + per lb of lean body mass (based on scale estimated bf%).
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Studies has shown that a protein intake of 0.82g/lbs of lean body mass is a good amount to shoot for. Think of this a minimum, going over isn't a bad thing.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Actually, studies have shown that 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight (not lean body mass) is the upper register of what even bodybuilders can use.

The typical protein range that is best for active individuals is 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. If you want to use lean body mass instead, then the rate is more like 1 to 1.2 grams per 1 lb. lean body mass... the protein target is roughly going to be the same with both formulas.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Actually, studies have shown that 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight (not lean body mass) is the upper register of what even bodybuilders can use.

The typical protein range that is best for active individuals is 0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. If you want to use lean body mass instead, then the rate is more like 1 to 1.2 grams per 1 lb. lean body mass... the protein target is roughly going to be the same with both formulas.

That's assuming generally the same amount of bodyfat %. Which simply doesn't apply to this site. Basing it on total weight will give you wildly different numbers depending on the person.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

That's assuming generally the same amount of bodyfat %. Which simply doesn't apply to this site. Basing it on total weight will give you wildly different numbers depending on the person.

The extremely sedentary and obese populations have different guidelines for protein. Both of our recommendations would be too much protein for these crowds. 0.60 g/bodyweight would be the very upper limit of what I would recommend an obese individual.

Nevertheless, the OP is strength training and did not disclose if she was obese.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Studies has shown that a protein intake of 0.82g/lbs of lean body mass is a good amount to shoot for. Think of this a minimum, going over isn't a bad thing.

This.

As for your trainer's advice, it depends on how many meals you are eating and the purpose of the advice. Personally, I find that including at least 20 g of protein (and usually more) as part of a balanced meal does help me stay more satisfied and not be hungry throughout the day.
  • idealpromom
    Options
    so if i weigh 210 using .60 i should have 126g a day ? am i doing this right
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    75g is probably enough without knowing more detail. Extra fat weight doesn't need more protein. 120g isn't excessive assuming it's 35% or less of calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    so if i weigh 210 using .60 i should have 126g a day ? am i doing this right

That is probably a good start. I generally see most women around 100-125g per day.

• idealpromom
    Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was wondering how much protein a person needs. I do cardio 45 3-4 times a week and do strength training with a trainer 2 x a week. my trainer says average of 20g per meal - does that sound about right - today i am over on my protein. How is this decided?

If you are an athlete or highly active person currently attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean muscle mass, a daily intake of 1.5-2.2g/kg bodyweight (0.68-1g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are an athlete or highly active person, or you are attempting to lose body fat while preserving lean mass, then a daily intake of 1.0-1.5g/kg bodyweight (0.45-0.68g/lb bodyweight) would be a good target.

If you are sedentary and not looking to change body composition much, a daily target of 0.8g/kg bodyweight (0.36g/lb bodyweight) and upwards would be a good target.

Two other things should be noted as follow-up:

Studies have only really intensively looked at dosages up to 1.5g/kg bodyweight, and others have touched down on dietary intakes in the 2.2g/kg or 3.0g/kg range. That being said, there do not appear to be any apparent negative effects to a higher protein intake. See this FAQ topic for more information.

If you are obese, using a protein intake relative to body weight is a bad idea. Either calculate your lean mass (overall weight after subtracting fat mass, which can be calculated by body fat percentage) or use your goal/target weight for calculations.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html
  • idealpromom
    Options
    Thank you all! Very helpful.