Shoulders clicking?!

Options
My shoulders click and make weird noises!! Anyone else? Today was shoulder press, side and front lateral raises and rear delts which all made clicking noises as my arms moved. Other exercises that involve my shoulders like push-ups or walking planks don't have an effect.

Normal? Should I spray some wd-40 on before I start?

Replies

• misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm the same, my left knee and shoulder both seem to click when I do certain exercises. It isn't painful just annoying. :(
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Mine started clicking. Became painful. I have labral tears. Be careful.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Mine have clicked for years. If you put your hand flat on your shoulder can you feel the joint clicking? I can. as misschoppo said it isn't painful, just annoying. But I do find I have a weakness in that side, my arm and shoulder. Must be connected, but no idea what to do. And as it isn't painful, I don't worry about it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've generally heard it's not something to worry about if it doesn't hurt.

However.

For *me*, when my shoulders start clicking, it's a sign that I need to get religious about my rotator cuff exercises, or I'm going to have an achey shoulder pretty soon.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Same goes for me, it does not hurt and is just annoying. I haven't noticed any problems from it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    My left one clicks-and that would be the shoulder I am still rehabbing. Mine specifically pops every time I go above 90 degrees, you can feel it and almost see it. This shoulder has always been a little weaker.

It took a while but I did eventually hurt the shoulder and have pain. I would suggest you take it easy on your shoulders. Gently increase weights and make sure you also strengthen your back and chest. I do best if I work on mobility and ease back at the slightest hint of something off. Shoulders are complicated-be careful with them
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    My shoulders were stiff yesterday, but I realised I had left the coat hanger in my jacket. (cough).
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I get that in my knees while doing squats. No pain, just a noise that makes you wonder what's going on.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine and fish oil might help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have popcorn knees. My physiotherapist explained it was healed spots of inflammation on my tendon, so it's as if a rubber band had hard spots. My knees go crackle and pop going up and down stairs. It's not painful and my physiotherapist told me not to worry about it.

But I am also working on strengthening and supporting these old knees!
  • Nathan121383
    Nathan121383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. A month or two worth of glucosamine took it away
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I was doing shoulder press today and my shoulder was almost 'crunching' really off putting . I didn't chance it and my PT moved me onto something else
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I had to quit doing dumbbell shoulder presses and stick with only barbell because the former made my shoulders hurt. With the barbell, my elbows are pointed forward vs being more out to the side for dumbbells. It has made a big difference. I figured out the issue after watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR38_ZKKUCs
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    As an older lifter, I have all kinds of pops and crunches. My headphones usually take care of it :)
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses...glad I'm not alone. I certainly don't like the noise as it sounds weird and damaging not being able to visually see it.
    My left hip pops if I'm doing bicycles for the abs and I alter my movement to avoid it because my back has been thrown out of whack from misaligned hips. NOT fun.

Does anyone warmup their arms prior to weightlifting? I just do some 80's arm circles and get to work! Lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I warm up on my treadmill. While I'm walking for 5-10 minutes I do 20-30 second spurts of arm circles, no weight ohp, general arm flailing, etc.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    bmchenry02 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses...glad I'm not alone. I certainly don't like the noise as it sounds weird and damaging not being able to visually see it.
    My left hip pops if I'm doing bicycles for the abs and I alter my movement to avoid it because my back has been thrown out of whack from misaligned hips. NOT fun.

Does anyone warmup their arms prior to weightlifting? I just do some 80's arm circles and get to work! Lol

I do a series of shoulder exercises with light weights for a warm up. I grab some 5s or 7s and do a few sets of lateral raises, upright rows, front raises, etc. I don't know how you split your week-but I do chest and shoulders together. So after the warmup I do bench press and then shoulder presses etc. This has helped tremendously in making sure my shoulder is warmed up before I really work it
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My left elbow clicks when lifting weights, no pain though so I just carry on.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    bmchenry02 wrote: »

I do a series of shoulder exercises with light weights for a warm up. I grab some 5s or 7s and do a few sets of lateral raises, upright rows, front raises, etc. I don't know how you split your week-but I do chest and shoulders together. So after the warmup I do bench press and then shoulder presses etc. This has helped tremendously in making sure my shoulder is warmed up before I really work it

I'm following Jamie Eason's 12 week plan and shoulders and abs are together. It starts with shoulder press to front and side laterals...I might need to incorporate something before this because that combo really creates some clicking! Although not with side lateral raises...only above my head or bent over delts.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,440 Member
    Options
    My sternum clicks when I do dynamic stretches, like lifting the arms up over my head. That's weird.