Shin splints

Options
Hi everyone,

I know this is prolly asked ad nauseum but I just want to re-confirm , is it okay to use the elliptical or bike machines while shin splints heal? i think i got them by increasing the speed of my run segments too quickly compared to the walking segments.

I don't want to give up physical activity altogether. Do you have any other suggestions that you think might be better (no swimming I don't have access to a pool!)?

Thank you!!

Replies

• smilingmakesyouhappy
    Options
    Hi, it depends how much they hurt! I get them really bad and I can't go on the elliptical for sure. Haven't tried the bike though. Maybe just do strength training and ab work for now!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if it aggravates them I would say. I had issues with shin splints and the elliptical was no good for me. I stuck to the bike and swimming and they healed up fine.
  • goddesskde
    goddesskde Posts: 7
    Options
    When my shin splints are bothering me I lay off of any impact exercise.. Bikes are ok and elliptical is fine as long as it doesn't hurt. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation are all key to heal them up properly.
  • Kimber1012001
    Kimber1012001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    awesome thank you, ure all awesome!! :)
  • krizstyling
    krizstyling Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just as an aside, Rock Tape works WONDERS on shin splints!! It helped me push through them and still do boot camp =) Even tho they hurt like a MOTHER when the rock tape wasn't on! I ordered mine on amazon because believe it or not, even in NYC it's hard to find!