Gain 5-8 lbs every time I up my workouts

Options

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Rworthy wrote: »
    This isn't the first time. This happens EVERY time I increase calories burned. The weight doesn't go down until I stop exercising completely. Then is maybe 1/2 pound lower than last time I quit exercising. ......

There is your answer. You ARE losing weight, but you have a +5-8lb "exercise inflammation" buffer. So, keep at the exercise, knowing you could be 5-8lbs less when you stop due to inflammation etc, keep that in mind as your "true weight" if it helps, and keep going! From what little I know of you and what you reveal here, it looks like you should keep going until you hit that "Serena" weight target +5-8lbs.

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Is your goal to be more fit or weigh less? The answer depends on what action you take.

Its probably water weight that your body is using to recover from the additional workouts.

Definitely weigh less. Ive never been able to know what my true goal weight is. I should compare myself to a Williams sister. Im definitely more of an athletc build. Im 5'7" - female - 206 pounds (now 213). According to everything this is obese. I dont know my body fat percentage but I guess it's around 25% (feel free to point me to the direction of a reliable body fat % calculator )...so I have no idea what my goal weight should be. I was personally aiming for 195.

I use the fat2fit tools military body fat calculator. As long as you use the same one consistently you will get a pretty good idea. I am 5'8" and weigh 198. I put on muscle fairly easily (compared to some) but currently have over 40% body fat (according to the calculator). I also don't know my ideal body weight so I am aiming for 150. I started at 229.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like the weight increases can be attributed to water retention from exercise, but if it's been three months bouncing around the same weight then you are likely to be eating at maintenance. Do you weight all your food with a food scale? Or do you use cups/spoons/estimates? Do you eat back exercise calories? If so, how do you measure those burns? Can you open your food diary?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Are you losing inches in the places you want to lose inches and gaining muscle in the places you want? That's what counts.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So it sounds like the weight increases can be attributed to water retention from exercise, but if it's been three months bouncing around the same weight then you are likely to be eating at maintenance. Do you weight all your food with a food scale? Or do you use cups/spoons/estimates? Do you eat back exercise calories? If so, how do you measure those burns? Can you open your food diary?
    This is what I was thinking too. OP's weight should decrease during the three months.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It isn't like I never workout...ive been staying steady for over a year. Some setbacks here and there... I lost about 20 in first year. Then bouncing up and down 10 lbs give or take for about 6 months. I upped my workouts once a month for past 3 months....and havent gone past my lowest weight. I don't know whats going on. Im healthy. Ive had tons of bloodtests etc. Periods normal (they thought i had pcos...i dont...)....

So it's been a year?

Then you are eating at or over maintenance

Either your food logging is off or your exercise calories estimate

I would imagine both

Open diary?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is your goal to be more fit or weigh less? The answer depends on what action you take.

Its probably water weight that your body is using to recover from the additional workouts.

Definitely weigh less. Ive never been able to know what my true goal weight is. I should compare myself to a Williams sister. Im definitely more of an athletc build. Im 5'7" - female - 206 pounds (now 213). According to everything this is obese. I dont know my body fat percentage but I guess it's around 25% (feel free to point me to the direction of a reliable body fat % calculator )...so I have no idea what my goal weight should be. I was personally aiming for 195.

No. Above 35%. Likely 40%. There's not a chance it's 25%.

You're probably eating back too many calories if the weight is "sticking" longer than a week. You think you're burning a TON more than you are, so you're eating way too much.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options

You're probably eating back too many calories if the weight is "sticking" longer than a week. You think you're burning a TON more than you are, so you're eating way too much.

No actually I am burning way more than I eat. How do you know what my fat % is? Man if you can do that over a computer without even taking my measurements you must be super psychic.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It isn't like I never workout...ive been staying steady for over a year. Some setbacks here and there... I lost about 20 in first year. Then bouncing up and down 10 lbs give or take for about 6 months. I upped my workouts once a month for past 3 months....and havent gone past my lowest weight. I don't know whats going on. Im healthy. Ive had tons of bloodtests etc. Periods normal (they thought i had pcos...i dont...)....

So it's been a year?

Then you are eating at or over maintenance

Either your food logging is off or your exercise calories estimate

I would imagine both

Open diary?
    Yes I have open diary I think. I havent logged consistently in a few weeks with birthdays and vacations. Im starting back today.

Its the same thing as always...I stop exercising excessively it goes back down...eating stays exactly the same.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

No actually I am burning way more than I eat.

If you're not losing weight, then no, in fact you're not.

If you open your diary we could look and see if there's potential logging issues that are giving you inaccurate calculations.

ETA: Your diary is open now. You're not logging consistently, so you have no idea what your true intake is.

Make a goal to meticulously weigh/measure and log every morsel you eat for the next two weeks. I predict you'll be surprised at how many calories you're actually consuming.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Glanced at your diary. Here's my advice:

Step 1: Log accurately and consistently for a month
    Step 2: come back and tell us how it goes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No actually I am burning way more than I eat. How do you know what my fat % is? Man if you can do that over a computer without even taking my measurements you must be super psychic.

You would be VERY muscular at 5ft7 and 206lbs and 25% fat... That's what MamaBird is saying.

How do you measure your calorie burn?
  • Rworthy
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Do you eat a lot more when you are working out?

Are you logging your workouts correctly?
    1) I opened my diary to public.
    2) im not logging exercises at all I use fitbit hr which tells me calories burned based on my heart rate. According to everything this is the most accurate way to measure cals in vs out
    3) I Do Not eat back exercise cals. I eat when Im hungry if I had a big workout
    4) I consistently eat at whats supposed to be a 1b/week deficit. 1725 calories. I burn on ave 2800 cals per day with light exercise and up tp 3200 with heavy exercise.
    5) I haven't been as diligent as I was a few months ago with logging regularly. I am trying that to see if anything changes. Throughout my life exercise never changed my weight no matter how much I work out or how little I eat. Diet has really been the only thing that made the scale move. This with only minimal exercise.
    6) Maybe I should just quit exercising or quit caring. I cant have both.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Here is a good guide to estimate your body fat percentage.

At 208lbs, it is nearly impossible to be 25% unless you are really, really tall. Mamabird wasn't being rude at all.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Do you eat a lot more when you are working out?

Are you logging your workouts correctly?
    1) I opened my diary to public.
    2) im not logging exercises at all I use fitbit hr which tells me calories burned based on my heart rate. According to everything this is the most accurate way to measure cals in vs out
    3) I Do Not eat back exercise cals. I eat when Im hungry if I had a big workout
    4) I consistently eat at whats supposed to be a 1b/week deficit. 1725 calories. I burn on ave 2800 cals per day with light exercise and up tp 3200 with heavy exercise.
    5) I haven't been as diligent as I was a few months ago with logging regularly. I am trying that to see if anything changes. Throughout my life exercise never changed my weight no matter how much I work out or how little I eat. Diet has really been the only thing that made the scale move. This with only minimal exercise.
    6) Maybe I should just quit exercising or quit caring. I cant have both.

Fitbits are notoriously inaccurate for some (maybe most?). I would guess this is your problem.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Expected stupid replies such as MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT!

Did not leave disappointed.

OP, you probably aren't being accurate with your logging and I would not trust a fitbit that CALCULATES calories burned. Always assume you burned less than what it says.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

No actually I am burning way more than I eat.

If you're not losing weight, then no, in fact you're not.

If you open your diary we could look and see if there's potential logging issues that are giving you inaccurate calculations.

ETA: Your diary is open now. You're not logging consistently, so you have no idea what your true intake is.

Make a goal to meticulously weigh/measure and log every morsel you eat for the next two weeks. I predict you'll be surprised at how many calories you're actually consuming.

+1. OP you have lots of incomplete or empty days in your log, and some of the stuff that is logged is take out, in which case the calories reported give you a rough idea, but will never be 100% accurate. Also, if you are getting your calorie burns from MFP, many people find they are a bit high.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    +1 : You're diary is open now. You're not logging consistently, so you have no idea what your true intake is.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    FYI...I HAVE been logging consistently for the past few months. This last few weeks has been hectic so yes I havent been. I had over 220 day streai before that. Nothing has changed. Workouts same. Food same. I jist havent logged in on mfp.

As for Fitbit being inaccurate. .is there proof of this? I used adidas mycoach chest strap and pedometer before i got fitbit...same results. So i dont think its crap. Anyway. .

Some of you have been very helpful. Ill just focus on that. I will log consistently for 2 weeks and check back in. Thank you.
  • Rworthy
    Options
    Expected stupid replies such as MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT!

Did not leave disappointed.

OP, you probably aren't being accurate with your logging and I would not trust a fitbit that CALCULATES calories burned. Always assume you burned less than what it says.

It doesnt calculate anything. It is heart rate monitor.