Avoiding Trigger Foods Versus Moderation

Options
Is it better to avoid trigger foods or just try to consume them in moderation. I realize it depends on the person, but I am really struggling with this issue. I successfully avoided my trigger foods for a couple months but have gone pretty off track lately. Would it be better just to try hard to cultivate self-control around certain foods so I can enjoy them in moderation?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    this is highly dependent on the individual. also, "moderation" means different things to different people. My definition of moderation tends to be a lot more stringent than the average MFP user...like if I say I consume full sugar soda in moderation...I mean like I have a soda once or twice per month or something...
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    this is highly dependent on the individual. also, "moderation" means different things to different people. My definition of moderation tends to be a lot more stringent than the average MFP user...like if I say I consume full sugar soda in moderation...I mean like I have a soda like once or twice per month...

Thanks for the reply. I'm just trying to figure things out. I don't want to deny myself a food only to binge crazily on it when it's presented to me. That's so true with what moderation means, too.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with cwolfman13's comments.

I had to cut way way back on any kind of baked goods/dessert type things when I first started out. As in, I allowed myself one serving per week. After I retrained myself to behave properly around such food, I was able to add them back a bit. But I still, to this day, try not to keep certain foods in the house because I find it very hard to stop eating them.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I think, if it's really a trigger, avoid it all together. Indulge in other things in moderation, but avoid trigger foods or you could end up back and square one.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've never really been one to have trigger foods. But if there's a bowl of food in front of me I tend to keep eating til it's gone whether it even tastes good or not. So I learned to pre-portion everything I eat, put away the bulk container and take my portion to where I'm going to eat. This works for me but it didn't happen overnight. There were some setbacks but once something like this becomes a behavior you'll likely find temptations much less tempting. What really helps me is having learned that eating a certain ratio of macros really makes me feel better and knowing how bad even a day or two of not meeting those goals affects me.
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. :smile: