Calories: Treadmill VS FitPal

Options
So, my treadmill says 200 cals burned and FitnessPal says 135 cals burned; 3.5mph 35min.

Which should I believe?
Which one would you believe, and why?

<3

Replies

• teetees40
    teetees40 Posts: 30
    Options
    I've been having the same issue - elliptical says one thing and MFP is always more. I go w/the lower one. Just my choice tho! :smile:
  • nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I usually take the lower number so that if I am truly burning more, the better weight loss I'll have.
  • mrsmontellano
    mrsmontellano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe my treadmill before MFP, only because the treadmill KNOWS exactly what you were doing (incline, speed, distance, etc). and MFP does not. It does not calculate cals burned at a higher incline rate. And if your treadmill asks for a weight, it more accurately measures cals burned.
  • QueenRox
    QueenRox Posts: 8
    Options
    If you have a HRM, go by it. MFP is always lower for some reason.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    does the treadmill you are on record your heartrate? and do you input age , wht . if it monitors heartrate i would go with it, if it does not, and no other info imput then its as much guess as fitnesspal
  • redmessenger
    redmessenger Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think My fit is more accurate. Your treadmill doesn't have your heght and weight programmed in it to calculate your calories burned. I prefer using a heart rate monitor to be accurate on the calories burned.
  • jpalmer7384
    jpalmer7384 Posts: 23
    Options
    I've been having the same issue - elliptical says one thing and MFP is always more. I go w/the lower one. Just my choice tho! :smile:

I do the same thing. For exercise I always take the lowest, and for food I take the highest if I can't find an exact match. I figure doing it that way is what is going to benefit me the most! :)
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think MFP calculates based on your current weight and the average that would be burned for that amount of activity for someone at that weight.
    All of the numbers are just an average, but unless the machine asks for your weight and measures your heart rate, I would say that neither is most accurate.
    Maybe take the average of the two?
  • delainedecker
    delainedecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm with Roxy, I use a HRM with calorie counter which is set for my body and I feel like it is pretty accurate. If you don't have one, then I would probably go with the lower reading just to be on the safe side.:happy:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I walked at a speed of 3.5 for about 30 min on a treadmill at a 15% incline and my HRM said I burned 300 calories... so I'd def. think about investing in one because both of those are off.