Stretch marks

Options
After loosing weight ive noticed i have a few stretch marks appearing on my hips. best creams/products to use to help fade them?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    once they're there, they're there. Time will fade them just like scars. creams are most helpful before they show up, to improve elasticity before it tears. But....really....it's mostly genetics. self tanner helps blur them, note "real" tanning can make them more visible as the stretch mark is more sensitive to sunlight just like a scar!
  • LC932017
    LC932017 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Cocoa butter and bio oil. Only downside you have to be religious with applying it like 5 times a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Topicals only camouflage them. Stretch marks are actually scars and you'll never get rid of them. They can fade a little over time though. IMO, they are just part of the weight loss process. You'll rarely find anyone who lost a good amount of weight not having some stretch marks somewhere on their body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money on creams. Once you've got stretch marks they are there for good. They fade over time (thank god) and you'll hardly notice them.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MASSAGE is the best way to get rid of them. 5-10 minutes everyday. I use coconut or birch oil (or just any natural lotion works). However, it is not the lotion or oils that help, it is the massage. That gets the blood circulation going. This works for scars, and acne too....
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can totally get rid of them...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Time.
  • kimberlybruner615
    kimberlybruner615 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bic2pjoro0yz.jpg
    I swear by this !
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people don't get them, but most do. I have a friend who had two kids and nary a mark on her. So jealous of her.

The creams are a scam. They cannot get rid of the marks. The people who sell them want money and are lying to you so that you'll give them your money.

Given time, they turn from red or purple to whitish and back to skin color, but they don't disappear.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do they go back to skin colour, really? Mine have been white for years...

A note on self-tanning. It's a massive pain in the rear. You have a day or two of decent colour, if you applied it correctly , which is no mean feat (dyes your hands without gloves, goes streaky with gloves, can't sit while it dries). It stinks for the days it's actually on. Also, it goes patchy after swimming (and really, other than for going to a beach or pool, why would you bother with it?). I only tried it once and I'm still traumatized
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jadowns wrote: »
    MASSAGE is the best way to get rid of them. 5-10 minutes everyday. I use coconut or birch oil (or just any natural lotion works). However, it is not the lotion or oils that help, it is the massage. That gets the blood circulation going. This works for scars, and acne too....

No it doesn't, because stretch marks are like scars that are way deep in the skin. You can't reach them with massage. (Which also doesn't work for acne or other scars...) And anyway the damage is done - those tissues have already been fiddled with.

Creams and massage can make the very surface of your skin look good temporarily, i.e. while the cream is on your skin. I think the massage might help a bit with circulation, but only a bit, and it doesn't help the skin in a permanent way (or any way really)