What's your favorite weight loss book?

Options
Do you have a weight loss book that helped you? What did you like best about it?

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of books. Usually just a person trying to make money by making what is really very easy to understand, vastly more complicated. Eat a well balanced diet, consuming fewer calories than your body uses, and you win. For free.
  • phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know authors want to make money, that doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean that some books aren't helpful. And yes calories in vs calories out is a simple rule to follow, but what about the psychological and motivational support that many people need to even care about the calories?
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Not a fan of books. Usually just a person trying to make money by making what is really very easy to understand, vastly more complicated. Eat a well balanced diet, consuming fewer calories than your body uses, and you win. For free.

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Jamie's Comfort Food! So many yumdelicious recipes. Plus he gives calorie counts for everything so even if I make rough variations, I at least have a guiding point for when I'm planning my day.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules of Lifting for Women, it really opened my eyes to strength training and made it my new passion.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Cameron Diaz's Body Book and Linda Page's Healthy Healing. Now, I am a total Yogi. I hate counting calories, and diets of any kind.. (besides the kind that are rich in nutrition) .. However, my overeating got way out of control. So now I use (this website) and these book as a resource for everything. Everything from meal plans to supportive supplements, and from exercise routines to aromatherapy (and other woo-woo therapies) .... I love 'em!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Chris powells choose more lose more for life. It helped me alot with portions, learning how to calorie count, it is a carb cycling and calorie cycling program which has exercises in the book. It is very eady to do and understand and so far lose 25 lbs!
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman has numerous books on healthy eating.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    We have a Mark Hyman book and a Chris Powell book. I've read the Hyman one, I think it's called the Blood Sugar Solution. It wasn't bad. I haven't read the Powell book. But I get all the support I need from the people on this site.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My daughter found a cookbook for me that is simply wonderful! Great recipes, complete nutritional information. "You Can Trust a Skinny Cook" by Allison Fishman. Also, even though I don't have Celiac disease, I have a friend that does, and found a really great gluten-free cookbook. "101 Best Gluten-Free Foods". It doesn't name an author, but is published by Publications International, Ltd. in Lincolnwood, IL.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just recommended Diet Cults to someone on a different thread. Super helpful book.
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This isn't what others are suggesting. It's not an instructional book or an advice book or a cookbook - it's the story of a woman trying to lose weight, and all of the real-life struggles that go with it. "Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her *kitten* Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer" by Jen Lancaster. Highly recommend!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    General biology textbook. Read bits on Anatomy & Physiology, Metabolism and digestion.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Joe Manganiello's book "Evolution." Though it's more of a training book than a diet book.