Wheat Free Ideas

Options
hi all

I've recently been told I have a wheat allergy and I am struggling with ideas for all meals as I am getting fed up pretty quickly of eating the same things over and over again.

Replies

• adnerbharley
    adnerbharley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mexican with corn chips and corn tortillas is a nice go to. Also you have Asian with it's rice based dishes lettuce wraps or broth based soups. Thai has some yummy rice noodle dishes like pad Thai and pad see ew. Obviously salads are a good bet and good old meat and potato/veggie dishes are a safe bet. You can buy gluten free corn dogs and taquitos for a quick lunch. You can make awesome easy oat muffins/pancakes/waffles in your blender with just 3 cups oats 3 bananas 3 eggs 3 tsp baking powder and about a cup of water. Add any extras like nuts, berries, chocolate chips, cinnamon etc. also blending 1cup cashews and 2-3 cups water(depending on how thick you want it) makes a great base for chowders or gravy it thickens naturally when you cook it. I understand how hard it is to think up gluten free ideas, good luck if all else fails try Pinterest
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My family was wheat free for a while when we thought my brother had a gluten problem. I highly recommend looking into the wheat belly diet book and cookbook if you haven't already. Just google it and tons of recipes and information is available for free online. You don't even have to buy the book

Good luck!
  • samanthac2328
    samanthac2328 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat allergy as well and I'm ok with spelt products. It tastes exactly like wheat, and spelt flour acts like wheat flour so you can make bread etc. As far as recipes go, I make everything I used to make, just wheatless :D But, if you do decide to try it, please try smaller quantities first, just in case it doesn't agree with you. Hope this helps.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    We buy wheat free soy sauce. If you want pizza, you can buy it in the frozen sections of grocery stores (usually made from rice flour). It definitely does not taste the same and it is more expensive.
    Or you could make your own pizza with various ingredients for crust like cauliflower.
    I would probably make small changes --- like use rice or potatoes instead of pasta.
    Rice Chex is gluten free. Lara bars are gluten free as are other snack/protein bars.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am intollerant to all grains (including rice and corn). You can find a chunk of my meals here: Counting Cal's Cuisine for inspiration.
  • kenkoger7
    kenkoger7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely read Wheat Belly. There is also a recipe book and plenty of free info and recipes on the websitewheatbellyblog.com

• klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i have celiac's disease and have been eating gluten free for about 3 years now. It is very daunting at first, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to make food. Just remember that meats and veg aren't a problem. You just have to look for substitutes when it comes to breads/flours and certain prepared or preserved parts of meals.

There are dozens of gluten free focused websites with very easy recipes (gluten free on a shoestring, gluten free goddess, etc). But don't be afraid to just make the same food you've always made and substitute. Make a burger without a bun (or use a lettuce wrap - or, just buy GF bread from brand's like Udi's or Schar).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You might also look at low carb or Paleo websites for inspiration. Since wheat is high in carbs most of the cooking done for those who follow those lifestyles are wheat-free.