Light-headed, fainting feeling when standing?

Options
RCKT82
RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
After my long runs in the mornings, I always get light-headed, the room darkens a little, and I feel like I'm going to pass out after standing up from a seated position. I always assumed it was because I'm dehydrated.

I always drink plenty of fluids a couple hours before my run and make sure to sip on water during and chug after my run. As soon as I get home I'll have some juice or drink Coconut milk (it has twice the amount of potassium as a banana and has a lot of electrolytes). I also drink my protein shake immediately after I get home. I'll usually eat a high carb meal about an hour after the run to replenish my glycogen debt. I continue drinking fluids throughout the day... But even after all of the fluids and food I consume, I still get light-headed after standing up and I'll continue to feel this up to 8 hours. Surely my body should have been able to recover with the fluid and food intake within 8 hours... no?

Anyone else have similar problems? Or could this be a sign of something else I need to speak to my doc about?

Replies

• grulz
    grulz Posts: 15
    Options
    I get this as well, but pretty much all the time although i find it worsens if I'm in a particularly hard week of training. I have fainted a twice from it and often my vision goes black and i have to hold on to something . I have been to the doctor about it but he said its just extreme low blood pressure and since I'm an athlete that its not a health problem and not to worry about it but just make sure i keep enough salt in my diet. hope that helps!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Do you have low blood pressure? Or low blood sugar? I would try eating something an hour or more before your run, like a banana with just a small amt of pnut butter and see if that helps. I have to eat before working out or I feel faint.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. (just a lame old science teacher), but it sounds like Orthostatic Hypotension.

Definitely see a Dr.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec03/ch023/ch023c.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/orthostatic_hypotension/article.htm

Good Luck, let me know how it goes!
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not knowing your medical history, why not be safe than sorry? Can't hurt to get it checked, even if it turns out to be nothing.
  • smilegirl
    smilegirl Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood pressure tested recently? Sounds a lot like it could be orthostatic hypotension to me. Also wondering if you eat anything prior to the long run?? I know if I go over eight miles without food before, I feel lightheaded afterwards.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    See a doctor!

I get that no one likes to go to the dr due to cost, fear and whatever. Something like this varies for everyone and why assume? It could be nothing and it could be something.

Example: I have it happen and it's due to Vertigo with MS. My father experienced it and it was due to his Diabetes caused heart issues...he died within months.

Not trying to scare you but I hope you can see how it varies with each person along with the seriousness of each issue. Please talk to your doctor to be safe.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    Do you eat anything before / during the run? What do you eat the night before?
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the websites Ally! I'll definitely check them out.

I don't eat anything solid before my run... I'll usually have a protein shake and some pb2 and pop a potassium supplement about an hour before. The night before it's usually my regular diet. I always have a protein shake right before bed.

My blood pressure was normal the last time I had it checked about 3 weeks ago... it was 120/74...

I'll definitely have a talk with my Dr now after your responses... thanks everyone
  • vampymegs
    vampymegs Posts: 39
    Options
    certainly sounds like ortho hypo tension, you really may want to think about making an appointment with your dr, having this tracked. Low blood pressure can be tough to manage. Getting high BP to come down is sometime more managable ...

Good luck to you ... don't let it go too long with out getting it checked:) (oh please and thank you ... didn't want to sound like ... over bearing mom type)