Is it REALLY necessary to count calories?

Options
It is very helpful to see the calorie, fat, carb, sodium, protein consumption. Should it be my goal to ALWAYS stay within the "green" zone and not go over the recommendations? Which measure is the MOST IMPORTANT or are they all important? Is it really even necessary to log my food every single day in order to lose weight?

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    As soon as you stop logging you start forgetting. Ultimately, it's up to you.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you think you can do it without logging, then go ahead, lots of people manage it.

I initally logged for weight loss, now I mainly log to track my macro's.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to SUGAR.

I consume wayy more fat than recommended, but that is what helps me stay within my calorie goal (1200/day)...
    So I don't pay as much attention to that.

However, I have not lost any weight. Just waiting for that to happen....
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to calories (1200/day). So far have lost 10 pounds in two months. Another 10 to go.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The biggest part of getting people to record their food is so that they'll see how much they're eating and can make adjustments.

Some people like it; some don't. It isn't necessary, but helps a lot of people.

It seems like there is a lot of Calorie Counting Rebellion on the boards today, lol. Maybe everyone overate on the holiday and is looking into weight loss. I don't know.

You're not alone, though!
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Not everyone counts. As long as you stay in a calorie deficit you'll lose. The problem is, a lot of people don't know exactly what their body intake is. That's where the counting helps. I only really pay close attention to Protein, Carbs, and Fat. Sure the others make a difference. But I wouldn't get too wrapped up in them. One could drive themselves insane trying to get exactly every single macro and micro nutrient. Do the best you can. That' all you can do.

This.
  • helenngp
    helenngp Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It is better to watch the calories if you want to maintain or lose weight. Joined in 2013 and lost about 10kg in 9 months, from 75kg to 65kg. I didn't realise I can consume about more than 3000++ calories cos' I love sweet stuffs. After 2years without counting calories, I put on extra 5kg. Started counting calories again this April, I lost about 2.5kg in 2 months. I tried to keep calories about 1400 to 2400(max).
  • hiachoag
    hiachoag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful comments. Think I had better do the extra work and plan my meals. I lost 15 lbs on Nutrisystem diet which I did for 4 months. But then I realized the trick is to log my food intake to make sure I do't over my 1200 calorie limit. I decided I don't need pre-packaged foods from Nutrisystem when I could easily buy similar foods at the grocery store for a lot less. The only thing the diet really did was it forced me to get in the habit of logging my food intake so that I don't go over my calorie limit. I could be wrong about my assumptions but I am putting my plan into action anyway. At some point I imagine I won't be needing to count once I get to know what I am eating. I really hope I'm not wrong about this.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Short answer: I don't like paying my taxes, either, but it has to be done, right?