Water

Options
Does anyone have some good tips for drinking all 8 glasses of water? I usually can only get about 6 glasses a day. Its so hard for me to do the other 2 =( Not because I don't like the taste or don't like water....I'm just not that thirsty. Plus I get busy and forget. Oh! and I can not drink water after a certain time at night or I'll be in the bathroom when I'd rather be sleeping.

Replies

• slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This tip was given to me 20 years ago and it works for me. Everytime you use the bathroom, drink water. Also drink a glass prior to each meal. Good Luck!
  • ssv45
    ssv45 Posts: 3
    Options
    I keep a small glass by the sink in the kitchen. Every time I walk by, I fill it up and drink it down. Works for me.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I found a 56 oz waterbottle at Target. I fill it up and try to finish it before I'm home from work. Then, I drink 1-2 glasses with each meal, and 1 in the morning with my pills! :)
  • Acidbelgium
    Options
    What I do is if I'm sitting somewhere I'll always have a glass of water sitting next to me. Every time I sit a glass of water next to me I add it to my diary. It makes me feel like I'm obliged to drink it since I already put it in. It's mental trickery but it seems to work.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Try a straw, makes drinking 'faster' and more 'mindless' so you drink more without realizing it.

Try a fun bottle. I adore my 20oz bottle with a bright pink lid (it doubles as a shaker for my protein drinks too!).

Like slick fox said, when I feel the need to go to the bathroom, I down 8oz before I visit the toilet.

Try setting a watch reminder (or phone) to drink water every 45 min or 1 hr. It will remind you to finish your cup or refill and start a new one!

Keep at it. It was tough for me at first, and now I get in 12 glasses a day easy. I push for 100oz plus every day :smile:
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found a 16oz water bottle at REI that I keep with me every where I go. I only have to empty it 4 times a day, and find that I easily do that by dinner time. I also make sure that every time it's empty and I'm up and about, I top it off. It's worked wonders since I quit drinking coke!
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    Try a straw, makes drinking 'faster' and more 'mindless' so you drink more without realizing it.

Try a fun bottle. I adore my 20oz bottle with a bright pink lid (it doubles as a shaker for my protein drinks too!).

Like slick fox said, when I feel the need to go to the bathroom, I down 8oz before I visit the toilet.

Try setting a watch reminder (or phone) to drink water every 45 min or 1 hr. It will remind you to finish your cup or refill and start a new one!

Keep at it. It was tough for me at first, and now I get in 12 glasses a day easy. I push for 100oz plus every day :smile:

I do the straw thing and a 32oz water bottle of water on my desk so I drink 3-4 of those during the day. I have also cut out all other fluids which I know can be hard. I completely agree with the larger bottle trick that way it doesn't feel like 8-10 glasses just one bottle for the day.
  • richardzaccone
    richardzaccone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I posted a couple of weeks ago:
    "I am a recent member of myfitnesspal.com and appreciate and use this service every day. I tried drinking 8 glasses of water a day and found it very difficult to achieve. Cynicism comes naturally to me and I started asking people about this practice; no one could validate the advice and or the logic of this concept.
    I googled 8x8 and found an article regarding a Dartmouth Medical school professor: Heinz Valtin, MD.
    His reseach concluded that drinking 8 glasses of 8 ounces water for health of dietary reasons could not be validated. Also, and more importantly he feels that fluids from juices, carbonated drinks including those with alcohol content should be inlcuded in a daily regimen report.
    Should myfitnesspal.com put an asterisk next to the Glasses icon? I think so, ".
    Google Dr. Heinz Valtin, MD. and you wil be able to download the entire article. It is wordy but worthwhile reading.

My personal conclusion is that if you are thirsty drink water.
  • Weavertracker
    Options
    I drink 1.5 cups of coffee, then a cup of milk for breakfast. Mid-morning I drink a cup of orange juice. I have water and/or tomato juice for lunch. Dinner another glass of milk and may be water. Followed by a cup of tea and/or milk for evening snack. I am up to six glasses of liquid and then I have those two cups of water listed as well as I often have a glass of water in the morning, and afternoon. My dietician says milk, coffee, and juice are water when you are counting how much water you consume.
  • godsowngoddess
    Options
    wow! these are some fantastic tips! I'm going to have to implement some of these... :)
  • sandyb45
    sandyb45 Posts: 1
    Options
    I fill a 4 c. water bottle & finish it while doing my hair & makeup in the morning. Then I have breakfast. I fill it again & make sure I drink 2 cups before lunch & another 2 cups before dinner.
  • autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    I cut out my juice in the morning and substituted water and bought one of the larger cute water bottles and carry it with me so that i know im getting to my limit and i keep water near me at all times.
  • mrsmofink
    mrsmofink Posts: 6
    Options
    I use water flavor additives like Crystal Light or MIO. They have no calories and they taste very good. I agree with drink from a big cup or water bottle.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I always have a water bottle with me (32oz) and if it gets boring, I put lemon slices in it. I just make sure that I fill the bottle twice a day, but most days I drink at least 3 bottles.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I posted a couple of weeks ago:
    "I am a recent member of myfitnesspal.com and appreciate and use this service every day. I tried drinking 8 glasses of water a day and found it very difficult to achieve. Cynicism comes naturally to me and I started asking people about this practice; no one could validate the advice and or the logic of this concept.
    I googled 8x8 and found an article regarding a Dartmouth Medical school professor: Heinz Valtin, MD.
    His reseach concluded that drinking 8 glasses of 8 ounces water for health of dietary reasons could not be validated. Also, and more importantly he feels that fluids from juices, carbonated drinks including those with alcohol content should be inlcuded in a daily regimen report.
    Should myfitnesspal.com put an asterisk next to the Glasses icon? I think so, ".
    Google Dr. Heinz Valtin, MD. and you wil be able to download the entire article. It is wordy but worthwhile reading.

My personal conclusion is that if you are thirsty drink water.

The point to drinking at least 8 glasses of water each day is to keep the metabolism working, cleansing your system, and staying hydrated. I have also found that drinking ICE cold water during a workout session increases the number of calories I burn. I am not a scientist or doctor but there are plenty of studies out there that back up the drinking water will help you lose weight. Hope you find what you are looking for.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I bring a gallon of water to work and make it a point to drink the whole thing before I leave for the day...it's only 1:30pm and I drank the whole thing already! At home, I drink as normal....
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    It may be trouble for some but I carry a gallon of water with me everywhere finish it on a day and you completed your water. It works for me because I never would track my water. Now as long as its empty I know where it all went.:)
  • cammons
    cammons Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    In general I drink way, way, way more water than the recommended eight glasses a day, but I've always had a large bottle with me so that could be part of it. (My family was big on carrying water bottles fifteen years ago....long before it was a popular or eco-friendly thing to do...you could say I was trained well.)

If I'm really feeling wild and crazy I have been known to add tea bags (Lemon Zinger is my favorite) to my 1L bottle of water. Most any tea flavor will work but the citrus or berry ones are my favorite. Each bag is good for at least one or two refills.

While I was in Sweden this winter I noticed that it was common (at the restaurants I visited) to have pitchers of water with various things floating in them. One pitcher would have some frozen mixed berries (the kind that fall apart as they thaw), one had cucumber slices, and one had orange slices...they had only a slight hint of flavor but were very colorful which made it fun! I don't know if this is a common Swedish thing or I just got lucky but it was a ton of fun.
  • michelle1980m
    Options
    I have a 35.5 ounce bottle with a straw and it goes down so easy. I can drink up to 200 ounces a day sometimes.
  • AndreaWard
    AndreaWard Posts: 33
    Options
    Straw, straw, straw! That is all I have to say :) My water bottle is 24 oz. with a straw. I will never buy another water bottle without a straw again. I flavor my water with lemon because plain water is, well plain. My husband has a twist off cap for his bottle and I cannot stand it. Its too much effort and when I want to drink something, I want it now, not 5 seconds from now when I get the cap off. I know that probably sounds lazy but if I must drink all this water a day then I want to do it without thinking about it or messing around with it.

Good luck to you