Calories vs fat

Options
Ok, so I know that 1000 calories from donuts is different from 1000 calories of chicken because I will feel hungry after the donuts quicker than I will from chicken. But my question is that I exceeded the goal amount of fat, saturated fat, mono and poly unsaturated fat but yet I'm still under my calorie goal for the day. Is that bad or am I still free to eat because I haven't ate all my calories?? And I'm trying to shred my abs fyi

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Ya, I go over my fat grams just about every day but because I am still eating at a calorie deficit am consistently losing weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's odd. I'd feel hungrier after the chicken. The fat in the donuts keeps me full.

Fat is good for you. Calorie goal first and foremost for weight loss, macros/micros for health and body composition. Many people set their own macros goals. MFPs suggestion is just a suggestion.
  • RaynardThomas
    RaynardThomas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I just wanna lose fat around midsection
  • RaynardThomas
    Options
    And I feel hungrier due to the protein
  • RaynardThomas
    Options
    I mean not hungrier
  • cwilso37
    cwilso37 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A calorie is just a unit of measure so 1000 calories of chicken is the same as 1000 calories of doughnuts. Same as saying a pound of nails is the same as a pound of feathers. Nutritionally they are vastly different though, so eat which ever makes you feel fuller.

You can't spot reduce. You not just aim to lose weight around your middle like you want to. It is all or nothing so just eat in a deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know that 1000 calories from donuts is different from 1000 calories of chicken because I will feel hungry after the donuts quicker than I will from chicken. But my question is that I exceeded the goal amount of fat, saturated fat, mono and poly unsaturated fat but yet I'm still under my calorie goal for the day. Is that bad or am I still free to eat because I haven't ate all my calories?? And I'm trying to shred my abs fyi

actually, if you think that you really don't know.

1000 calories of donuts = 1000 calories of chicken from an energy standpoint. However, they are not nutritionally the same.

There is nothing wrong with fat….

you should eat to the number that MFP gives you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you can't spot reduce. Fat comes off from where it wants.
  • RaynardThomas
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

actually, if you think that you really don't know.

1000 calories of donuts = 1000 calories of chicken from an energy standpoint. However, they are not nutritionally the same.

There is nothing wrong with fat….

you should eat to the number that MFP gives you.

Yeah I meant nutritionally cause the grilled chicken has more protein this you will feel more fuller vs all the sugar and less nutrients in the donuts. At least that's what a personal trainer told me, not my words.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Protein can make you feel full, but the same is true of fat. At least for me anyway.

Also, fat = calories (9 calories per gram).

But no, going over on fat, while staying under your calories won't slow your loss down.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're right Raynard. Protein is known to make you feel full for longer periods than carbs.
    And to answer your question, yes. Follow the calories. If you still have some, eat up.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

1. Sorry to tell you, but that will be the last to improve. Ever see anyone have a flat stomach and fat arms/legs?

2. Fat does not make you fat. Neither do protein or carbohydrates.

3. Fat satiates best, because, per gram, it has [about] twice the energy. Therefore, it takes the body [about]twice as long to digest it if it digests at an equivalent rate. That is not to say you will last 2.25 times longer without eating as when you eat carbs or protein, but almost. Sometimes, I exceed that. Just depends on total ratios of the food, as well as physical state.
  • RaynardThomas
    Options
    Thanks for the info all.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Depends.........what are your macros (protein, fat, carbs) set at? Some people eat higher fat on purpose and they still lose weight. But, the most important macro for me is protein (my choice)..... if you are under calories chances are you haven't met this goal yet.

Protein, fat and fiber are all filling....but they serve different purposes for your body. It's not just about "feeling full."

"Shredding your abs" will come from very low body fat. You just need to lose enough weight.