potassium, sugar, and fruit...

Options
I've been logging everything for a few days and it is evident that I am NOT getting enough key nutrients such as potassium and vitamin C. However, if I eat a lot of fruit, I go over my sugar limit. I have not been under it yet! I'm adding veggies. Any advice?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I've been logging everything for a few days and it is evident that I am NOT getting enough key nutrients such as potassium and vitamin C. However, if I eat a lot of fruit, I go over my sugar limit. I have not been under it yet! I'm adding veggies. Any advice?

I supplement. I take vitamin C to bowel tolerance, which for me is almost 4 grams when I'm healthy and more if I'm challenged.

• SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi,

very often people have put in the calorie amount for a foods, however figures for potassium, vitamins etc. is not given as they did not know them, therefore don't believe the figures of some of the key nutriens.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most of the items in the data base have incomplete information. Check the USDA web site for trustworthy data. Brussels sprouts contain both potassium and vit C.
  • rubyandmani
    rubyandmani Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    drink a cup of green tea for vit c.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    And unless you're diabetic, going over on sugar isn't going to hurt you. If you're also going over on calories, you won't lose weight as fast, but otherwise, it's not a big deal.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Hi,

very often people have put in the calorie amount for a foods, however figures for potassium, vitamins etc. is not given as they did not know them, therefore don't believe the figures of some of the key nutriens.

This is very true for myfitnesspal. It's frustrating to log all your food and realize vitamins and minerals are wrong.

Getting enough potassium from foods does take some planning--it's definitely not as easy as a banana a day.

One food that is high in both potassium and vit. C without being loaded with sugar is yams (or sweet potatoes). Another option would be a baked potato (with skin)--high in both potassium and C. Another food high in A, C, and potassium is Pak Choi (cabbage). Also winter and summer squashes (acorn is winter, zucchini is summer), pumpkins (or canned pumpkin), and finally, some beans (like kidney beans) have a moderate amount without a lot of sugar. For a lot of vitamins and minerals without a lot of calories, leafy greens do the trick: kale, spinach, mustard greens.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Unless you have a medical condition that makes you have a limit for sugar, don't worry about it. Honestly, vegetables are the best source for many of the key nutrients you are looking for. Green leafy vegetables, colorful vegetables, et cetera are going to help you a long way toward those goals. And there is no shame in taking vitamin supplements to get those nutrients. Just look for one with 'USP' on the label. Those have been certified, so you know your body will actually absorb the nutrients in them.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    4189 mg potassium yesterday
    lots of veggies, spices, herbs and fruit plus some potatoes did the job :)
  • 1muzicalmom
    1muzicalmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is great advice! Thank you, all! I can't wait to go shopping for some of these. My calorie "limit" for the day is initially 1200 due to my height, age, etc. It's really hard getting everything in. I try to add extra calories for all the walking I'm doing, but it's not a lot to work with.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    well your calories are most important for weight loss.
    I did for months and months 1200 calories ( up now to 1400)
    But i dont use salt ( medical issue) and i must be careful with sugar. But i eat it all, everything. Except adding salt.
    so with a lot of vegetables and fruit and herbs and potatoes i hit regular above the 3500 mg potassium a day.

So when you dont have medical issues...watch your calories first :) After that macro's and tweak when you want or can during the day.