Tofu?!

Options
Bad or good? And healthy, yummy recipes :o

Replies

• Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've made this and it's fab - I put some Sheese on it for a bit more yum. Not many ingredients either :)http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1415655/tofu-and-spinach-cannelloni
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Stop labeling foods good and bad, healthy and unhealthy. Everything is good or bad, healthy or unhealthy in abundance.

Eat your tofu.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine.

My big tip; pick the right firmness of tofu for the recipe. I like extra firm in my stir fry. I cut it up julienne style with carrots and green vegetables, in a hot peanut sauce.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Invest in a tofu press and remember tofu doesn't taste of anything so it's all to do with the flavours you add. Also you can make great puddings with it
  • reyes_angelav
    reyes_angelav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmm tofu press...Ima Google that
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat Tofu about 2 times a week and haven't had any issues at all with it. I've read a lot and good things about it. As long as I like it and don't have any problems with it I'll go with it being good for me and continue to eat it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any unhealthy things in tofu

As far as eating it. Yuck. It is in the soup I get at the Chinese restaurant.

Still meh.
  • DietitianWriter
    DietitianWriter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tofu is a low-calorie, high-protein food, which will satisfy you longer than high-fat foods. It has 10g of protein (per 1/2 cup) and is a great source of calcium. Just a half of a cup accounts for 43 percent of the average daily calcium intake!

Quick Recipe Idea: Firm tofu is great for marinating. Toss 2 oz of cubed tofu in 2 TBSP of teriyaki and 1/4 tsp pepper, then bake it for 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees. Mix it with your favorite veggies—like bean sprouts, cabbage and carrots—and roll it in a La Tortilla Factory 100-calorie tortilla for a delicious meal that's under 300 calories.
  • lorengetsfit
    lorengetsfit Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not very experienced with tofu, but I have a friend who went through a tofu phase and she told me that it takes on the flavor of whatever you season/marinade it with. I tried it and couldn't get over the texture. I had firm tofu and it was mushy, in my opinion.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When it was fresh from the grocery store, I used to put it between two slices of bread with a little mustard. It had almost no taste.
    One way to change the texture is to put in the the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge. I achieves a crumbly texture.
    Some people use it as one would ground beef in a recipe.
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Tofu-Chili-Black-Beans-Recipe-2010-10-27-055002-11638822
    80o9jdawx9t5.jpg

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love tofu. i need to start buying more as it's an easier protein source than meat, as I don't have to cook it and can just take it anywhere and munch on it.

People get weirded out when I'm like at say, Moe's, and get a tofu burrito and ask for bacon on it. I'm like, can't a guy just like tofu?

Though I will say, the Chipotle "sofritas" tofu tastes too much like the other meats. Which is a big plus for those who are a big fan of the way their meat is but I want my soft cubes dang it!
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can also press tofu in some clean paper towels, then cube it, mist with EVOO, add salt and pepper and bake it in the oven for 15 mins turning once (at like, 350 degrees or something, YMMV) and get delicious chewy cubes to add to stir fries or even eat plain.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I use it in stir fries - cheaper than meat and adds protein. I use firm tofu, squeeze out the water and marinade in some soy sauce, lime juice, ginger and chilli. Then just add to the usual stir fry vegies - capsicum, baby corn, broccoli, Bok choy etc.

Silken tofu is great in soups and to mash into burger patties instead of meat.
  • Idaharris
    Idaharris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can buy preseasoned baked tofu that is non GMO. That stuff is awesome! I like to eat the squares cold as snacks.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use the softer versions of tofu? Some people describe it as different from the firm.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have put silken Tofu with pumkin puree and pumkin pie spice, it was not bad, don't like the firm, I really tried
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I adore tofu now that I know how to cook it. I like it with a marinade of hoisin, soy, red pepper flake, and sugar. Or with mushrooms and cabbage in homemade dumplings.

Best place I find it is international markets, you'll have the most options and probably even a bulk deal (dropping it to $0.76/lb in my area). Definitely think the texture improves when you freeze, thaw then press. Cooking over high heat will also make it firmer.

And a sneaky dessert recipe containing silken tofu: http://altonbrown.com/moo-less-chocolate-pie-recipe/
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Does anyone use the softer versions of tofu? Some people describe it as different from the firm.

I do, I use the silken firm shelf stable stuff all the time. it has the consistency of scrambled eggs when cooked. the silken-soft stuff is like a creamy pudding.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/02/weeknight-black-bean-chili/

I made this recipe a few weeks ago with cubed firm tofu instead of the ground turkey...it was delicious! Even my meat-eating husband liked it (he didn't rave, but he has a mental block about tofu. He loved it before I told him it was tofu...).