Filling Foods/Recipes? (Simple, 300-400 cal)

Options
initialsdeebee
initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
Hi, all: Some time ago I read a similar post, but looking for more ideas.

I've always tended to have a big appetite and can really pack it away, which is part of the reason I'm here. Looking for more ideas for, filling foods/meals between 300-400 calories. My recent rotation includes baked sweet potatoes topped with various and sundry, spaghetti squash with tomato, maybe veggies and a bit of cheese, and lean cuts of chicken (which have not been on my radar in the past since I have tended to focus on veggies, though my approach to meat has been shifting). Anyway, what's your fave when you want to feel full on 300-400? I love to cook, but don't often have a lot of time, so simple is good.

Replies

• orangevalkyrie
    orangevalkyrie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Add 15 grams of psyllium husk to water and drink before eating anything 300 calories and you will be full. Also, I eat powdered baking chocolate as a snack in between meals.
  • orangevalkyrie
    orangevalkyrie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also my favorite filling meal is 3oz pork loin, 1 small avocado, and 3 Tbsp of pico de gallo. 280 calories. Upping your protein macros will help you feel fuller. Mines at 35%.
  • csedore03
    csedore03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat/grain pasta, chicken breast, tomato sauce and top with fat free cheese. You can add vegetables to it too.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I made a "breakfast sandwich" frittata yesterday, fills me up well for breakfast. Here's what I did:
    • 2 large eggs
    • 250g egg whites (about 1 cup I think)
    • 64g turkey sausage, for me this was just slicing up two cooked sausages we had in the fridge
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • pepper to taste
    • 30g cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven on low broil setting. Whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper, and spray a frying pan with oil spray (I used a cast iron, I'm not sure how much it would stick in another kind of pan). Get the pan warm and turn down to low heat. Pour in the eggs and sprinkle the sliced turkey sausage across the top. Cook, covered, until it's almost done, just a bit runny in the middle and across the top (google how to cook a frittata if this is confusing). Sprinkle the cheese across the top and place in the oven for about 3-4 minutes with the door cracked. Watch it closely - once it has puffed up across the whole top and is starting to brown, it's done. Transfer to plate and slice into 4 servings.

Came out to about 140 cal per serving. Put it on an English muffin for a fast and easy breakfast at about 270 cal and 20g protein. You can store leftovers for about a week.
  • niduran1961
    niduran1961 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Check out FullPlateDiet.com. One of the things they suggest is eating an apple or pear right before every meal. When I remember to do that, it does help me get full faster. Their thing is to fill up as much of the plate with high fiber foods as possible, so it sounds like you're already moving in that direction. Soup of course is great--though it's not exactly the right weather for it right now. And water!
  • amberrose740
    amberrose740 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I sip on tea. I have a million flavours,this occupies that boredom snacking and the liquid volume before or after meals helps to make you feel fuller.
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Here's what we had tonight:
    300g boneless skinless chicken breast, 100g onion, 200g bell pepper, 14.5oz canned diced tomatoes. Season as you like and cook all the veggies down until almost all the water is gone. Served with 42g (weight dry) brown rice. It's crazy filling with lots of fiber. Technically the recipe is supposed to serve 3 but we usually just split it in half.

You can make some substitutions too. Like using brown rice instead of white, wheat instead of white bread. Whole fruits instead of juices. I add fiber to my breakfast every morning.

I get a lot of my recipes from cookinglight.com and weight watchers books. But you can google "healthy meals" and get a lot of interesting stuff.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In a heavy, ovenproof pot with a lid:
    On top of stove on medium heat: 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, 1 onion, chopped, i head of purple cabbage, chopped, 1 small head of cauliflower (or broccoli), chopped, 3 large carrots, chopped, several cloves of garlic-minced, thyme, salt, pepper, splash or three of balsamic vinegar, and water to cover. simmer on stove top until reduced enough to get lid on. Cover and put in 300 oven for 90 mins. Serve with a big salad, and whole grain of your choice. This is really yummy and you will have delicious leftovers. Veggies can be varied (parsnips, rutabaga are delicious additions, even a chopped apple!).
  • initialsdeebee
    Options
    In a heavy, ovenproof pot with a lid:
    On top of stove on medium heat: 6 boneless, skinless, chicken breast halves, 1 onion, chopped, i head of purple cabbage, chopped, 1 small head of cauliflower (or broccoli), chopped, 3 large carrots, chopped, several cloves of garlic-minced, thyme, salt, pepper, splash or three of balsamic vinegar, and water to cover. simmer on stove top until reduced enough to get lid on. Cover and put in 300 oven for 90 mins. Serve with a big salad, and whole grain of your choice. This is really yummy and you will have delicious leftovers. Veggies can be varied (parsnips, rutabaga are delicious additions, even a chopped apple!).

I love this kind of stuff. Sounds great. Thanks much.
  • initialsdeebee
    Options
    Check out FullPlateDiet.com. One of the things they suggest is eating an apple or pear right before every meal. When I remember to do that, it does help me get full faster. Their thing is to fill up as much of the plate with high fiber foods as possible, so it sounds like you're already moving in that direction. Soup of course is great--though it's not exactly the right weather for it right now. And water!

This sounds super helpful. I'm a pretty good, experienced cook who has tried a lot of things, but still getting the hang of what combination of fat and fiber keeps me fullest. Sounds like it might help to have a website all about that. I'll check it out. Thanks.
  • initialsdeebee
    Options
    I made a "breakfast sandwich" frittata yesterday, fills me up well for breakfast. Here's what I did:
    • 2 large eggs
    • 250g egg whites (about 1 cup I think)
    • 64g turkey sausage, for me this was just slicing up two cooked sausages we had in the fridge
    • 1/8 tsp salt
    • pepper to taste
    • 30g cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven on low broil setting. Whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper, and spray a frying pan with oil spray (I used a cast iron, I'm not sure how much it would stick in another kind of pan). Get the pan warm and turn down to low heat. Pour in the eggs and sprinkle the sliced turkey sausage across the top. Cook, covered, until it's almost done, just a bit runny in the middle and across the top (google how to cook a frittata if this is confusing). Sprinkle the cheese across the top and place in the oven for about 3-4 minutes with the door cracked. Watch it closely - once it has puffed up across the whole top and is starting to brown, it's done. Transfer to plate and slice into 4 servings.

Came out to about 140 cal per serving. Put it on an English muffin for a fast and easy breakfast at about 270 cal and 20g protein. You can store leftovers for about a week.

Sounds delish. Yes, eggs are great and I could eat them all day.
  • initialsdeebee
    Options
    Thanks all. Some good stuff here that is right up my ally.
  • jameskelday
    jameskelday Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    50grams of rolled oats, 250ml unsweetened almond milk, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a scoop of lean chocolate whey protein powder and a small box of raisins. Microwave for 3.5 minutes. Big bowl of porridge very filling. Over 30g of protein and only 380 cals
  • initialsdeebee
    Options
    50grams of rolled oats, 250ml unsweetened almond milk, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a scoop of lean chocolate whey protein powder and a small box of raisins. Microwave for 3.5 minutes. Big bowl of porridge very filling. Over 30g of protein and only 380 cals

Thanks! Haven't ventured yet into protein powder, but thinking about it.
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you like breakfast foods try a microwaved egg, with precooked bacon and a slice of cheese on an Orowheat whole wheat sandwich thin. Add a little bit of salt and pepper, delicious and fast.