Weight training

Options
Weazy16
Weazy16 Posts: 20 Member
did 30 min weight training with free weights along with balls exercises how come it didn't give me excercise calories burnt?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you log under the strength training section you don't get a calorie burn.

If you search "strength training" under the cardio section, you will get a calorie burn.
  • javvalenz
    javvalenz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I logged strength training on cardio it gives you the wrong calories burned though, any help on that
    Today I did 55 mins of chest&tri's with a HR 110-136 and it told me I only burned 270 calories!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    javvalenz wrote: »
    When I logged strength training on cardio it gives you the wrong calories burned though, any help on that
    Today I did 55 mins of chest&tri's with a HR 110-136 and it told me I only burned 270 calories!

HRMs are not accurate at all for weight lifting.
    Weight training actually doesn't burn a whole lot of calories either.
  • apfurste
    apfurste Posts: 1 Member
    Options

HRMs are not accurate at all for weight lifting.
    Weight training actually doesn't burn a whole lot of calories either. [/quote]

Not true. Weight training is effective for losing weight. You also burn additional calories at rest with the repair of muscles. It also can elevate your metabolism. Combining weights and cardio is best.
  • biziebun
    biziebun Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I leave my HRM on during weight training. So your telling me the calories that I burn during weight training isn't correct?
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Look up a few threads on this forum that discuss the actual mechanics of an HRM. @3dogsrunning is correct; HRMs run on an algorithm (not everybody's individual heart rate at every moment of every day); they are best used for steady-state cardio. When you do anaerobic exercise like weight training, the calorie burn is not measured as accurately as it is when you're doing steady-state cardio. HRMs give best estimates, based on a formula, not actual reality.

And, the calorie burn when you're actually weight training is not high. It's there...yes...and the act of post-weight lifting as your muscles repair burns calories...yes...and building muscles and muscle mass does end up burning more calories versus fat, at rest, yes....(but even that's rather minimal). But what 3dogsrunning was referring to was the actual heart-rate reading of an HRM, which does not measure anaerobic activity very well, and the actual calorie burn while lifting--not huge.

There are a few decent threads in the forum that explain more about HRMs, anaerobic activity like weightlifting, and steady-state cardio.