Accuracy of home scales

Options
Hmmm?! I think I measured my starting weight inaccurately. Yesterday my scales had me at 245lbs, (with scales on carpet). Today I am 238lbs, (with scales on hard floor). I worked really hard yesterday having completed a run and done several other circuit training exercises, (push ups, sit ups & squats). My diet went well also, having eaten approx. 900 odd calories less than my allowance. But 7lbs weight loss in one day?! The scales aren't cheap but I think this is inaccurate and from now on I'll be keeping my home scales on the same hard floor surface each day for greater accuracy.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Never weight on carpet. Scales need to be used on a solid floor.

Also, try to eat close to your allowance rather than a whole lot lower.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Never weight on carpet. Scales need to be used on a solid floor.

Also, try to eat close to your allowance rather than a whole lot lower.

This, especially the second point. Eating 900 calories less than your allowance everyday is only going to make things harder in the long run.
  • Runningman38
    Runningman38 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks Demorafairy and Seska, I'll definitely be following your advice.
    Regards, Andy :-)
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Its most likely water weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    Its most likely water weight.

nope

it's most likely the carpet (I have never written that before, thanks for being unique)

stick scales on hard floor and calibrate .. get something you know the weight of (got any dumbbells?) and weigh them to check calibration

try not to move them

Always weigh under same conditions .. best, IMHO is first thing in the morning, after bathroom, before eating and nekkid

Also hit your defecit across the week, eating under is not good