Options
13»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

This is my first post so please be kind!

Around 3 months ago now I decided that enough was enough and I needed to lose some weight.

I'm 5"11 and started at 12st7. Three months later and I'm....wait for it... 12st6 :(
    I've been eating well, putting in correct amounts, going to the gym 3 sometimes 4 times a week but just can't shift my weight at all!

I've given up twice, for about a week then i start again. But nothing is working. I started at a 1300 calorie intake and have steadily made it down to 1000 calories to see if that made a difference. Alas, no!

At the beginning of the year I went on a low carb diet and lost 5 pounds, but piled it straight back on when I came off of it, so that's a no go for me now.

Any tips or motivation people can lend me? I just feel like giving up all together if I'm honest :(
    do you mean 127 lbs? bc your post says 12st7.

12st7=175 pounds (a stone is British measurement, and is equal to 14 pounds).

OP, definitely start weighing and logging your foods, and check out these threads for more help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    12st7=175 pounds (a stone is British measurement, and is equal to 14 pounds).

Ohhh. That makes far more sense than it being 127 lbs with a typo.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Fo work days, I drink a protein shake for breakfast (easy when commuting and discreet during morning meetings), microwave a protein and veggies (sometimes a grain like quinoa) for lunch, have a serving of mixed berries, protein pudding, light cheese sticks as snacks. I usually get it all set (weight it) in the fridge the night before.

Week nights/ends: eggs, egg whites, tuna, tofu, veggies and a little potato or quinoa.

I have two jobs. Everyone's busy. To be honest, it comes down to where your priorities are. You can find the time if it's really important to you. Or you won't. If that's not where you are, that's OK.

I tried a bunch of different crap before I weighed and measured most everything. My fitness tracker really helped too.

Check out this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10203639/holy-crap#latest This member decided to go back and figure out out many calories she was consuming before she started weighing. The name of her thread is "Holy Crap."

It's worth the effort. You can do it! :smiley:
  • BritBoogaloo
    BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you'd please kindly answer these questions:
    • Are you using an electric scale to weigh your foods?
    • Are you weighing accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Also, open your diary so we can look at your logging. Don't eat at 1000 calories, the minimum RDA is 1200 and I still think that is too low for most.

This x infinity.

Yep, you definitely need to be weighing your food because you are probably eating more than you think you are.

But... but... 1200 calories is way too low for you, woman! Stop starving yourself!

Weight loss is a long journey. Do you really want to spend that journey experiencing hunger pangs, thinking about food all the time and having uncontrollable binges when your body can't keep up with the huge calorie deficit you've created for it?

I'm a 5'9 female and I've been eating about 1700 calories a day. You're taller than me and you should be eating more than that.

I've lost about 7kg (15lbs) in 9 weeks so far so PLEASE know that weight loss is entirely possible on higher calories in a moderate deficit. Why torture yourself?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ok here's what i recommend you do. Start by eating the right amount of calories for your current weight using a good calorie calculator. Work on improving the quality of your food re nutrition and whole foods. Keep a food diary outside of this site in a file so that you can go back easily to see what you've been doing. I use a spreadsheet sometiems but a document file in a diary form is fine too.

Record your food accurately using either weight and or measuring cups and spoons. When you use measuring cups and spoons, these are level on top for accuracy.

Weigh daily and watch your weight fluctuate according to water, salts and other usual factors.

Use a good calculator such as the one on the fast diet website. Don't try to count calories burned of your activites. I think its impossible to get this right and probably where a lot of people come unstuck. Just make a general estimate based on the descriptions given in the guide.

After you've been eating at this maximum calorie level for a week or two, start reducing your calorie intake a little. I'd suggest between 200 and 500 calories per day.

Notice that your weight will fluctuate all the time but you must not worry about that. Its just water weight.

Basically the better the quality of your food, the less likely you are to experience much appetite when its not earned. With only moderate calorie reductions, you are maximising weightloss in the most sustainable way. But as you get closer to your goal weight and the longer you do this the slower losses will be.

You will have adjust your maximum calories from time to time as well as you lose weight.

Anyway I believe its a mistake to cut calories severely.

When you change the amount of exercise you are doing, you should consider recalculating your maximum calories and what you are eating again. You don't need to be doing hte recalculations all the time, just every month or so otherwise.

• ashleebear23
    ashleebear23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for all of your replies, super helpful and really makes me want to try harder!

In summary of what you've all said, I'm looking at raising my calorie intake to 1300, measuring my food and doing meal prep for the week?
  • ashleebear23
    Options

Also, open your diary so we can look at your logging. Don't eat at 1000 calories, the minimum RDA is 1200 and I still think that is too low for most.

This x infinity.

Yep, you definitely need to be weighing your food because you are probably eating more than you think you are.

But... but... 1200 calories is way too low for you, woman! Stop starving yourself!

Weight loss is a long journey. Do you really want to spend that journey experiencing hunger pangs, thinking about food all the time and having uncontrollable binges when your body can't keep up with the huge calorie deficit you've created for it?

I'm a 5'9 female and I've been eating about 1700 calories a day. You're taller than me and you should be eating more than that.

I've lost about 7kg (15lbs) in 9 weeks so far so PLEASE know that weight loss is entirely possible on higher calories in a moderate deficit. Why torture yourself?

Hey! That's an amazing weight loss, I'd love to lose that much in that time. I'm definitely going to raise my calorie intake, would you mind telling me the sort of food you eat on a daily basis? This is where I struggle as I run out of ideas and get bored of the same thing day in day out!

• BritBoogaloo
    edited July 2015
    Options

This x infinity.

Hey! That's an amazing weight loss, I'd love to lose that much in that time. I'm definitely going to raise my calorie intake, would you mind telling me the sort of food you eat on a daily basis? This is where I struggle as I run out of ideas and get bored of the same thing day in day out!

Thanks so much! I'm losing a lot right now because I have a lot to lose, though. The weight loss rate may be slower for you if you have less to lose than me (my stats: SW 214, CW 196, GW 160)

My diary is open, but in case you can't see it for some reason, I eat:

Two eggs, a piece of multigrain toast and a protein shake for breakfast;

250g chicken tenderloin, 50g brown rice, 200g of veggies (usually with low calorie Portuguese spicy BBQ sauce) and another protein shake for lunch;

200g lean eye fillet steak, 200g baked sweet potato chips and 40g avocado for dinner;

75g mixed berries for dessert.

I use spray coconut oil for cooking because it's the lowest in calories, plus whatever herbs/spices I feel like to flavour things. And 3mg fish oil per day for muscle recovery for my weight training.

I also recommend prepping your meals in advance (weighing the ingredients at the time, of course). That way you can stay within your calorie limit for the week without even thinking about it.

Lots of protein so that I am full all the time without thinking about food during the day, suffering through hunger pangs or binging. Carbs such as the bread, rice, sweet potato and berries for energy to help me exercise and not feel sluggish. Good fats such as the avocado and fish oil to help with bodily function and assist with fullness.

One big detractor for my diet though is that I pretty much eat the same thing every day. This diet was set for me by my nutritionist, and I am lucky because I have no problem at all eating the same thing every day without getting tired of it. Used to eat the same thing all the time when I was eating unhealthily too. I definitely realise that I'm in the minority in this way though.

If you want a wide variety of recipes that are good for you, I recommend www.skinnytaste.com. All of their recipes come with a calorie and macro breakdown.

Hopefully that helps and best of luck on your journey!
  • ashleebear23
    Options

This x infinity.

Thanks so much! I'm losing a lot right now because I have a lot to lose, though. The weight loss rate may be slower for you if you have less to lose than me (my stats: SW 214, CW 196, GW 160)

250g chicken tenderloin, 50g brown rice, 200g of veggies (usually with low calorie Portuguese spicy BBQ sauce) and another protein shake for lunch;

200g lean eye fillet steak, 200g baked sweet potato chips and 40g avocado for dinner;

I use spray coconut oil for cooking because it's the lowest in calories, plus whatever herbs/spices I feel like to flavour things. And 3mg fish oil per day for muscle recovery for my weight training.

I also recommend prepping your meals in advance (weighing the ingredients at the time, of course). That way you can stay within your calorie limit for the week without even thinking about it.

Lots of protein so that I am full all the time without thinking about food during the day, suffering through hunger pangs or binging. Carbs such as the bread, rice, sweet potato and berries for energy to help me exercise and not feel sluggish. Fats such as the avocado and fish oil to help with bodily function and assist with fullness.

One big detractor for my diet though is that I pretty much eat the same thing every day. This diet was set for me by my nutritionist, and I am lucky because I have no problem at all eating the same thing every day without getting tired of it. Used to eat the same thing all the time when I was eating unhealthily too. I definitely realise that I'm in the minority in this way though.

If you want a wide variety of recipes that are good for you, I recommend www.skinnytaste.com. All of their recipes come with a calorie and macro breakdown.

That's amazing! Well done :) what protein shakes do you recommend? I was looking into these recently but just need to put the money aside for a good one. I'll have a look at that website for sure and get some ideas. Do you work out every day?
  • BritBoogaloo
    Options

This x infinity.

Lots of protein so that I am full all the time without thinking about food during the day, suffering through hunger pangs or binging. Carbs such as the bread, rice, sweet potato and berries for energy to help me exercise and not feel sluggish. Fats such as the avocado and fish oil to help with bodily function and assist with fullness.

That's amazing! Well done :) what protein shakes do you recommend? I was looking into these recently but just need to put the money aside for a good one. I'll have a look at that website for sure and get some ideas. Do you work out every day?

Thank you! I use Scitec Nutrition 100% Whey for my protein. Others can correct me on this- but I'm told there's not a lot of difference between the whey-based proteins. Just find one that tastes good (and check the calories per serve!). Also obviously don't get any mass-gainers, unless that's what you're after, haha.

I work out 6 days a week: 3 days I jog 5km (I'm currently working on increasing my speed) and 3 days I do weight training with heavy, heavy weights. Sundays I rest. I don't record my exercise on here though because I don't eat back my calories burned.

I got up to jogging 5km on my jogging days by using a couch to 5k app on my phone. Weights I'm still a beginner in- prior to 9 weeks ago I'd never touched a weight in my life so I have a PT to help me on that side of things. :)
  • BritBoogaloo
    Options
    PS. With all the exercising I'm doing, my PT has told me I have to increase my calorie intake again, so I'm bumping up to 1800 per day next week :)
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys!

I'm looking at raising my calorie intake to 1300, measuring my food and doing meal prep for the week?

That's still to low. What I have gathered so far from you comments is that your are 175 lbs, 5'11" female. Your BMI is 24.4, in the normal range (18-25). You want to lose 20 lbs that will leave you with a BMI of 21.6. BMI is not the always the best thing to go by, especially if you have a lot of muscle, but I assume that is not the case for you.

Point being, for weight you are at and the amount you want to lose, 1200 or 1300 calories is too low. Your BMR, the amount of calories you body consumes if it was in a coma, is 1639. If you lived a sedentary life, you would need 1967 calories. At 1200 calories, that would be a 5369 weekly deficit, with an estimated 1.5 lbs/week weight loss.

1.5 lbs/week is too low for your current weight. 0.5 lbs/ week would be better with a daily calorie goal of 1717 assuming you are sedentary ( you likely are not). Or consider body re-composition, which is maintaining your current weight while building muscle with the goal of replacing fat with muscle.

That being said, since you are not losing, you are probably eating 1967 calories or more a day.

Open your diary if you want more help.

Also, a lot of good information is in this sticky.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

• SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not weighing your foods is the biggest mistake you can make when trying to lose weight. It's so easy to under estimate what you're eating. Cereal for example weighs more than it seems and can easily add up to a few 100 calories. I like the protein works protein powder (UK brand). Add me as a friend if you like, I'm on here every day, currently have a streak of nearly a year and have lost almost 50lbs (4lb weight gain this week due to TOTM).

Good luck
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You may be eating too much sugar. I have my MFP set @ 45 gm (and try not to go over 60 gm--this includes ALL sugar, added & natural). I try not to go over although I do so occasionally (mostly natural sugar). I did this and ended up losing 10 lbs.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    You may be eating too much sugar. I have my MFP set @ 45 gm (and try not to go over 60 gm--this includes ALL sugar, added & natural). I try not to go over although I do so occasionally (mostly natural sugar). I did this and ended up losing 10 lbs.

What are you even on about. Sugar doesn't cause weight gain, too many calories does. And if you haven't read the thread, go read it. We clearly pointed out what was going wrong lol.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

You lose weight by being in a calorie deficit, not by limiting sugar (unless sugar is the reason you go over your calories). I'm over my goal nearly every day and I've lost 60 pounds.
  • ashleebear23
    Options

This x infinity.

Thank you! I use Scitec Nutrition 100% Whey for my protein. Others can correct me on this- but I'm told there's not a lot of difference between the whey-based proteins. Just find one that tastes good (and check the calories per serve!). Also obviously don't get any mass-gainers, unless that's what you're after, haha.

I work out 6 days a week: 3 days I jog 5km (I'm currently working on increasing my speed) and 3 days I do weight training with heavy, heavy weights. Sundays I rest. I don't record my exercise on here though because I don't eat back my calories burned.

I got up to jogging 5km on my jogging days by using a couch to 5k app on my phone. Weights I'm still a beginner in- prior to 9 weeks ago I'd never touched a weight in my life so I have a PT to help me on that side of things. :)

I 100% don't have the time to do that much exercise but I fit it in where I can, I got to the gym a few times a week, and when I can't I walk to and from work (hour in total) and try to do some exercises late at night. I'll have a look into proteins now. Thanks for your help! X
  • ashleebear23
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Hi Guys!

I'm looking at raising my calorie intake to 1300, measuring my food and doing meal prep for the week?

That's still to low. What I have gathered so far from you comments is that your are 175 lbs, 5'11" female. Your BMI is 24.4, in the normal range (18-25). You want to lose 20 lbs that will leave you with a BMI of 21.6. BMI is not the always the best thing to go by, especially if you have a lot of muscle, but I assume that is not the case for you.

Point being, for weight you are at and the amount you want to lose, 1200 or 1300 calories is too low. Your BMR, the amount of calories you body consumes if it was in a coma, is 1639. If you lived a sedentary life, you would need 1967 calories. At 1200 calories, that would be a 5369 weekly deficit, with an estimated 1.5 lbs/week weight loss.

1.5 lbs/week is too low for your current weight. 0.5 lbs/ week would be better with a daily calorie goal of 1717 assuming you are sedentary ( you likely are not). Or consider body re-composition, which is maintaining your current weight while building muscle with the goal of replacing fat with muscle.

That being said, since you are not losing, you are probably eating 1967 calories or more a day.

Open your diary if you want more help.

Also, a lot of good information is in this sticky.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

Thanks for this! I'm going to rise my calories now to 1400, and gradually rise them the more I work out. My diary is currently closed because it hasn't been used in a few weeks and doesn't reflect the way I've been eating! I have a hard time keeping up with the diet on the weekends which is a big downfall I have! I haven't been going by BMI as I don't think it's accurate to health, I'm healthy and do eat healthy, I just want to tone up my fat bits haha, and need to lose most of this in weight.

Thank you for helping!