Leg day advice?

Options
Hi I'm starting to lift heavier than normal and it has come to leg day. Any tips in how to lift heavier for legs/glutes? I'm thinking Smith Machine but never used it before so worried about doing it wrong and looking silly!

Replies

• daperfectmix
    daperfectmix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts with free weights are a good option. Smith Machine is good too, especially if you want to go really heavy with no spotter, but it's probably safer to have someone spot you.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlifts, dumbbell or barbell lunges.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My advice and I imagine most of the advice you will get here is for compound lifts and free weights. Even if you have very specific goals (body building or fitness model?) I would put single joint movements and machines waaaay down the list of priorities, just an assist exercise if you want more volume somewhere your not getting it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you currently doing? Squats, stiff-leg deadlifts, lunges, step-ups and barbell glute "bridges" (can't think of proper name) are all excellent-but you have to have your form down.

Are you currently using a barbell? Dumbbell? Their are lots of options based on your ability. A simple 5x5 routine is usually a solid start.
  • vickihuk
    vickihuk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone.

I tend to steer clear of the machines and concentrate on various forms of squats and lunges with barbell and dumbells. I'm lifting 20kg barbell at the moment but want to do more - only problem is lifting it over my head if you get me? This is where I'm struggling.

I want to do deadlift too but not had much practice and worried about my form.
  • slaite1
    Options
    vickihuk wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

I tend to steer clear of the machines and concentrate on various forms of squats and lunges with barbell and dumbells. I'm lifting 20kg barbell at the moment but want to do more - only problem is lifting it over my head if you get me? This is where I'm struggling.

Can you try Dumbbells for lifting overhead until you progress to the bar? As far as deadlifts-definitely learn form. It's a tough exercise if you don't know how to do it correctly. Their is a group somewhere in here where they will critique your form, that might be helpful. I personally did not do BB deadlifts until I had someone knowledgeable teach me.
  • vickihuk
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

Can you try Dumbbells for lifting overhead until you progress to the bar? As far as deadlifts-definitely learn form. It's a tough exercise if you don't know how to do it correctly. Their is a group somewhere in here where they will critique your form, that might be helpful. I personally did not do BB deadlifts until I had someone knowledgeable teach me.

Thank you so much - very helpful.

On the dumbell squats - where would I position the dumbell?

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    So find a gal at your gym who is doing dead lifts and ask her for help with your form. My husband helped me and we still check each other's form periodically. I'm currently deadlifting and squatting 100lbs (45kg) and bench pressing 90. Overhead press is a different story: I can only do 50-60 pounds, so I am working on my shoulder strength. Good luck!
  • clickshy
    clickshy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would really like to warn you against using the smith machine. it teaches bad form and doesn't allow you to work any of your stabilizers, which can lead to injuries in the future.
  • slaite1
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone.

Thank you so much - very helpful.

On the dumbell squats - where would I position the dumbell?

If you're doing dumbbell squats just hold them at your side. Or Google goblet squat and hold the dumbbell that way. I like goblet squats for people who are unsure of form. By holding the DB in front of your chest it helps force you to hold yourself upright and not lean down.

When you say getting the bar over your head-are you referring to shoulder presses or do you mean getting the bar up so you can do squats, etc?
  • vickihuk
    Options
    I don't think there's many women in my gym that could help with that Melissa ! :p I think I'll practice at home with my other half!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd start with -
    goblet squats
    weighted lunges
    deadlifts
    hip thrusts

Does your gym have a squat rack/cage? You can position the bar, then put weights on it so you don't have to fight to get the weight over your head.
  • vickihuk
    Options
    clickshy wrote: »
    I would really like to warn you against using the smith machine. it teaches bad form and doesn't allow you to work any of your stabilizers, which can lead to injuries in the future.

Ok thanks!

[/quote]

If you're doing dumbbell squats just hold them at your side. Or Google goblet squat and hold the dumbbell that way. I like goblet squats for people who are unsure of form. By holding the DB in front of your chest it helps force you to hold yourself upright and not lean down.

When you say getting the bar over your head-are you referring to shoulder presses or do you mean getting the bar up so you can do squats, etc? [/quote]

Yes, I meant to get the bar up so I can do squats.
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I'd start with -
    goblet squats
    weighted lunges
    deadlifts
    hip thrusts

Does your gym have a squat rack/cage? You can position the bar, then put weights on it so you don't have to fight to get the weight over your head.

Yes but never used it before - is it tricky?

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd start with -
    goblet squats
    weighted lunges
    deadlifts
    hip thrusts

Tricky? No. Different? Yes. Your center of gravity is much higher with weight on your shoulders than it is with weight held low. It's definitely worth trying, but start with low weight, probably just the bar, until you get a feel for the movement. The squat is a great lift.
  • slaite1
    Options
    clickshy wrote: »

Ok thanks!

When you say getting the bar over your head-are you referring to shoulder presses or do you mean getting the bar up so you can do squats, etc? [/quote]

I'd start with -
    goblet squats
    weighted lunges
    deadlifts
    hip thrusts

[/quote]

Ah, ok. Yes, get in a squat rack for barbell squats. You're asking for an injury if you're lifting it from the floor, overhead, and then to your back. I used to do this and it was not a good idea.

You can do a "clean" (Google) and do a front squat. That's much safer than struggling to get the bar overhead. However, I would still recommend a squat rack. Can you maybe get a trainer for one session to teach you the form for lifts, and help with a squat rack. Then maybe post videos for form check? I spent a small amount of time with a trainer, then watched tons of videos and recorded myself to tweak form.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I recommend front squats as an accessory exercise. It really helped me build up quad strength.

Go light on them at first if you're new, if not, you could easily get hurt due to the awkwardness of the bar position.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's many women in my gym that could help with that Melissa ! :p I think I'll practice at home with my other half!

That works for me. Although I was pleasantly surprised how many women in my gym lift. Some of them think I am crazy for using the power rack instead of the Smith machine, but I think the power rack makes me work on balance more.