Options
Need help with macros % for high protein low carb and low fat diet. Please help

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Google the Dukan diet ?

Over 35% protein is usually regarded as "excessive" so let's set P = 35

Now you have 70 to share between carbs and fat, which can't both be "low".

Low carb is typically LCHF - say C = 20 leaving F = 45 up to F = 60 with C = 5
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    i have 40p, 35c & 25f. Works for me but i lift a lot.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When one does high protein one would normally raise either carbs or fat.
  • mo247x
    mo247x Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there.. just starting out on dukan high protein low carbon diet. Please feel free to add me as a friend. Thanks
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you really want to learn about high protein, low fat, low carb, look at Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook. However, this is not sustainable for more than a week or two and even Lyle McDonald doesn't really recommend this approach! He only wrote it so people that are going to crash diet anyways can do it without hurting themselves.

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights here's a good spread for macros
    Protein: 0.6-1.2 g/lb of body weight
    Fat: 20-30% of your calories
    Carbs: the rest of your calories

If you're quite overweight, you can stay to the lower end of the protein range
  • birknsan
    birknsan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    birknsan wrote: »

• birknsan
    Options
    Need to update:
    Not a lifter
    Sedentary 100 lbs over weight
    Carb lover!!! The bad kind
    Need to start walking but it is too hot outside!

This aside, need more protein options as I not crazy about meat and do not eat anything that lives in water.
    I want to eat less bad carbs. This site doesn't sepArate fruits and veggies from breads and junk. I have not been eating junk at all.
    Been dieting for 1 month and have lost 15 lbs. my macros has me eating only about 25 percent protein and 50 percent carbs, Most of fruit and veggie.
    This is what I need help with and has been confusing me.
    Please please help, thank you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues, low carb is not necessary. Think lifestyle changes. Will you be eating low carb to maintain your new weight loss?

There are no "bad carbs." It's just that less processed carbs retain more protein, fiber and nutrients. These are better (more filling, more nourishing) choices. Try eating more "whole" foods. Again unless you have medical issues you don't need to cut out all grains.

Beans, legumes, eggs, and dairy are great protein sources. Greek yogurt is strained yogurt and generally has twice the protein of regular yogurt.

Dietary fat does not make you fat. In fact fat is required for many bodily functions. Are there sources of fat that are better than others? Sure, stay way (far) away from transfats. Limit saturated fats if you have medical issues. But nuts, olive oil, and avocado are excellent healthy fats.

It's not too hot to walk inside......Google Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith. Lots of walking videos on YouTube and DVD. These are low impact aerobics (no dancing!).....you march in place, do side steps, do knee lifts (no choreography). The moves are so simple that you can do them at your own pace, or even with the sound turned down. I load up an MP3 player with fast songs and go! This is my "excuse proof" exercise.
  • birknsan
    Options
    Teabea, wow. I do love beans but when I look at the carbs on them I shy away. Also love mixed nuts. You have relieved some fear. I still do not understand macros Percentages. Where should those be to continue loosing . Protein, carbs and fat.
    Thanks so much for your help. I will look up these two ladies as well
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Need to start walking but it is too hot outside!

This aside, need more protein options as I not crazy about meat and do not eat anything that lives in water. I have not been eating junk at all.
    Been dieting for 1 month and have lost 15 lbs. my macros has me eating only about 25 percent protein and 50 percent carbs, Most of fruit and veggie.

First, "it's too hot" is an excuse. I'm sitting in the desert where it's been 110°F for the last month, UV index 11+, and it will be like that for two more. You won't hear me complain. Find a way around it.

Second...dont fix what ain't broke! If you are losing weight doing what you are doing, as you are, then keep doing it! Change it up when you start to struggle, or when the plan fails at some point based on your goals.

Third, proteins can come from eggs, nuts, leafy greens, avocados, and other dairy, among many other things.

Happy Eating!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Teabea, wow. I do love beans but when I look at the carbs on them I shy away. Also love mixed nuts. You have relieved some fear. I still do not understand macros Percentages. Where should those be to continue loosing . Protein, carbs and fat.
    Thanks so much for your help. I will look up these two ladies as well

Your 25% protein is good, you can play with carbs and fat around that eg 35 % fat 40 % carbs or 55% fat 20% carbs and so on.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    About that "it's too hot to walk outside" excuse..... yep, I'll join you on that one. Some people can deal with heat and humidity better than others. Whoever it was upthread who said they live near the desert, that person sounds like one who can deal with it. Me, no thanks. :neutral:

I go to our local community center which has some equipment like a gym and also an indoor track 1/8 mile around. Also there are a lot of people around here who go to a local mall and walk there. The mall has even made it "official" by calling them The Mall Walkers or something and encourages them all to come in the morning before the mall opens and then offers free coffee.

And as someone said there are exercise videos or things on TV or even YouTube. Sometimes at home I even just walk around my house or up and down the stairs a bunch of times. I usually do that when my step tracker is *almost* at my daily goal and I need just a few more steps. But doing stairs is a great workout.

Hopefully one of those ideas can help you because I agree 100% about walking in the heat. ugh.
  • birknsan
    Options
    Thanks, you have me laughing
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I live in the desert, too. I walk 10,000 - 14,000 steps a day but not outside when it is 110 degrees! We do walk at 10 PM when the sun is down and the heat is less intense, but we are night people. I also have a treadmill which we picked up for a song and refurbished. We had to commandeer our guest room for it, but nobody visits us here in the summer anyway! I also have mall walked, Lowe's walked and Costco walked. Anywhere to escape the heat. I have lost 90 pounds and have 70 more to go, but have hit a major plateau, so I am interested in figuring out all of the macro things. Thank you all for the informaton you are providing.