I know this is posted every other day, but...

Options
I ate really well today, and walked about 7.5 miles. When I logged the exercise, it said I need to eat around 1100 more calories for today. WTH? I can't do that! I'm not hungry and refuse to force feed myself to meet the calorie goals. is this ok?

Replies

• ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't eat if you aren't hungry.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Would be in a better position to comment if i look at your diary.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Next time I would just try and consume more calories throughout the day, so you aren't left with so many at the end.
  • SkinnyCate
    SkinnyCate Posts: 116
    Options
    I ate really well today, and walked about 7.5 miles. When I logged the exercise, it said I need to eat around 1100 more calories for today. WTH? I can't do that! I'm not hungry and refuse to force feed myself to meet the calorie goals. is this ok?

You should really look into the other posts about this subject. You will find some valuable information without having to re-ask it. Good luck!!! :D
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not under 1,200 net calories consistently, it's not a big deal. But in the future, if you know you will have a large calorie burn, try to plan ahead and eat more/enough throughout the day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238136-myfitnesspal-builds-in-your-deficit-for-you
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I eat maybe 1/2 of my exercise calories, if any at all....dip into them only if you really need them, don't if you are not hungry and see what happens......
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Don't burn that many calories if you can't eat them back.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You wont die if you don't eat them every now and then..
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    I go through this everyday. I understand the theory behind eating back calories but have a hard time most days actually eating mine back. I eat almonds, eggs, all the things people suggest but still have a deficit everyday. I just can't see eating if my body says it is not hungry. Still trying to find the answer...I don't want to give up my excercise as I feel that 25 mins a day is barely enough.
  • mommacarrie423
    Options
    Kinda happened by accident, Started walking with my ipod and next thing I knew, two hours had passed and I'd gone like 7.5 miles!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It would be great if when people share lots of information they shared the source of the info. There are so many people on this website and it would help to determine what is truth and what is opinion. Suggesting someone needs a certain amount or less of protein, without being a nutritionist or knowing their entire health history, is rather general. I think - my opinion - that you're better off with a little more lean protein that with extra carbs. It's what works for me personally, after trial and error and consulting with a family member who's gone to school for this.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    One day won't kill you. Just keep in mind for next time that when you burn a lot of calories you need to replace them or you'll dip below your minimum and stress your system. I do always recommend following the MFP plan of eating the appropriate amount of calories (including exercise calories). I've been extremely successful with it. I eat more throughout the day when I go on my extended hikes, just so I won't have to eat a million calories for dinner. I do love those days, though. (That's when I plan for my huge pasta dinners!) :drinker:
  • flyawaybyebye
    flyawaybyebye Posts: 250
    Options
    Never eat if you aren't hungry. Eating when you aren't hungry will train your body to eat out of habit, not hunger. You want to teach your body to only eat when you need to eat, so eating when you aren't hungry is counterproductive. If you wind up hungrier tomorrow, go over your calories a bit tomorrow if you need to. Listen to your body. It will balance itself out if you consistently listen to it.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Dont force yourself to eat, but in the future. excercise = you need to eat more. If you can fit in another snack today after awhile, try to do so, otherwise its ok... Something high calorie like unsalted nuts, or peanut butter on celery. U can eat high calorie, while it still being a healthy food.

If you plan to excercise; eat higher calorie that day. Its not that you will be eating more, just higher calorie. Rice, beans, nuts, peanut butter, raisins, bananas, avacodo, etc r all healthy high calorie foods. Instead of half an apple as a snack at 40calories i could eat a banana at 100calories, and instead of a baked potatoe with dinner at only 100 calories, i could have a cup of rice at 200calories. Or I could add things in and make meals just a tad bigger if im hungry for them--- with the baked potatoe i could add cottage cheese, or instead of water with dinner I could have a cup of milk or orange juice, or have the half apple for a snack but add in 2tbls of peanut butter with it.

If you have a ton extra, you could combine these high calorie foods---like black beans and rice for dinner. Peanut butter with banana. raisins in your rice, etc.

You can also switch items---like I was going for the lowest calorie bread i could find at 45calories a slice. Now I go for the high fiber bread thats 100calories a slice. Or instead of multi grain cheerios at 110calories a cup, i switched to 190a cup kashi go lean crunch cereal. Instead of skim milk i switched to 1% (because I like it better)... When I started everyday was low cal reduced cal yadda yadda and i had trouble makin my calories.. I also avoided everything that seemed too high--like whole wheat bagels, or whole wheat pastas, or cheese, etc... Now that im not being so strict, im losing more and happier in my life...
  • cachef1
    cachef1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also used to let readings like that bother me. Now I just look at it as a little glitch. I have worked with some of the best personal trainers who are also leading the pack in nutrition. I have been measured every which way by them as far as resting metabolic rate and so forth. That is much more than a program can do. Don't let it bother you. Set your own caloric goals. If you walked that much - great. Listen to your body and don't necessarily expect it to perform the same every day. I learned some time ago that each day cannot be a personal best. I pay more attention to the compostition of the calories - am I getting enough carbs. Am I getting enough protein for muscle repair, things like that. Besides tomorrow your body may say, heh 1 mile feels like enough today, and if it does, listen to it. You will be fine. This little program is great, but don't be a slave to it. You use it, not the other way around. If your body is trending the way you want it too, then eveything is on target for your goals.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    I have had the same problem, also some days I burn a lot, others nothing- just depends on the day. So I was supposed to eat 1200 one day and then 2500 the next. I also found the days I burned a lot I was the least hungry. I finally averaged out how many calories I burned a week (about 3000) split that up over the 7 day week. Then I custom set my calorie goals up 430 each day. This way I consistently try to eat about the same amount each day and don't freak about it if I'm a little low one day or high the next. Right now my exercise is decreased per week so I lowered my overall calorie goal a bit. I enter my exercise for the day at the end of the day so it does not give me 'false' calorie readings through the day. Maybe not the best option, but it worked for me and so far seems to be ok for my body.