Tips for progressing from 5 km to 10 km runs

Options
Hi everyone. I've been running regularly (2-3 times per week) since January and last month completed a 5 km race in 38 minutes. I'm now looking to start increasing the distance I run. I do speed or hill intervals once per week and am still running 5 km once per week.
Does anyone have any tips for the best and safest way to start increasing my distance and how quickly I should be increasing mileage? I suffered with shin splints last year from working too hard too fast so I would rather not get a repeat this year (none so far!). Thanks :smile:

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Add a k to your 5k run, do that for a few weeks, add another k etc etc till you get to 10
  • meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey there is a great app from Race for Life for training from a 5km to 10km. I just ran my very first 10km race a few weeks ago and the app had great training runs to get there. Plus its designed for about 3 runs a week, which was great! I get shin splints too and I didn't have any problems with the runs outlined in the app. I did deviate at the end to suit the plan I had for running the 10k, but its definitely a good starting point :) I think its called 10k for pink and its by zenlabs. Hope that helps!
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Pick a day to do your long slow run, increase the distance by no more than 10% per week, and run it at a little less than your normal pace.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner for 5 years now and the best advice I ever received about training is to GO SLOW!

Early on, I read that the body's systems adjust at different rates. The cardiovascular system adjust to something new in 3-4 weeks, your muscular system adjusts in 3-4 months and your skeletal system (which includes your tendons and ligaments) adjusts in one year. Your CV system will say that you can do more, but if you push it too far too fast, you will overstress the other systems. This is why so many runners get injured early in their training.

There is a tendency to want to go longer (I certainly have felt the pull), but it is important to be very measured in how you do it.

The other piece of advice I would give is when adding distance, do it on your long weekend run and slow your pace considerably. Your 5K race pace was 12:15, then your weekend long run should be probably between 13:00-14:00 pace.

Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Add a k to your 5k run, do that for a few weeks, add another k etc etc till you get to 10
    I think its called 10k for pink and its by zenlabs. Hope that helps!

Either of those are good choices or the Bridge to 10k app.

Personally, I think you should also ditch the speedwork / hill intervals for the time being and concentrate on three runs (one being the long run) all at an easy pace (using something like the talk test) for a few months, maybe until your long run is in the region of 12k. Then add in some tempo runs / fartleks as needs be to work on speed endurance.

• loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this myself, and the above advice is good, especially the go slow part. Don't feel like you have to run as much or more than the last run every time. I have run a max of 5 miles so far and its hard not to make your max your new minimum - but like sun_tzu said you need to allow your body to adjust to getting more stress so work up your new distance gradually.

Also, you don't need to be doing 10k comfortably in training to do a 10k race. You need to be in range of that, but it is feasible to have the first time you complete all 10k without walking to be race day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on ditching speed work, you're still base building and will derive more benefit from an additional slower run. To go from 5k to 10? Run consistently, run slowly and gradually increase your distances for your long runs.

The general rule is to not increase your total training volume by more than 10% per week, it's conservative but if you're in it for the long haul the goal is to run injury free and have fun!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    There's a Bridge to 10k Group!

I personally used a 5 to 10k plan after completing the C25k program. Worked for me!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    +2 on setting aside speed work for now. Do two shorter runs and then extend your long run by 0.5-1 km each week until you're at 10K.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for the best and safest way to start increasing my distance and how quickly I should be increasing mileage? I suffered with shin splints last year from working too hard too fast so I would rather not get a repeat this year (none so far!).

Sack the speedwork, it's unlikely to be gaining much as you don't yet have a solid aerobic base.

As upthread, euther use an established plan, or limit yourself to increasing your distance by 10% per week.

Personally I found the Zen Labs trainer didn't work for me, so I used an Endomondo plan which got me to 15K sessions before my first 10K race.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm eagerly following this thread. I signed up for a 10K back in March figuring I'd be ready by September. I still can't run a full 5K. I've accepted the fact I'll be walking a lot.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I'm eagerly following this thread. I signed up for a 10K back in March figuring I'd be ready by September. I still can't run a full 5K. I've accepted the fact I'll be walking a lot.

I went from not running at all to a 10k in 14 weeks, it's doable.

What's your current plan?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    +2 on setting aside speed work for now. Do two shorter runs and then extend your long run by 0.5-1 km each week until you're at 10K.

Yep.

I used to run 5k once a week, do hill sprints once a week, and then do a 'long' run starting at 5k and working my way up to 9k... Once I swapped my hills for 6.5k it made my longer runs easier.
  • Gska17
    Options

Oh, let's see:

1. Deciding it's too hot to run.
    2. Worrying that I won't be able to do it, which leads my training to suffer.

:D

I've just been in a weird mind-place lately.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Oh, let's see:

You'll probably find that running will help with running... :laugh:
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Test it out on a running machine so that you can stop at any stage after 5K and see how far you can go. I used to run 10K in 37 mins and did most of my training on a running machine. For Shin Splints make sure to ice your legs to reduce inflammation and do calf raises on the bottom of your stairs to strengthen them. I had them too and they are bloody awful.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 5k!

You've been given some great advice here. I'll only add that you should look into what 10k races might be coming up in 2 or 3 months and sign up for one. That commitment will help you stay on track.
  • Gska17
    Options

Oh, let's see:

True. I was doing so well with the C25K app then prematurely attempted a 5K in May. My psyche went, "you can't do this!" so I slowed down. :#

Thanks for writing, I'll get back out there! :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Oh, let's see:

True. I was doing so well with the C25K app then prematurely attempted a 5K in May. My psyche went, "you can't do this!" so I slowed down. :#

Thanks for writing, I'll get back out there! :)

The thing is, running is 99% in your head, and it's WAY earlier to talk yourself out of it than talk yourself into it.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and great suggestions. Concensus seems to be bin the interval work, add a third run session and slowly does it