Options
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5
  • lorr1979
    lorr1979 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, I've had a look at New Rules of Lifting For Women but would love to get experiences from those beginners who have tried.
  • danielleann330
    danielleann330 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chalean extreme
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Women can lift like men, you don't need a special woman's program.

Stronglifts 5X5 is a good one.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Live Fit

I've done new rules and loved it. I'm doing live fit right now and really like it so far.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

^Agreed

I started with Stronglifts 5x5, but switched to ICF 5x5 for the extra lifts. NROLFW, I've seen posts saying the book is a good read but the program is I want to say "complicated." (Really not sure if that's the right word) Basically people got good information from the book but preferred other lifting programs.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried NROLFW, but I'm curious as well.

I have tried Stronglifts 5x5 and I really loved it as my second lifting program. I've been switching gyms with new jobs, so I've finally landed back at a lovely place with squat racks again, so I'm planning on taking it back up this month. When I started SL, I already had some experience with barbell lifting, so I was able to progress fairly quickly despite being on a cut. Recently, however, I've found it slightly frustrating as my lifts have stalled. It's expected, though, as I'm at the end of "newb gains" and I'm on a good deficit every day, so I'm not building any muscle. The stall, however, will give me a good chance to try to perfect my form.

Stronglifts 5x5 has a free smartphone app that also offers free form videos and tracks your progress in a graph (you can also track your weight on there). There's paid add-ons, but they aren't necessary and you can use the app just fine without them (I do like the warm-up weight add-on, though).

My first program was Starting Strength, which I really enjoyed as it showed me how to start lifting and helped me build up my comfort with a barbell. I made a lot of strength gains (newb gains) while doing this and noticed it really helped me look and feel better.