Doing It Right This Time!

Options
My name is Amy and I'm a shopaholic. Wait. Wrong forum. Let's try again. My name is Amy and I'm fat. Which makes it really hard to BE a shopaholic! There we go!

Okay, in all seriousness, hello! I'm 28 years old. I was born chubby. I was chubby on my first day of Kindergarten. My only memory from second grade is of being called fat on the school bus. By middle school, I had kids slamming my head into the bus windows. By high school, they had me so frazzled that I dropped out as soon as I turned 18 because I wanted to kill myself and knew I would have if I stayed in school. This has been my life for the last 28 years. Ridicule. I've grown (both internally and externally!) in the last 10 years and I no longer let these comments bother me, but I also know they will never stop, and admittedly, wanting to walk down the street without little kids staring is one of my reasons for wanting to lose weight.

But there are many other, much more important, reasons. I want to be able to run with my 7-year-old nephew before he becomes a teenager and doesn't think it's cool to hang out with Aunt Amy anymore. I want to meet someone and fall in love without being too hard on myself to actually date. I want to have babies someday. I want to go to festivals and fairs with my friends. Heck, I'd just like to be able to go to the grocery store for more than 10 minutes without my back hurting. I want to look in the mirror and truly love myself instead of thinking "Well, this part is okay, but that part is so messed up!". I want to feel GOOD for the first time in my life. And that is where this site steps in. I've been on here several times before, but I come to you now with a renewed and stronger resolve. I AM GOING TO DO THIS!

With that said, I'm sure you guys want to know a bit of stuff about me (or maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyway). I currently need to lose 297.8 pounds. Yes, you read that right. There is no need to adjust your monitor or find your reading glasses. But, more than my weight, I am a person. I'm a freelance writer and editor. I'm in my second year of Journalism school. I love sunshine, jeans, flip-flops, and fashion in general. I'm a musician, a songwriter, and a singer. I used to live in Los Angeles and plan to move back as my reward to myself when I'm at my goal weight. I'm "mommy" to an awesome Jack Russel named Chloe and a not-so-awesome cat named Lucy. We don't really like each other but she needs a place to live and I'm not going to put an animal out on the street - not even one that knocks the trash over daily and tries to attack my arms as I type.

So this is me. Feel free to add me as a friend on here, especially if you have a large amount of weight to lose or are in my area (Central Ohio). I promise I'm not always so long-winded. :)

Replies

• Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy! I could tell you were a writer from the moment I read your first sentence. Welcome to MFP. This place and the people on here are wonderful. You will do fantastic!
  • ritarampage
    ritarampage Posts: 32
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck with your goals!
  • glowgirlie
    glowgirlie Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Amy. You are inspiring and I have no doubt you can do it. I just started a renewed effort too. I don't have a large amount of weight to lose this time, but I it has been a long time since I have stuck to a plan and accomplished my goals, and I feel the same way about it this time. I am ready to do it right and stick to it. I do know what it's like to lose a fairly large amount of weight. I lost 85 pounds when I was 22-23. (I'm 36 now.) I had a similar history of struggling with weight as a kid, and I know well some of the wants you have for yourself in shedding the weight of the burden that the fat creates. It's not the actual fat that is the problem. It's all the emotional pain of not belonging or not being able to _(fill it in with a thousand blanks). It's the health problems and restrictions and obstacles it puts in your life. It sucks. I know it well.

My advice is no matter what, commit to logging everyday. The whole truth and nothing but the truth. That for me is my number one priority. No matter what, I'm going to put it in front of myself in black and white. I know that overall, that will motivate me to make more good choices than bad choices.

Best of luck to you!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Best of luck Amy! Your attitude is contagious! You are going to do great this time!!

D