any breastfeeding moms out there?

Options
I have a 2 month old baby, I'm began my workout routine his week. I'm scared of losing my milk supply I'm on a 2100 calorie daily goal. Want to lose 30 pounds!!!!

Replies

• karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm on a calorie diet of 1810 calories. I also want to lose 30 lbs but mine is almost 7 months old.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 month old baby, I'm began my workout routine his week. I'm scared of losing my milk supply I'm on a 2100 calorie daily goal. Want to lose 30 pounds!!!!

My 2 daughters are 5 months old. After I got home from the hospital I started back to dieting and exercising. I eat 1000 calories a day. My milk does not change unless I don't get enough fluids. You will need to almost double the amount of water you are drinking and up the amount of calcium and vitamin D. Now that you will be moving more your body will be leeching those nutrients more than when you weren't so your milk may start to lack. you may notice it will become more thin or clear. Also to maintain your milk health make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats. I eat a ton of avocado. I also take prenatal vitamins twice a day. Iron is another vitamin you will need to watch. My milk has remained creamy and healthy as long as I watch these things. So biggies are FLUIDS, PRENATAL VITAMINS, PROTEIN, calcium, vitamin D, iron and healthy fats. Pumping in between feedings may also be beneficial in maintaining supply. as a twin mother it is imperative that I pump in-between feeds just to make sure my supply stays sufficient for 2 babies. I had to pump every 2 hours in the hospital when they had me on your usual breastfeeding postpartum diet. Now that im on a lower calorie diet I still pump about every 3 hours. Good luck and hang in there. Because my daughters were severely premature they have to be given special formula on top of breast milk so I end up freezing my extra milk for the times im out in public. If you find that your supply increases or you don't use the pumped milk right away freeze it. it lasts 6 months in a traditional freezer and 2 to 5 years at special banks.
  • lolamud4
    lolamud4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding mom of a 3 week old. Looking forward to exercising again!
  • TabithaLK
    TabithaLK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have my settings in MyFitnessPal at 1800 calories per day (more with activity). I have noticed if I eat less than 1800 or am super stressed that my supply goes down. I am eating extra fats (avocado, nuts, olive oil and some dairy) and typically have stellar supply. I gained 45 pounds during pregnancy and have about 10 left to lose (15-20 in my dream world). I am 16 weeks post-cesarean for a stubborn breech baby :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    newfutures wrote: »

My 2 daughters are 5 months old. After I got home from the hospital I started back to dieting and exercising. I eat 1000 calories a day. My milk does not change unless I don't get enough fluids. You will need to almost double the amount of water you are drinking and up the amount of calcium and vitamin D. Now that you will be moving more your body will be leeching those nutrients more than when you weren't so your milk may start to lack. you may notice it will become more thin or clear. Also to maintain your milk health make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats. I eat a ton of avocado. I also take prenatal vitamins twice a day. Iron is another vitamin you will need to watch. My milk has remained creamy and healthy as long as I watch these things. So biggies are FLUIDS, PRENATAL VITAMINS, PROTEIN, calcium, vitamin D, iron and healthy fats. Pumping in between feedings may also be beneficial in maintaining supply. as a twin mother it is imperative that I pump in-between feeds just to make sure my supply stays sufficient for 2 babies. I had to pump every 2 hours in the hospital when they had me on your usual breastfeeding postpartum diet. Now that im on a lower calorie diet I still pump about every 3 hours. Good luck and hang in there. Because my daughters were severely premature they have to be given special formula on top of breast milk so I end up freezing my extra milk for the times im out in public. If you find that your supply increases or you don't use the pumped milk right away freeze it. it lasts 6 months in a traditional freezer and 2 to 5 years at special banks.

Eating 1000 calories per day, period, is not healthy. Eating 1000 calories per day while producing milk for two babies is insane. Did you mean that you eat 1000 calories extra per day?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    newfutures wrote: »

Eating 1000 calories per day, period, is not healthy. Eating 1000 calories per day while producing milk for two babies is insane. Did you mean that you eat 1000 calories extra per day?

All of this.

My son decided this week he was done. I was over 2000 calories, very active and never had a supply issue. I lost over 25lbs.

Good luck.
  • azfarriss
    azfarriss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I breastfed with both babies (now 2 and 1) while working out a week after delivery. Never had problems with milk and had two healthy babies. Stopped breastfeeding by 9 months. Just eat well balanced. As for the earlier post, no adult should ever eat less than 1200 calories. Breastfeeding requires an additional 500 cals/day and with exercise an additional increase in cals is good. I would fluctuate between 1800-2100 cals per day based on activity. I'm 5'7. I slowly lost the weight I gained through pregnancy. Slow and steady is the best way for long term change. Good luck!