Does anyone have any advice on how to stay healthy when traveling?

Options
I'm on the road a lot for work, so it has been very challenging for me to resist temptation when I'm sitting at the airport for many hours, in a hurry, or having lunch/dinner/drinks with clients :/ not to mention keeping my exercise routine!

Feel free to add me as well- I'm new and looking for support! :)

Replies

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I plan on bringing some protein bars with me for the flight and just buy bottled water at the airport to go with, but you can bring any snack that meets with customs rules where you are going. I can't bring fruits, dairy, meat or veg, so this should work for me just for the flight. Packaged and processed foods are usually ok depending on what is in them. I am going from Canada to the U.S. Once I land and get settled into the hotel I will head out to the nearest grocery store and buy some cottage cheese, fruit and other healthy snacks to keep in my room in the mini fridge to avoid going out for all my meals. I will likely grab some stuff to make wraps that I can take with me while I am out and about. Thinking that I will eat dinners out, but try to make healthy choices.

Good luck!
  • catherine1187
    catherine1187 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that is helpful, i should definitely pack more ahead of time. thanks!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Don't sit at the airport for hours, walk at the airport for hours.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    Don't sit at the airport for hours, walk at the airport for hours.

+1

It puzzles me to see people gathering for long flights where they are going to be cooped up and sitting down for hours ... and they just sit in the waiting area.

I'm up walking around and doing stretching exercises all over the place. In LAX just a few days ago, my husband and I covered about 5 km walking during our layover there.

Lots of water helps too ... if nothing else, it gets you up and walking to find the nearest toilet. :)

• leleskaya
    leleskaya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and slowly managing to change my travel routine... 2 weeks in USA (I live in Denmark) and not being careful and I would gain 5 pounds which would take months to lose :( I can easily be travelling every second month, so all my diet efforts are wasted if I am not careful and go into experience the gastronomy in the country.

So now I usually check in advance for supermarkets around the hotel, go there in the first day and stack my frigobar with my regular food. If in lack of choices or in a country where I cannot read labels, I can easily have a can of tuna and some salad for dinner, for instance. I also rely on Quest Bars that I carry from home to avoid indulging so much in desserts, which are my weak point.

I am not so good on keep my exercising routine when I travel, because I mostly bike for burning calories, and it is not always that I can get a bike where I am. Since those travels are always intensive and I cannot handle very well the time difference and so, I am usually tired when I am back to the hotel and it is hard to hit the gym or even go for a walk :-/ So, since I work giving training, I try to be standing up and walking around the room as much as I can during the day. But I want to get better in the hitting the hotel gym part!!!!

To be realistic, I also plan one or two dinner outs that week, both because I know that my colleagues will invite me for something, or also because I will want try something as well. So, I try to plan and eat low-calories food in the other meals, to compensate for the days I go out. When I am out, I do not want to be neurotic and I want to enjoy it, but I tend to have a natural taste for meats+salad or grains as my preferred foods... I am not a carb-lover and that helps (only sweets are my down point).

Good luck!