What phrase motivates you to hit the gym/mat/road/bike/etc.?

Options
What phrase/mantra gets you excited to work out?

Is there anything in particular that your shoulder devil has trouble arguing against?

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't have a phrase, but I just remind myself of my goals and it motivates me!
  • mday2107
    mday2107 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "Suck it up and one day you wont have to suck it in" "don't give up what you want most... for what you want right now" and "the difference between want and need is self control"
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No phrase motivates me. I started out of necessity and it turned into a habit. Find something you enjoy doing and you won't have to find external motivation to go.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I take inspiration from my motivational guru, Lil 'Jon, when he says (and I quote) LET'S FREAKIN LOOSE IT
  • lilbthebasedgod
    lilbthebasedgod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just saw the hashtag #NoExcuses one day (it doesn't always only pertain to fitness) and it just motivates me. I say it every time I don't want to work out, it lets me get through with it. I want it printed on a few shirts so I can wear it to the gym/going out or whatever lol
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • R222i
    R222i Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "If u can't stop thinking about it,Don't stop working towards it" I love this..
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    No Excuses. It's the name of my gym!
  • icedcupcake1981
    icedcupcake1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me it's "No excuses!" Keeps me going even when i'm tired, fed up, stressed or just not feeling motivated. A session at the gym or a class soon gets me back on track. :)
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    "If you skip a workout, you skip an opportunity to improve yourself."
    I love this phrase! It really gets me to my workout sometimes. I like how it makes me see exercise, not as something I have to do, but as something that is going to help me become a better, stronger, healthier me.
  • redperphexion
    Options
    Those are all great! Thanks!
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    "It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

and

"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating--in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life." - Anne Morriss on Starbucks' "The Way I See It #76"
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    "We do not stop exercising because we grow old. We grow old because we stop exercising."
    -Dr. Kenneth Cooper
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options

That was funny. I'll have to pin it! XD
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "Yesterday you said tomorrow"
  • Mgtei
    Mgtei Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    "You got this." And if it's an especially intense workout, "Breathing will get you through this."—a trainer at my gym while he was telling us to hold a plank for three years or something.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    What the number on my scale says is my biggest motivation. Good, bad or stalled. Also "you can't out exercise your mouth" motivates me when I just want to eat and not count calories...
  • sweetserenity247
    sweetserenity247 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    "I don't sweat, I sparkle!" <3
    this makes me laugh and keep on reaching my goals!
  • redperphexion
    Options
    I love these. I will definitely sparkle instead of sweat from now on. ;)

You've got this/You want this - I do tell myself this halfway through when I want to give up.

This one sort of encapsulates my philosophy... I watched a women's world cup game live, and see dancers and kids; they all move their bodies in incredible ways. I don't want to miss out on what the feels like:
    "It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates