Emotional Eating?

Options
I have a tough question for y'all. How do you keep yourself from emotional eating?

This week has been especially rough for me. There have been a lot of things happening this week, but most of all, my mother passed away two years ago on the 24th. Until this week, I had been doing very well with not going over on my calories and, as a result, have been losing weight. Unfortunately, I haven't been diligent this week and am afraid it will all backfire and I'll just end up where I began. I haven't weighed yet (I weigh every Monday morning), but I'm terrified this week will not only set me back with my weight, but also set me back with my self-esteem.

Do y'all have any pointers? I cannot seem to muster the strength to not gorge this week.

Replies

• Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are struggling with your loss. Don't let it define you. What helps me is to plan my day before it begins. I put what I plan on eating in my food log and carry luch and snacks with me. It helps to keep me on track. Get back on track, I know you can do it!
  • PJmetts
    PJmetts Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I believe we all have days, moments or weeks, of weakness or emotional upheval. Forgive yourself, and move forward. When we beat ourselves up, we end up living in defeat and stay there, defeating ourselves (I'm expert at that!). Tomorrow is a new day, plan for it now. GIve yourself a hug, move forward. Your mom would be proud that you are here and reaching out for help.
  • catelee03
    catelee03 Posts: 19
    Options
    i am deffinately an emotional eater. and its really hard to just not eat! the things that can help is doing things to take your mind OFF the fridge!! which to me can be inpossible if i just sit watch tv its like every 5 mins my mind thinks of food. so some of the things i do is listen to my music and draw or knit or anything i really have to concentrate or loose myself in. also going out and taking a walk can help it also helps me think about things that are going on in my life that are making me emotionally eat in the first place! i hope this helps even a little. feel free to add me as a friend so we might tell each other to stop going into the kitchen!! :)
  • sarcastje
    sarcastje Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a Bulemic so i know about eating when my emotions are messd up, when im anxious, when i am stressed, when i feel lonely, when i feel ugly, whenever really. What helps me through it most is my friends, and this website. I am trying to fix myself day by day. I am taking Anti Depressants, but need to get my dose changed because I JUST got done with 3 days of bad eating but I picked myself back up today and went running and stuff to not have too much damage. :) I dont know if this helps you at all.
  • catelee03
    catelee03 Posts: 19
    Options
    PJMetts>>>>>>> I really like this! it's so true :D
  • AwkwardPumpkin
    AwkwardPumpkin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I know this is a different caliber of loss for me but it hurts just the same. My dog of 16 years died on Tuesday night. It was hard and all day Wednesday I cried and even thinking about it now has me teary eyed and looking for cake. But, I have been pushing pass this. When I just want to EAT EAT EAT I go for a run or a walk or something to get me away from the house and food. It is hard to pull out that willpower but sometimes it has to be done.

The day he died, I went for a run, it was the hardest most intense run of my life, but when I got home, I felt 100% better and didn't want to shove my face into a bowl of chocolate. What I am saying is, find something to substitute food with, for me it's exercise.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    *bumping* for myself because i also emotionally eat..
    and so sorry for your loss, mainly commenting because i can relate as i lost my mom 2 years ago in april

anniversaries are hard :( hope you have an okay week!! you aren't alone
  • adrianamezam
    Options
    you did the best thing you could have by reaching out for help. and i agree with the two ther posters, dont let this derail you. though i cant begin to imagine what you must be going through, i know that we all have moments of emotional destress and turn to food for comfort, but dont let it break you. get it all out of your system and think about how proud your mother must be that youre doing something this GREAT for yourself. tomorrow is a new day. let it be better than today. sending you positive thoughs and happy energy. (((hugs!)))