Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is this effective for weight loss? (exercise)

So instead of running 10 mins per day. I've decided to do 10-15 minutes of skipping/Jump Rope a day. Today, I've done less skipping due to being busy. However, this is what I got. 470 skips, in 5 minutes 30 seconds. I have no idea how much calories I've just burn't. Can anyone figure it out?

Also, would this be effective to lose weight? I do longer sessions than this. This is a minimum.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Exercise isn't really for weight loss.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    It will help, but you're going to lose weight more effectively by controlling your intake.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Exercise is for health; a caloric deficit is for weight loss.

Eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight whether you exercise or not.

You can play around by logging the skipping into MFP at the different levels, but it'll be fairly inaccurate.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Only if you're eating in a calorie deficit and logging your food intake/exercise accurately
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    It depends on how many calories you eat.

Also that is about 85ish skips per minute.

Activity (alphabetical) Calories burned per pound per minute
    Jumping Rope (70 jumps per minute) 074
    Jumping Rope (125 jumps per minute) 080
    Jumping Rope (145 jumps per minute) 089

What I found off goggle. the chart cam right up

Source: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CalorieBurnChart.htm
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Skipping rope is a great exercise that will increase your heart rate hence improving your cardiovascular system, your strength in your core and your knees, and overall fitness.

http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/activity/calculators/jumping_rope
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Agree with the previous posters about CICO and exercise. Furthermore, I believe that you'll need, at least, 20 minutes or more of any cardio exercise to be long-term beneficial--I would recommend building to more than sixty minutes of cardio, three or more times per week, too. [The Government recommends a minimum of 180 minutes of moderate activity per week; i.e., moderate activity raises one's heart rate and "breaks a sweat."]
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    your diet is going to have a far greater impact on your weight loss than exercise. exercise is great for you...and it has the added benefit of increasing your body's calorie requirements which in turn makes it easier to sustain a reasonable energy deficit without having to eat like a little bird...but exercise isn't necessary at all to lose weight (though I highly recommend regular exercise for overall health and well being).

I ride roughly 80 miles per week...sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less...I lift weights a few days per week...I walk my dog about 3 miles 3-4 times per week...I throw in a little swimming and some hiking in there as well. I have lost weight, maintained my weight, and gained weight all the while doing those things. The difference between those three weight management goals wasn't my exercise, it was the number of calories I was eating.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Skipping rope is good cardio exercise but the calories consumed determines your weight loss.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Jumping rope burns about 10 calories a minute. So you burned 50 calories...diet is for losing weight; exercise is for health.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    if you are skipping rope and over eating you will gain weight...