Drinking water while exercising - now it's bad for you - another study mucks things up.

Options

Replies

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    In the movie Jarhead, I remember a scene where he had to drink massive amounts of water and it made him spew-guts. So the article must be true.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    At least 14 athletes including a woman who died two days after completing the Marine Corps Marathon in 2002 are believed to have died from drinking too much during exercise in a condition known as exercise-associated hyponatremia...
    Deaths from hyponatremia (2002 - present) = 14
    MFP Threads regarding "death by water" (2012 - present) = 1,400
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    "Fluid intake recommendations suggesting that athletes begin to drink fluids before the onset of the sensation of thirst were targeting those exercising in situations where high sweat rates were present and dehydration could evolve rapidly with known medical and performance outcomes," they said. "Unfortunately, this advice fostered the misconception that thirst is a poor guide to fluid replacement in lower sweat rate situations. We believe that this has facilitated individuals choosing to inadvertently adopt overdrinking."

Yes, and heat exhaustion and even STROKE is a real and serious concern. I grew up in the South. The coaches made anyone practicing outside near summertime take extra drink breaks because heat suppresses normal thirst signals. No one was/is telling non-sweaty, non-hot athletes to guzzle water. And they didn't do it when it wasn't hot because when it's not hot, you feel thirsty soon enough.

I also worked a day camp where we made the girls take a drink of water every time they changed activities for the same reason. There were always a couple of girls in the first aid tent with ice water in front of the fans, even with those precautions, because they started to get heat exhaustion. (We were all trained to recognize the signs.)

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Aggressive and to excess. The chances of water intoxication are small as you have to drink a lot in a very short space of time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to agree with the article. My.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564296/
  • ck8882013
    ck8882013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think they are referring more to athletes or more specifically endurance athletes. I am a runner. In the world of ultra marathoning there is a fine line between hydrating and over hydrating. I have known people who have over hydrated and wound up with hyponatremia which is very scary. If you are just an average exerciser then drinking when you're thirsty is fine.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I have no knowledge of the study and am not interested in researching it but many studies are done by people with an agenda to prove before they start. Oftentimes funded by the marketing department of a manufacturer.

People need to be discerning and learn when to ignore "experts" and use common sense.

This "common sense" you speak of, where does one find it? May it be purchased? If not, then how does someone go about obtaining it?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    At least 14 athletes including a woman who died two days after completing the Marine Corps Marathon in 2002 are believed to have died from drinking too much during exercise in a condition known as exercise-associated hyponatremia...
    Deaths from hyponatremia (2002 - present) = 14
    MFP Threads regarding "death by water" (2012 - present) = 1,400

Sounds about right...
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I spent a summer on the Sinai peninsula ( 110+ degrees ) when I was in the US Army. I was an Infantryman, and we trained every day. We did forced hydration 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The hottest parts of the day, it was a quart or more of water an hour.

Drinking that amount of water makes you physically ill ( sick to your stomach ), to the point you have to force yourself to choke it down. And that's not even half of what you would have to consume in order to achieve water intoxication.

Its just not gonna happen in the gym or on a jog.
  • dutchesstee
    dutchesstee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are sweating tons for long stretches... hours upon hours... then you need replace some fluids with an electrolyte replacer for sodium loss.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »
    I spent a summer on the Sinai peninsula ( 110+ degrees ) when I was in the US Army. I was an Infantryman, and we trained every day. We did forced hydration 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The hottest parts of the day, it was a quart or more of water an hour.

Drinking that amount of water makes you physically ill ( sick to your stomach ), to the point you have to force yourself to choke it down. And that's not even half of what you would have to consume in order to achieve water intoxication.

This I do believe...

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    pmm3437 wrote: »

Did you have to use the bathroom constantly or did you sweat it all out?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have long wondered how all this, "No, no, we can't trust our thirst to guide us!" stuff began. I didn't know people were being told by "experts" they trusted to drink excessive amounts of water.

Athletes need to be reminded to obey their sense of thirst. They get busy and don't notice it until it's quite strong and then they ignore it, a "playing through the pain" deal. Pay attention to it, but don't second-guess it.

Some people have medical or psychological conditions that alter their thirst and drinking. They need to learn how to drink the appropriate amounts of water.

Healthy people with a normal sense of thirst do not need to count glasses of water, check their urine or do anything at all except drink some water when they're thirsty.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I read a study once that said 100% of the people who drink water die.

Link????
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I read a study once that said 100% of the people who drink water die.

Link????
    And was it peer reviewed?

• DuckReconMajor
    Options
    I have anecdotal evidence if that helps. I drank water and died.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Please let us know where to send flowers
  • DuckReconMajor
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Please let us know where to send flowers
    Please send them to my ex-wife I have yet to marry, widow, and divorce.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Note the use of "excess." I drink a quart of fluid during my 6000 yard swim but still lose about 4 pounds of water weight, ~a half gallon.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Note the use of "excess." I drink a quart of fluid during my 6000 yard swim but still lose about 4 pounds of water weight, ~a half gallon.

Now, Now you're making some pretty big assumptions here that the majority of people on these forums have something called 'common sense.' I'm still waiting to find out where I can get it, buy it, find it, etc...