I am 60 years old and I am disabled and can't do any exercise I have cut my calories to 1,000 a day.

Options
2»

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Chiming in on talking with your doctor. You might ask about swimming pool exercises, like walking across the pool and stuff like that. No impact, very slow, but it gets you moving and might a good option.
  • javakitty
    javakitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating healthy foods. Lots of vegetables, some fruit, lean meats, and healthy oils. If your body is getting the correct nutrients it will be easier to lose.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    buddangie wrote: »
    To 1,000 a day not losing weight can you help me please getting married in September help
    To 1,000 a day not losing weight can you help me please getting married in September help
    I. Count every thing that goes in my mouth drives my man to distraction I am 5ft 6and weigh 12stone 6lb I also drink 2 litres of tap water. A day

You should be able to lose weight eating at minimum 1200 calories without any exercise... probably more. With 29 lbs to lose a reasonable goal is .5 to 1 lb a week. If you are not losing anything at 1000 calories then you are eating more than you think, choosing the wrong entries (logging inaccurately) or you should talk to your doctor/dietician about medical conditions or medications that may be making it more challenging for you to lose weight.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If you have only 29 lbs to lose, you could postpone your weight loss until after your bypass surgery. Given your COPD, spinal arthritis and heart disease, you should consult your physician first before you embark on a weight loss program.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    Disability shouldn't automatically affect your ability to exercise. I know two women who use wheelchairs who completed their yoga teaching certification. Even if you're area isn't progressive enough to have multiple disabled yoga instructors, you can talk to your doctors and therapists about what could be an option, like helping you get to a pool to work with a physical therapist..

I don't know what your disability is, or what your limitations are. I did work for many years as a hearing impaired singer and actress (and human pin cushion with someone else's organ living inside me), so I know something about living in a non-normative body. I weigh and measure my food (except last week when I was recovering from my 7th surgery), I try to choose foods that will give my body awesome material to build new tissue, and I am honest and fair with myself about changes I can make to look and feel better. Feel free to add me.

Ya, I went through yoga teacher training with a woman with MS and another with some sort of back injury. I also know a yoga teacher whose spine is fused from AS.

@buddangie do work with your medical team to find what you can do. Lots of great suggestions in this thread but you should probably clear them with your team.
  • buddangie
    buddangie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Vune wrote: »
    Disability shouldn't automatically affect your ability to exercise. I know two women who use wheelchairs who completed their yoga teaching certification. Even if you're area isn't progressive enough to have multiple disabled yoga instructors, you can talk to your doctors and therapists about what could be an option, like helping you get to a pool to work with a physical therapist..

I don't know what your disability is, or what your limitations are. I did work for many years as a hearing impaired singer and actress (and human pin cushion with someone else's organ living inside me), so I know something about living in a non-normative body. I weigh and measure my food (except last week when I was recovering from my 7th surgery), I try to choose foods that will give my body awesome material to build new tissue, and I am honest and fair with myself about changes I can make to look and feel better. Feel free to add me.

Ya, I went through yoga teacher training with a woman with MS and another with some sort of back injury. I also know a yoga teacher whose spine is fused from AS.

@buddangie do work with your medical team to find what you can do. Lots of great suggestions in this thread but you should probably clear them with your team.

• buddangie
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the advice Angela
  • buddangie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    work with your doctor regarding what exercise might be advisable. there is plenty of activities out there but it's finding ones that work for you. walk what you can. try chair yoga. etc. youtube might have some ideas to get you started not knowing exactly what your physical limitations are presecriptive versus personal decisions

• buddangie
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    work with your doctor regarding what exercise might be advisable. there is plenty of activities out there but it's finding ones that work for you. walk what you can. try chair yoga. etc. youtube might have some ideas to get you started not knowing exactly what your physical limitations are presecriptive versus personal decisions

• buddangie
    Options
    I will try chair yoga thank you Angela
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I. Count every thing that goes in my mouth drives my man to distraction I am 5ft 6and weigh 12stone 6lb I also drink 2 litres of tap water. A day

Do you mean it makes him angry?? It shouldn't, you are doing what you need to do to reach your goals. My husband cuts labels out for me to help me in my logging. Especially since exercise is an issue, logging food for weight loss is even more important...
  • buddangie
    Options

Do you mean it makes him angry?? It shouldn't, you are doing what you need to do to reach your goals. My husband cuts labels out for me to help me in my logging. Especially since exercise is an issue, logging food for weight loss is even more important...

• buddangie
    Options
    He is only joking he helps me every way he can angie