Chips!

Options
I love chips, especially the plain old potato chips. It's my weakness. I tried popcorn instead but it just doesn't satisfy. Any tips?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    eat them! if you must have more than the recommended dose, which is 10 chips...then make sure you are ready to walk/run/cycle a little extra that day. I don't restrict myself on any food but sometimes chips just aren't worth it
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I still eat chips, I just buy the small single serving bags, otherwise I would probably eat more than I should. I do enjoy the baked lays potato chips but they aren't as tasty as plain greasy ole chips.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah, potato chips are fairly calorie dense but they aren't as bad as say, candy. If they aren't a super binge-trigger for you I don't see why you can't keep a bag around and fit them into your goals.

If they are, then maybe kale chips? make some kind of chip yourself that's less caloric?
  • tiffyland21
    tiffyland21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Exercise then you can eat it. Most of the time I would be like that. I rather not eat in the end because then I have to do 30 min - 1 small bag of chip is too tiring and not worth it. It isn't filling either
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am with you I love love chips. love popcorn but chips are my nemesis!!!! I am going to try and bake some zucchini to night in thin slices see what happens.
  • sun_tzu
    sun_tzu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this. Nacho cheese flavored Doritos are my kryptonite. My best response is to not have them in the house.

Also, it makes a trip to the sandwich shop special as I budget for the calories and get a bag there.
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Found some Coconut Oil Kettle Chips by Boulder Canyon..... they are SO good and I don't feel *quite* as guilty eating those. Only three ingredients.... potatoes, coconut oil and sea salt.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Multipacks have fewer grams per pack hence fewer calories
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Oh chips and salty crunchy things are my weakness too. I try not to keep them in the house and as others have said you just budget your calories for them so you can have them and get a single serving bag when you do.
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I get unsalted sweet potato chips. Good macros, vitamin A, and low sodium. And they taste good. They're kind of expensive though.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    When I get in chip mode I weigh out some chips in a bowl and eat them.

I check the serving size first to have an idea about how many grams I'm going to want before I weigh them, but I don't always eat the actual serving size because there's something satisfying about throwing an extra chip or two into the bowl. Weighing them out like that helps me enjoy the chips instead of clenching the bowl and nibbling like a starving lunatic, which is what used to happen when I counted out a serving.

Oh, and weighing them out prevents the Sophie's choice of having to choose between the big chips and the little chips when counting them out. (Because ten big chips is the same number of calories as ten little chips, right? :# )
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I love chips too, and I eat them almost daily in moderation. My tip is to buy them, weigh them (use food scale), eat them, log them, and most importantly enjoy them!
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I got all excited thinking this thread was about this CHiPs:

2wdmrz89s01z.jpg
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Why do you like chips? Texture, salty? If it's salty, add more salt to your popcorn. That's a near enough substitute for me that it works. If I'm still craving chips, I go down to the gas station and get a small bag. Granted that's usually 2 servings, but it's better than having a large bag in the house that I will go through in just a couple of days!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Fit them chips into your daily calories. Simple. :smile:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i burn a lot of calories in a day and i also need a wackload of extra sodium to make up for what i lose through my ridiculously high sweat rate. lol... so, if i find a bag of chips that comes in under 1000 cal for the bag, i'll just eat the whole thing and it's no problem.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Meh. I just make my own using root veggies. Turnips, radishes, parsnips, etc. A little oil and sea salt and throw them in the oven. Figure out what temp works best, and you'll get the same crunch out of them.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with many here – budget for the chips already! There are some out there that are more "natural" than others, maybe try some of those options? Or, try making some yourself at home in the oven. Otherwise, just have your chips in reasonable quantities.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Popchips. I usually eat the lightly salted ones.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Just an extra comment, most of the chip alternatives aren't really any better for you than chips calorie-wise. I was sorely disappointed to discover that. ><

Also, if you like veggies, try the Peasnaps they have. I was only ok with them (added more salt to mine), but they're very close to thick chips, so you might like them.